Beta/Unused Scene of Nozomi & Ryo

(Modding and other series related projects)

Beta/Unused Scene of Nozomi & Ryo

Postby Giorgio » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:24 pm

I've found (like, a year ago...) an unused scene in Shenmue I, that I've never seen before!

Unfortunately, it seems to belong to a really old beta map, and the textures of the buildings get in the way, so I've to remove them in order to see the characters clearly.

I've to set the levels of expectations, though: it's short and a lot of the voices/lip syncing and lines are missing. But still interesting!

phpBB [video]

There are three recordings of the scene: 1) with some textures removed to not get in the way (because the camera's movements are not consistent with the current map), 2) with nothing removed/ripped, 3) with using the beta/old map of Sakuragaoka.

Back then I was trying to change the map with another (like, with Dobuita's) but after some tries didn't make it and then 'forgot' about it. Give it a try, too, if you want and see if something changes or look better. Probably, that scene takes place in another area, or in one that is not even in the data.

Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Re: Beta/Unused Scene of Nozomi & Ryo

Postby BlueMue » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Interesting! This seems to be some sort of leftover beta stuff related with the first cutscene at Sakuragaoka Park.
It looks like an alternate beginning, instead of the phone call. Looks like Nozomi is leaning against a wall or something. Could be that she was waiting just outside the park or somewhere in Dobuita, as I assume you have already guessed too by the area code beginning with D.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: nskachu
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Giorgio » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:42 pm

BlueMue wrote:[...] Could be that she was waiting just outside the park or somewhere in Dobuita, as I assume you have already guessed too by the area code beginning with D.

That's a good point. And I believe that's the case. One of us has to change the map the scene takes place to Dobuita's and see!
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Awesome discovery!

From the look of it, I feel like Blue is on to something. I'd suggest trying this out on a standard Dobuita, since there are many walls for them to lean on or even try the beta Dobuita (YQ14).
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Giorgio » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:39 am

shengoro86 wrote:[...] I'd suggest trying this out on a standard Dobuita, since there are many walls for them to lean on or even try the beta Dobuita (YQ14).

I tried that back then (with Dobuita's standard map) but at the time couldn't make it. Hope someone else will!
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:57 am

Thank you Giorgio! This was great to see! I wonder what else there is still undiscovered? =D>
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:03 am

Sonoshee wrote: Thank you Giorgio! This was great to see! I wonder what else there is still undiscovered? =D>

Thanks! I wonder myself, too; Shenmue is like a bottomless pit of discoveries! A fountain of details.

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Sonoshee
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:11 pm

I'd like to hack around and see this scene play out in other maps and find out where it is supposed to happen. Problem is, I never really got anywhere with swapping maps around when I tried it.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:29 pm

BlueMue wrote: I'd like to hack around and see this scene play out in other maps and find out where it is supposed to happen. Problem is, I never really got anywhere with swapping maps around when I tried it.
From what I remember:

The general theory is to change the data of the MAPINFO file of the area you want to load, that is the data previous to the keyword ECAM.
So, if you want to change it to Dobuita's, you copy all the data previous to the keyword ECAM of the MAPINFO file of Dobuita's, and you replace all the data previous to the keyword ECAM of the MAPINFO file of DNOZ with the data you copied before.
Also, you have to replace any and all MAP files of DNOZ with those found in Dobuita's folder.

The thing is, if you change that data, then it ceases to play the cinematic sequence. Therefore, I think more delicate modifications have to be made in order to play.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:16 pm

Giorgio wrote:
BlueMue wrote: I'd like to hack around and see this scene play out in other maps and find out where it is supposed to happen. Problem is, I never really got anywhere with swapping maps around when I tried it.
From what I remember:

The general theory is to change the data of the MAPINFO file of the area you want to load, that is the data previous to the keyword ECAM.
So, if you want to change it to Dobuita's, you copy all the data previous to the keyword ECAM of the MAPINFO file of Dobuita's, and you replace all the data previous to the keyword ECAM of the MAPINFO file of DNOZ with the data you copied before.
Also, you have to replace any and all MAP files of DNOZ with those found in Dobuita's folder.

The thing is, if you change that data, then it ceases to play the cinematic sequence. Therefore, I think more delicate modifications have to be made in order to play.

I forgot to add this to the shen mods page when dumping stuff. Sorry.
In my warp zone tutorial, you can find this method though.
https://sites.google.com/site/shenmuemods/shenmue-i/remove-warp-zone-from-tomato-convenience-store
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Fenix » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:33 am

Lol. How many more secrets could have the game?
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:02 am

Fenix wrote: Lol. How many more secrets could have the game?

So many... but that is why it is so much fun to hack
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Return to Community Projects