What's Shenmue mod - Jumping Ryo

(Modding and other series related projects)

What's Shenmue mod - Jumping Ryo

Postby Switch » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:39 am

I have sometimes wondered what it would be like if Ryo had the ability to jump under player control. I hadn't seen this being done before - or more likely it has been but I've missed it! Anyway, inspired by the great modders we have here at the Dojo I gave it a crack for What's Shenmue.

The result is successfully being able to replace the kneel/crouch action, which is activated with the X button in What's Shenmue, with a jump animation for Ryo instead.

Here's a sample of Ryo trying to jump onto the boxes of fish at Uokichi on the Dobuita main street (unfortunately, it's not possible though):

phpBB [video]

General description of the change made:

Most of the time was spent investigating the contents of the MOTION.BIN file to find out how it's structured. I eventually located the place that points to the 3 kneeling animations - kneeling down; kneeling position; getting up - and updated these to point to the animation for Ryo's jumping instead.

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: What's Shenmue mod - Jumping Ryo

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:57 pm

that's cool. I don't think any mod like that has been done before

south carmain has received a thanks from: Switch
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby johnvivant » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:43 am

it actually looks pretty good.

is creating a running jump possible?

it would be cool to have a little assualt course of boxes to jump over and climb up on.

we know the game has a climb up and jump down animation from that point in the game when you move the box in order to go through the window at the back of warehouse humber 8.
well done switch.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Switch
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Switch » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:21 am

south carmain wrote: that's cool. I don't think any mod like that has been done before

That's good to hear!

johnvivant wrote:is creating a running jump possible?

it would be cool to have a little assualt course of boxes to jump over and climb up on.

we know the game has a climb up and jump down animation from that point in the game when you move the box in order to go through the window at the back of warehouse humber 8.
well done switch.

thanks! Yup, other animations like a running jump can be switched in as well. Here's Ryo climbing up on a box:

As you can see, Ryo "climbs up" in mid-air. :) Some kind of interactive course for Ryo would be cool! But I think the appropriate collision information would also need to be set up in the environment map to allow it. In my What's Shenmue testing I've tried jumping / climbing on various things like garbage bags, bins, the dog etc but the game won't let Ryo do so, even though the animation plays.

Switch has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:05 am

I guess that's due to Ryo's collision box staying the same despite the animation.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:55 pm

That's awesome! I asked a modder here before if it was possible and they confirmed it was, I think. But that Ryo wouldn't actually be able to jump on anything, except into the air.

I've always wanted to jump and dick around in Shenmue. I want to be like Wong and play on the fountain. :rotflmao:

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: Switch
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Switch wrote: I have sometimes wondered what it would be like if Ryo had the ability to jump under player control. I hadn't seen this being done before - or more likely it has been but I've missed it! Anyway, inspired by the great modders we have here at the Dojo I gave it a crack for What's Shenmue.

The result is successfully being able to replace the kneel/crouch action, which is activated with the X button in What's Shenmue, with a jump animation for Ryo instead.

Here's a sample of Ryo trying to jump onto the boxes of fish at Uokichi on the Dobuita main street (unfortunately, it's not possible though):

phpBB [video]

General description of the change made:

Most of the time was spent investigating the contents of the MOTION.BIN file to find out how it's structured. I eventually located the place that points to the 3 kneeling animations - kneeling down; kneeling position; getting up - and updated these to point to the animation for Ryo's jumping instead.

Great work!!

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Switch
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:02 pm

Sorry. This pic is a meme generator.