Topic: Future of the Modding Community?

(Modding and other series related projects)

Topic: Future of the Modding Community?

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi all,

Over the past years a lot of us have been working hard to reverse engineer Shenmue and other software related to it.

After many many years of doing this, I personally have no clue what to do anymore on terms of shenmue hacking. Aside from my bike mod, which is all AI hijacking. Which I will probably never finish.

What do you guys think still need to be done?

As of this writing, I guess I am finished until Shenmue 3 comes out.

EDIT:
I dont mean fun little mods (IE character swaps, forklift hacks, etc.), I mean actual fundamental techniques (IE Save file region neutralization, clipping removal, etc.)
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: Topic: Future of the Modding Community?

Postby GameRoomsRising » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:46 am

I would say that if most of the modders feel the same way as you, the next step is to up the game and create a playable, stand alone, multiplayer mod that is separate from Shenmue 1 and 2. A Shenmue fighting game.

Imagine a fan made game where you can choose from any number of fighters; Ryo, Lan Di, Fuku-San, Ren, Dou Niu, Master Baihu, etc, and fight with them. At the very least there could be users of Hazuki style karate, and users of Tiger Swallow style. Why Tiger Swallow? The move set already exists in Shenmue, we have two known users of it in the Shenmue universe, and all it would take (as an uneducated guess) would be to pull the animations from the files and map them to the controller. And of course the work for the Hazuki style has already been done.

Imagine doing so in locations set across the Shenmue universe; the Hazuki Dojo, the top of the Yellow Head building, the park in the South Carmain Quarter, cliff side in Guilin, the Mad Angel's base, the parking lot in Dobuita, etc..

There could be a mode where you have to fight and survive each boss from the Shenmue universe in succession, no breaks, no forgiveness. Chai, Guishan, Chai, Terry, Greg, Rod, Chunyan, Master Baihu, Dou Niu. At the end of it, upon successful completion, perhaps you could unlock Lan Di for use as a fighter.

Would this mod be easy? Gods no! Would it be righteous? Hell yes. It'd take a lot to pull off, you'd have to learn a lot more about programming, but there are Dreamcast devs still out there who may be willing to help, or at least to teach. Yet, many of the assets exist, and the main work would be in coding. It could be released for emulators and/or as an .iso to be burned and played on the Dreamcast itself. Let's also not forget that the Dreamcast is internet capable, so someone with experience systems architecture/whatever may be able to set up a server for online play.

I'm not a fan of fighting games, but I'd play the hell out of a Shenmue one.
GameRoomsRising
Asia Travel Representative

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:54 am

GameRoomsRising wrote: I would say that if most of the modders feel the same way as you, the next step is to up the game and create a playable, stand alone, multiplayer mod that is separate from Shenmue 1 and 2. A Shenmue fighting game.

Imagine a fan made game where you can choose from any number of fighters; Ryo, Lan Di, Fuku-San, Ren, Dou Niu, Master Baihu, etc, and fight with them. At the very least there could be users of Hazuki style karate, and users of Tiger Swallow style. Why Tiger Swallow? The move set already exists in Shenmue, we have two known users of it in the Shenmue universe, and all it would take (as an uneducated guess) would be to pull the animations from the files and map them to the controller. And of course the work for the Hazuki style has already been done.

Imagine doing so in locations set across the Shenmue universe; the Hazuki Dojo, the top of the Yellow Head building, the park in the South Carmain Quarter, cliff side in Guilin, the Mad Angel's base, the parking lot in Dobuita, etc..

There could be a mode where you have to fight and survive each boss from the Shenmue universe in succession, no breaks, no forgiveness. Chai, Guishan, Chai, Terry, Greg, Rod, Chunyan, Master Baihu, Dou Niu. At the end of it, upon successful completion, perhaps you could unlock Lan Di for use as a fighter.

Would this mod be easy? Gods no! Would it be righteous? Hell yes. It'd take a lot to pull off, you'd have to learn a lot more about programming, but there are Dreamcast devs still out there who may be willing to help, or at least to teach. Yet, many of the assets exist, and the main work would be in coding. It could be released for emulators and/or as an .iso to be burned and played on the Dreamcast itself. Let's also not forget that the Dreamcast is internet capable, so someone with experience systems architecture/whatever may be able to set up a server for online play.

I'm not a fan of fighting games, but I'd play the hell out of a Shenmue one.

