Can you replace the textures with higher resolution one?

(Modding and other series related projects)

Can you replace the textures with higher resolution one?

Postby asdfguy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:38 pm

I'm new to modding. I know you can replace the textures in shenmue. I was wondering if it is possible to replace the with high resolution ones? Like if a texture is 256x256 pixels can I replace it with a 512x512 pixels?
asdfguy
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Can you replace the textures with higher resolution one?

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 pm

Welcome to the modding scene!

Let me contact someone who can answer this.

From what I have seen, you can NOT make PVR replacements that are larger than the original, but I am not sure about the MT5/MT7 containers.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Fenix » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:26 pm

shengoro86 wrote: Welcome to the modding scene!

From what I have seen, you can NOT make PVR replacements that are larger than the original, but I am not sure about the MT5/MT7 containers.

Interesting. Normally you can't do that because the hex value changes but some softwares let you keep the original value and make the replacement posible. I used to do that to change textures in the game "Dragon Ball Online".
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:36 pm

Fenix wrote:
shengoro86 wrote: Welcome to the modding scene!

Interesting. Normally you can't do that because the hex value changes but some softwares let you keep the original value and make the replacement posible. I used to do that to change textures in the game "Dragon Ball Online".

I recall speaking to Ilducci about this. I reached out to him for clarification.
I know that when I use PVrs larger than the original I run into memory issues.
But yeah, I do remember some odd technique to getting higher rez textures in shenmue 1 atleast.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby brad86 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:33 pm

Hopefully one day it will be possible. I would personally just like higher resolution hud elements. I'd leave everything else at it should be. If we get a PS4/PC release, I'm guessing that's all they would likely change ( hopefully ) along with proper widescreen support.
brad86
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:25 pm

You can replace textures with higher resolution files.

I once converted the textures for Ryo from the Xbox Shenmue II into PVRs and put them in the Dreamcast version. They are much higher resolution then the DC originals.

It is of very limited use however. It worked indoors and for the cutscene I needed it in but as soon as I stepped outside the game crashed. The game already fills the RAM and VRAM of the Dreamcast with a lot of data and there is not much room for more. I've seen this work on emulators without any problems though. There are some screenshots floating around the forums somewhere.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:51 pm

BlueMue wrote: You can replace textures with higher resolution files.

I once converted the textures for Ryo from the Xbox Shenmue II into PVRs and put them in the Dreamcast version. They are much higher resolution then the DC originals.

It is of very limited use however. It worked indoors and for the cutscene I needed it in but as soon as I stepped outside the game crashed. The game already fills the RAM and VRAM of the Dreamcast with a lot of data and there is not much room for more. I've seen this work on emulators without any problems though. There are some screenshots floating around the forums somewhere.

Yep. I wish the DC had a bit more RAM :(

-------
I grabbed Ilducci on Skype.
He answered with this:

Ilducci (Via Skype) wrote:PKF/PKS level textures cannot be enlarged at this point, as far as I know
MT5/MT7 textures can be enlarged with SiZ's Model/Texture Editor, but beware with the RAM
SPR textures can be enlarged as well, but there's no point as they should be good enough, and if you wanna enlarge, per example, a loading screen, you need to hack the 1ST_READ.BIN

shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby PILMAN » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:14 pm

BlueMue wrote: You can replace textures with higher resolution files.

I saw someone using a model apparently from the 4th disk of shenmue I, but as you mentioned, it only worked indoors and was kind of wacky. Any way to get this to work on the emulator?
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to Community Projects