Ryo opens train door - unused animation

(Modding and other series related projects)

Ryo opens train door - unused animation

Postby Switch » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:51 am

While digging around in a file of Ryo's animations I came across one that sounded interesting, named AKI_AKI_TRAIN_DOOR, so I hooked it up to trigger within the game. Here's how it looks:

Video:
phpBB [video]

Although it's a fairly straight-forward animation, from the naming my guess is that it may have been made for use in the "train" chapter that Yu Suzuki had planned for after Ryo left Hong Kong. The animation would fit for the situation when Ryo is moving between two carriages on a train through a sliding door (with the door sliding shut behind him).

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Ryo opens train door - unused animation

Postby scarless landi » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:15 am

Great find! The amount of unused assets is astonishing.

scarless landi has received a thanks from: Switch
scarless landi
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: PhoenixMirror
Steam: PhoenixMirror
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:19 pm

It looks almost identical to the animation for sliding house doors at first glance, but Ryo makes a much bigger step than normal.

This is a great find! I wasn't expecting that there would be some reference to the train left in the game. Then again What's Shenmue was still pretty early in the developement of the saga and it seems they haven't ditched the idea there yet.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Switch
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:37 pm

This is such a great find. Great work Switch!!!!!!

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Switch
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby south carmain » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:49 pm

Interesting that a planned shenmue 2 animation is in shenmue 1. Makes you wonder how much of the second game was completed when the first was released.

On a related note it would have been great if they had left the train segment in. I guess they had already pushed the gd-roms to their size limits though.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Radar » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:18 am

south carmain wrote: Interesting that a planned shenmue 2 animation is in shenmue 1. Makes you wonder how much of the second game was completed when the first was released.

Yeah.. They even have Ren's low poly model with transparent textures left in first game.

Radar has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:31 am

Excellent find, Switch! From the looks of it, Ryo, as you suggested, appears to be walking between carriages, especially as the step he takes following the 'opening' is a pretty big one; as if he's stepping over the gap between the two.

Maybe the idea is that Ryo has to work his way down to a particular carriage in order to find an exit hatch in the ceiling, use that to climb on top of the train, and at some point after doing so, this happens:

Could there be a person of interest in a guarded carriage, and the only way Ryo is able to make contact with them is by infiltrating in this way?

Reminds me of Broken Sword :D

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Switch
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:06 am

Every time I think of a scenario with that train, I always come back to it being some private Chiyoumen train, like the one Trevelyan had in Goldeneye.

Peter has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:02 am

Peter wrote: Every time I think of a scenario with that train, I always come back to it being some private Chiyoumen train, like the one Trevelyan had in Goldeneye.

ditto
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:29 am

That or Ryo was avoiding border patrol because he didnt have a visa lol
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Switch » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:51 am

ShenGCH wrote:Maybe the idea is that Ryo has to work his way down to a particular carriage in order to find an exit hatch in the ceiling, use that to climb on top of the train, and at some point after doing so, this happens:

Could there be a person of interest in a guarded carriage, and the only way Ryo is able to make contact with them is by infiltrating in this way?

I was watching the snippet of train video from Project Berkley again, and noticed something I hadn't before.

To me it looks as if Ryo is falling facing upwards (may have been pushed?) towards the speeding train from somewhere at the side. He just has time to twist around to grab on to part of the carriage with a single hand, clinging on for dear life as his legs are swept behind him.

Here is the sequence, slowed down:

Switch has received 4 thanks from: Esppiral, Giorgio, Kiyuu, ShenGCH
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:31 am

Switch wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:Maybe the idea is that Ryo has to work his way down to a particular carriage in order to find an exit hatch in the ceiling, use that to climb on top of the train, and at some point after doing so, this happens:

I was watching the snippet of train video from Project Berkley again, and noticed something I hadn't before.

To me it looks as if Ryo is falling facing upwards (may have been pushed?) towards the speeding train from somewhere at the side. He just has time to twist around to grab on to part of the carriage with a single hand, clinging on for dear life as his legs are swept behind him.

Here is the sequence, slowed down:

Wow, this adds a whole new layer to things! Yeah, he definitely looks as though he has been pushed/kicked/punched from a train on the next set of tracks. Judging from the way Ryo travels through the air, can it be safe to assume both trains are heading in the same direction? I know this is unconventional for trains, but I'm no expert as far as Chinese train lines go (nor do I have any reason or explanation for why I would be :P), so this is a possibility.

If, however, the trains are travelling in opposite directions, as per the convention, perhaps there will be a QTE section whereby Ryo has to jump back onto the train he was previously launched from before the tracks divert and Ryo loses it forever?

In any case, I guess that means train roof fight/QTE confirmed :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Community Projects