Sadly I do not have the time or energy to work on this but it is a great idea!

Another one of our community members is already working on a Shenmue Fighting Game, which was announced on Shenmue500K via Facebook.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby GameRoomsRising » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:00 pm

shengoro86 wrote:Sadly I do not have the time or energy to work on this but it is a great idea!

Another one of our community members is already working on a Shenmue Fighting Game, which was announced on Shenmue500K via Facebook.

It definitely wouldn't be a one person job, but would take a sizable team to accomplish. I'll look into that fighting game in the making though.
GameRoomsRising

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:46 pm

GameRoomsRising wrote:
shengoro86 wrote:Sadly I do not have the time or energy to work on this but it is a great idea!

It definitely wouldn't be a one person job, but would take a sizable team to accomplish. I'll look into that fighting game in the making though.

yeah true. So far it is seeming to be pretty cool!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:43 am

Wait for Shenmue HD and ideas should pop out naturally I guess.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Fenix » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:53 am

Shenmue 3 will bring more ideas. Specially since you buy UE4 .
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Giorgio » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:44 am

The ultimate goal would be to understand some interesting code snippets of Shenmue 1 & 2's SH-4 assembly. That would truly empower modding.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: shengoro86
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Fenix » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:15 am

Giorgio wrote: The ultimate goal would be to understand some interesting code snippets of Shenmue 1 & 2's SH-4 assembly. That would truly empower modding.

Our main problem is the extractors/converters doesn't work correctly.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Fenix wrote:
Giorgio wrote: The ultimate goal would be to understand some interesting code snippets of Shenmue 1 & 2's SH-4 assembly. That would truly empower modding.

Our main problem is the extractors/converters doesn't work correctly.

yeah true, i am also diving intoi sh-4 in my free time but like you told me we need good debuggers which im lost on sadly.

For now, I am just focusing on some pretty intricate hex edits to fuck with the AI functions in NPCs. After that, either we crack SH-4 modding or we wait for Shenmue I suppose?
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby ReeceKun » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:41 pm

I suppose realistically It would be to wait for Shenmue 3 to come out on PC hoping it contains all of the same game mechanics as Shenmue 1 & 2 and then focus Shenmue Modding on the Shenmue 3 engine and port all of the Dreamcast assets into it to recreate Shenmue in a PC environment BUT hopefully some game developer will realise this idea themselves and release Shenmue on a PC platform even if it isnt a HD update.

Thinking about Shenmue Dreamcast Engine modding really takes Dreaming to the next level, yes we can fuck with mapinfo code but thats really all we will ever be able to do. Making new areas, objects , dialogue, animations is just a far fetched fantasy .. Unless Yu released all the Dreamcast Asset tools which would be lovely but then we are still confined to a pretty obsolete game engine.

I really want to create a solid archive of 3D models but I just know that by the time its done some bastard will appear with a new model ripping program or they will just re-release shenmue on the PC theirby wasting my time for an 'environment' I love but a story I hate
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:14 pm

ReeceKun wrote: I suppose realistically It would be to wait for Shenmue 3 to come out on PC hoping it contains all of the same game mechanics as Shenmue 1 & 2 and then focus Shenmue Modding on the Shenmue 3 engine and port all of the Dreamcast assets into it to recreate Shenmue in a PC environment BUT hopefully some game developer will realise this idea themselves and release Shenmue on a PC platform even if it isnt a HD update.

I agree. As for the vidual assets, we have already scripted a mass conversion for all PVRs to PNGs which can then be directly imported into UE4. As for the building and area models, not my field.

ReeceKun wrote:
Thinking about Shenmue Dreamcast Engine modding really takes Dreaming to the next level, yes we can fuck with mapinfo code but thats really all we will ever be able to do. Making new areas, objects , dialogue, animations is just a far fetched fantasy .. Unless Yu released all the Dreamcast Asset tools which would be lovely but then we are still confined to a pretty obsolete game engine.

That would be pretty cool if we could do that. There have been advances in making custom doors and such. I've seen a youtube video of someone doing it but I do not recall the channel.

ReeceKun wrote:
I really want to create a solid archive of 3D models but I just know that by the time its done some bastard will appear with a new model ripping program or they will just re-release shenmue on the PC theirby wasting my time for an 'environment' I love but a story I hate

Yeah true. I would wait it out before wasting time for now.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Return to Community Projects