question about modding shenmue into one disc

(Modding and other series related projects)

question about modding shenmue into one disc

Postby richterw » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Some time ago i was messing with the beta of shenmue, and i even made a topic asking if it was possible to play all the game in just one disc, as it is possible to start in the first day in the disc 3 of the beta, and look for sailors and stuff, even if missing voices for those dialogues, but my playthrough ended at the Heartbeats bar because probably the file for the event don't exist in the disc. So, most of the scenarios are in the final disc as leftovers, no?

Could it be impossible to make this into a one disc game, maybe adding the missing files to one of the discs (probably disc 3 of the beta), or in some way, turning the 3 discs into a single cdi image, even if this gets a larger filesize?
richterw
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue beta

Re: question about modding shenmue into one disc

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:24 pm

richterw wrote: Some time ago i was messing with the beta of shenmue, and i even made a topic asking if it was possible to play all the game in just one disc, as it is possible to start in the first day in the disc 3 of the beta, and look for sailors and stuff, even if missing voices for those dialogues, but my playthrough ended at the Heartbeats bar because probably the file for the event don't exist in the disc. So, most of the scenarios are in the final disc as leftovers, no?

Could it be impossible to make this into a one disc game, maybe adding the missing files to one of the discs (probably disc 3 of the beta), or in some way, turning the 3 discs into a single cdi image, even if this gets a larger filesize?

I do not think it is possible since so many files and such would need to be packed into packages and thus become oversized to where the game engine couldn't handle them correctly.

From a file system standpoint on the disc, yeah it could happen. But... due to code logic, resource conjuring, and compression techniques, I feel like doing it would cause some sort of game breaking behavior.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: question about modding shenmue into one disc

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:42 pm

I tried to make an all-in-one disc of the beta some time ago where I just threw all the area folders together.
The disc image was something like 1.4 GB and that was too much for the Dreamcast with GDEMU to read.

I forgot if the emulators also couldn't load the image. Maybe the image building just needs optimization with so many changes to the structure and size but so far it looks like it's impossible. For the Dreamcast it's only feasible for users with a USB / SD device anyway.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: shengoro86
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to Community Projects