Ryo's bicycle animations (What's Shenmue mod)

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Ryo's bicycle animations (What's Shenmue mod)

Postby Switch » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:51 am

south carmain wrote:Do you think there's any chance of making it functional in game?

The animations here are just one small piece of what is needed, but I'm optimistic that this goal can be reached eventually.

The results of the bicycle hacking/modding carried out by James (shengoro86) have shown some very promising results. (Link to thread). I think it would be worth continuing to experiment with these approaches, in particular: (1) looking into how to place Ryo under full control of the game's AI so he will follow the daily schedule and actions of a bicycle-riding NPC, and (2) taking a situation where Ryo rides a vehicle already (e.g. the motorbike) and modifying it to swap in the appropriate objects / animations / behavior for Ryo on a bicycle.

BlueMue wrote:The animations when the bike is standing and Ryo is just chilling with his hands on his hips or bending over handlebars are among the coolest things I've ever seen him do.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why Yu decided to take the bicycle away... can't have Ryo looking too cool 8)

You can really feel the effort that some poor developers put into all this, even though it was removed in the end.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Switch wrote:
south carmain wrote:Do you think there's any chance of making it functional in game?

The animations here are just one small piece of what is needed, but I'm optimistic that this goal can be reached eventually.

The results of the bicycle hacking/modding carried out by James (shengoro86) have shown some very promising results. (Link to thread). I think it would be worth continuing to experiment with these approaches, in particular: (1) looking into how to place Ryo under full control of the game's AI so he will follow the daily schedule and actions of a bicycle-riding NPC, and (2) taking a situation where Ryo rides a vehicle already (e.g. the motorbike) and modifying it to swap in the appropriate objects / animations / behavior for Ryo on a bicycle.

Already on it.
Your findings have re-peaked my interest. I will report back if I make more progress.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Switch » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:04 pm

shengoro86 wrote:
Switch wrote:

Already on it.
Your findings have re-peaked my interest. I will report back if I make more progress.

Great to hear this!

Switch has received a thanks from: shengoro86
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:35 pm

So now that we know the variables for the bike animations, I wonder if Wang uses the same ones? Maybe we could do some switcherooing and get it to work. I'll work on this next week. It may be possible to port these animations into shenmue beta if necessary. However, I feel that maybe WS has code snippets that the beta does not, hence why the animations are present there but not anywhere else.

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Switch
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Switch » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:47 pm

shengoro86 wrote:So now that we know the variables for the bike animations, I wonder if Wang uses the same ones?
Good point, that's definitely worth looking into. Some of the motion names suggest that the NPC animations may be separate from those for Ryo (although the actual animation data may be identical) such as these ones inside MISC\M_OBJ.BIN of Shenmue I:
Code: Select all
    OTH_JITENSYA_NORU_EN_F
    OTH_JITENSYA_NORU_ST_F
    OTH_JITENSYA_STAND_DOWN_F
    OTH_JITENSYA_STAND_LP_F
    OTH_JITENSYA_STAND_UP_F
    OTH_RIDE_BIKE_EN_F
    OTH_RIDE_BIKE_ST_F

One thing I have noticed from digging into the motion files so far is that in general the motions appear to be handled in the code using their motion index number, rather than the motion name (e.g. a hex value in the data of 00000278 rather than "AKI_JITENSYA_NORU_ST"). I'll put together a list of motion names and their corresponding index numbers which should help make it easier to spot where are being referenced or set elsewhere in the files.

Switch has received a thanks from: shengoro86
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:48 pm

Here's my cheap mod approach to put Ryo on the bicycle. It does work but it doesn't quite "move" right. :lol:
Amazingly, while Ryo is sitting too low on it, Nozomi's position matches sitting on the pannier rack really well.

BlueMue has received 7 thanks from: Esppiral, johnvivant, Kiske, Mr357, ShenGCH, shengoro86, Switch
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:56 am

That's fantastic :lol:

Love the "firefly" trail behind the bicycle :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby BlueMue » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:59 am

I figured out how to get rid of the motorcycle lights after more messing around, so it looks even more "legit" now.
It's already evident in the screenshot but it's fascinating that the game even turns on the bicycles own headlight.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:00 am

BlueMue wrote: Here's my cheap mod approach to put Ryo on the bicycle. It does work but it doesn't quite "move" right. :lol:
Amazingly, while Ryo is sitting too low on it, Nozomi's position matches sitting on the pannier rack really well.

Christ. No wonder Ryo walks so stiffly :shock:

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Esppiral
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Switch » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:16 am

I've added a couple of pages to the Shenmue Mods site:

1. File structure of the MOTION.BIN file for What's Shenmue. This basic file structure for animations is used throughout the Shenmue games.
https://sites.google.com/site/shenmuemo ... -structure

2. List of animation names & index numbers contained in the MOTION.BIN file of What's Shenmue.
https://sites.google.com/site/shenmuemo ... motion-bin

Switch has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, shengoro86
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:33 pm

I made a video of the bicycle driving down Wish Road with correct lights and some added ideas that turned it into a full blown mod.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46812&p=1137820#p1137820
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:36 pm

BlueMue wrote: Here's my cheap mod approach to put Ryo on the bicycle. It does work but it doesn't quite "move" right. :lol:

hahah nice.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby johnvivant » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:15 pm

LanDC wrote: Yeah there's several pieces of data regarding the bike on the discs. There's even some help information in the 1st_read.bin of What's Shenmue. Like when you press start while riding the bike, it tells what works the horn and whatnot. It's very possible that everything we need is there, but activating it is no easy task.

can you tell us what the full controls for riding the bike were?
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Radar » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:22 am

Just wondering, In What's Shenmue, if you replace Ryo's walking\running animation with some other, will he still be able to move(change his coordinates, like if he was really walking\running) or he'll just stay in one place?
Do you think it'll be possible to import bicycle animation from What's Shenmue to Shenmue I?
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Switch » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:36 am

Radar wrote: Just wondering, In What's Shenmue, if you replace Ryo's walking\running animation with some other, will he still be able to move(change his coordinates, like if he was really walking\running) or he'll just stay in one place

In some cases, he moves. If you replace his animation with a jump type of animation, for example, then he moves forward with the jump each time. But for the animation of pedaling on his bicycle, Ryo pedals on the same spot and doesn't move forward. So I think his movement when he is on a bicycle is separate logic that is not embedded in the animation.

Radar wrote:Do you think it'll be possible to import bicycle animation from What's Shenmue to Shenmue I?

Actually, Shenmue I already has its own set of unused bicycle animations for Ryo, sitting in the file SCENE\01\FREE\M_BIKE.BIN, so compatibility of the animation data shouldn't be a problem. But how and when to trigger these animations is a big unknown right now.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects