Removing the QTE sounds in Shenmue

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Removing the QTE sounds in Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:54 am

Great work guys! This seems to be the best working solution so far and I think one can easily live with it.
In the list there are several beeps. Are only the QTE beeps muted now or is it still shared with the menu beep?
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Sorry to ask but is there any chance using codebreaker codes to mute QTE sound effects?
Shenmue_Trilogy
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Switch » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:07 pm

BlueMue wrote:In the list there are several beeps. Are only the QTE beeps muted now or is it still shared with the menu beep?

Two sounds from the list (the short QTE beep & the QTE correct sound) are reused in the menu screens so the result is they get muted there too. But other menu beeps still play as normal, such as the four quick beeps.

Shenmue_Trilogy wrote:Sorry to ask but is there any chance using codebreaker codes to mute QTE sound effects?

It should be possible - for simplicity I suggest using the first method I looked at, which mutes the QTE sound effects but also a few additional ones such as the notebook page flip sound.

In Demul the change is to set 4 bytes at memory location 20810358 to zero. Perhaps someone can help convert this to a format suitable for Codebreaker.

Switch has received a thanks from: Shenmue_Trilogy
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Radar » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:40 am

Switch wrote: the trial version of the software

Well.. there is always "cured" version if you know what I mean ;-)
Switch wrote:
In Demul the change is to set 4 bytes at memory location 20810358 to zero. Perhaps someone can help convert this to a format suitable for Codebreaker.

That's address is for sound RAM i.e it is below 2C000000, I think Codebreaker works only with main RAM unfortunately :sad:
I believe there should be some values in main RAM, but the question is how to find them?..

Radar has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Shenmue_Trilogy
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby wataro » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:58 pm

how lovely it would be to be able to adjust the SFX on this game, damn the qte and menu beep is so fucking hipitched and loud STFU

Im guessing its not possible to recompile an iso with a modified audio track with padding or the method is not known yet?

Juts being able to mute the fucking beep would be bilss, ill be sure to try this at a later date!
good work!

note for remaster version porters turn down the fucking beep
wataro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Switch » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:24 am

wataro wrote:Im guessing its not possible to recompile an iso with a modified audio track with padding or the method is not known yet?

I can't think of a reason that would prevent you from building a new iso image after editing the MISC\SYSTEM1.SND file using one of the methods above, to remove the QTE sounds & menu beeps. (Not sure if this answers the question?)
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby wataro » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:25 pm

Switch wrote:
wataro wrote:Im guessing its not possible to recompile an iso with a modified audio track with padding or the method is not known yet?

I can't think of a reason that would prevent you from building a new iso image after editing the MISC\SYSTEM1.SND file using one of the methods above, to remove the QTE sounds & menu beeps. (Not sure if this answers the question?)

I was thinking dumping then editing the SFX audio track by -10dB
and repacking it as an ISO rather than just 00'ing out parts

usually this will break stuff to shit specially if if the size is different, im not well versed in the mod scene so I'm not sure what tools are available right now and what limitations apply, either way i'll be sure to 00 me some SFX !!
wataro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Switch » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:10 am

wataro wrote:
Switch wrote:

I was thinking dumping then editing the SFX audio track by -10dB
and repacking it as an ISO rather than just 00'ing out parts

usually this will break stuff to shit specially if if the size is different, im not well versed in the mod scene so I'm not sure what tools are available right now and what limitations apply, either way i'll be sure to 00 me some SFX !!

Ah, ok, got you. In that case you could use the Awave Studio method that Radar suggested like I did up above to reduce the amplitude in those parts of the soundwave data. This will keeps the filesize the same and doesn't break the game if you make sure to replace the header data again, but it was a pretty fiddly process. Either way, good luck!
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby nierlaika » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:24 am

Switch wrote:
The modified SYSTEM1.SND can be downloaded here.

Hi mate, can I get a rip of those QTE sounds, please? Trying to make an Excite QTE 2 game while learning Construct 2 and I can't find a clean/complete example of the QTE sounds.

I know it's a bother, but could you rip them for me, seeing as you sound like you know what you're doing? :p

I did find the complete SFX pack and the notifications pack but there were various issues with using them (unusable format, cut short, sounds in the back ground)
nierlaika
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Switch » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:46 am

Try this, I've just made a video & mp3 download that includes them.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/0 ... ction.html

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Switch on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby nierlaika » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:32 pm

Switch wrote: Try this, I've just made a video & mp3 download that includes them.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/0 ... ction.html

Mate, that's perfect! Thank you very much!
nierlaika
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Previous

Return to Community Projects