Shenmue II: The Movie

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby Mr357 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:43 pm

phpBB [video]


phpBB [video]


It's finally time to break my silence on this matter. I've been working on Shenmue II: The Movie for almost two months now, and recently finished recording disc 2 of the game. I've set Christmas of this year as the deadline, but hopefully I'll be finished much sooner, and will have time to do some kind of promotion. If you have any ideas and or would like to help, feel free to PM me.

Shenmue I and II are much more different on a technical level than I expected, and with changes come new challenges. In some ways, Shenmue II: The Movie will be superior to its prequel, but in other ways I've had to make compromises. I can't go too into depth about this right now, but I will say that despite what's seen in the trailer, fights have to be done in 4:3 since the camera does not work properly in 16:9. That being said, I am once again using the 16:9 Auto Fixer created by Dojo members Esppiral, Masterchan777, and Sappharad, and for the most part it works wonderfully (naturally, there's glitches that can't be helped).
As a result of that poll I ran in the old thread, and for consistency's sake, the movie will be in English thanks to the fantastic mod created by Sm1th. I've played through Shenmue II a few times in the past using the mod, and initially I was worried that I'd run into a plethora of sync issues during conversations. There have been some, but thankfully it's been very limited so far, and nothing I can't work around.

I don't have an estimate for run time yet, but I think it'll be shorter than the 5 hour marathon that was Shenmue: The Movie Remastered. This time, I'm trying to limit myself on the number of secrets and extras being shown. My ultimate goal is for newcomers to actually play the games themselves, since there's so much they'll never experience simply by watching. However, that doesn't mean the movie will strictly contain story elements. Similarly to the first project, I've made it a point to include a variety of gameplay features and cutscenes.

That's about it for now. If you liked the trailer, please share it, and as always, if you'd like to help out with the project in any way, send me a PM. Thanks!
Last edited by Mr357 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shenmue: The Movie Remastered
phpBB [video]

4:3 version
phpBB [video]

Shenmue II: The Movie
phpBB [video]

User avatar
Mr357
Dojo Donor
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: March 2015
Location: United States
Steam: Mr .357
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Special announcement!

Postby south carmain » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:02 pm

Keep up the good work
Image

south carmain has received a thanks from: Mr357
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Special announcement!

Postby Nankeiro » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:04 pm

I'm sure you'll make a huge amount of work to give to the fans a great story compilation, Mr357. Thank you in advance!
Image

Nankeiro has received a thanks from: Mr357
User avatar
Nankeiro
Dojo Donor
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: December 2009
Location: Mexico
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby Peter » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:04 pm

YES!
Image
Image

Peter has received a thanks from: Mr357
User avatar
Peter
Shenmue 3
Shenmue III
 
Joined: February 2004
Location: Ireland
PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:53 pm

awesome job!!!
Image

--------------SHENMUE 3 MOD TEAM LEADER: THE CHIYOUMEN--------------

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Mr357
User avatar
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: August 2004
Location: New Jersey, USA
PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby sand4fish » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:27 pm

I downloaded your first movie off the youtube. Almost 8 gigs later, I watched it and every single second was worth it! Thanks so much for the work and I can't wait for this! :D

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Mr357
User avatar
sand4fish
Dojo Donor
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: November 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby Mr357 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:03 pm

sand4fish wrote: I downloaded your first movie off the youtube. Almost 8 gigs later, I watched it and every single second was worth it! Thanks so much for the work and I can't wait for this! :D


I don't understand how YouTube can encode videos so much without them looking like complete trash. The original file was over 28GB.
Shenmue: The Movie Remastered
phpBB [video]

4:3 version
phpBB [video]

Shenmue II: The Movie
phpBB [video]
User avatar
Mr357
Dojo Donor
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: March 2015
Location: United States
Steam: Mr .357
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby sand4fish » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:38 pm

Mr357 wrote: I don't understand how YouTube can encode videos so much without them looking like complete trash. The original file was over 28GB.


Damn... 28GB! I got it 1080/60fps. Though I'm sure there's some loss in quality compared to your original, it still looks awesome and sharp (exactly how it looks on your Youtube video).

User avatar
sand4fish
Dojo Donor
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: November 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby Sappharad » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Mr357 wrote:I can't go too into depth about this right now, but I will say that despite what's seen in the trailer, fights have to be done in 4:3 since the camera does not work properly in 16:9.

I don't know the details of which code the auto-fixer uses, but there were two different widescreen codes. There were the original ones I released, which accomplished widescreen by crushing the screen horizontally, and there was another released by Espprial that did it by zooming the camera out and expanding the screen vertically. In normal gameplay, both codes looked pretty much the same, but Espprial's method fixed "pop-in" when objects were outside the 4x3 area. His zoom change also didn't work during cutscenes, (but the vertical expansion did) so the code removed the top and bottom borders which made the cutscenes look identical to the originals but in 16x9 without borders. I know his code also resulted in a different camera when buying stuff, but I never actually reached the point where I could try it in a battle.

It's probably too late at this point, but if the tool supports it, (or you have the means to apply the codes yourself via Cheat Engine) you might want to try one versus the other to see if one works correctly while the other does not. The original code that I released does cause the game to crash during 2 of the cutscenes (according to people who've played with it) so maybe you can use one when you need it and the other for places where the current one you're using doesn't work?

I'm looking forward to your efforts. I've always wanted to re-create some of the Shenmue 2 trailers in 1080p but haven't gone through the necessary efforts to set up a machine capable of proper recordings. I can just harvest the necessary clips from your movie and save myself some time. :-)

Sappharad has received a thanks from: Mr357
Sappharad
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: October 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby Mr357 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:20 pm

Sappharad wrote:
Mr357 wrote:I can't go too into depth about this right now, but I will say that despite what's seen in the trailer, fights have to be done in 4:3 since the camera does not work properly in 16:9.

I don't know the details of which code the auto-fixer uses, but there were two different widescreen codes. There were the original ones I released, which accomplished widescreen by crushing the screen horizontally, and there was another released by Espprial that did it by zooming the camera out and expanding the screen vertically. In normal gameplay, both codes looked pretty much the same, but Espprial's method fixed "pop-in" when objects were outside the 4x3 area. His zoom change also didn't work during cutscenes, (but the vertical expansion did) so the code removed the top and bottom borders which made the cutscenes look identical to the originals but in 16x9 without borders. I know his code also resulted in a different camera when buying stuff, but I never actually reached the point where I could try it in a battle.

It's probably too late at this point, but if the tool supports it, (or you have the means to apply the codes yourself via Cheat Engine) you might want to try one versus the other to see if one works correctly while the other does not. The original code that I released does cause the game to crash during 2 of the cutscenes (according to people who've played with it) so maybe you can use one when you need it and the other for places where the current one you're using doesn't work?

I'm looking forward to your efforts. I've always wanted to re-create some of the Shenmue 2 trailers in 1080p but haven't gone through the necessary efforts to set up a machine capable of proper recordings. I can just harvest the necessary clips from your movie and save myself some time. :-)


I must be using Esppiral's hack then. The cutscenes are mostly fine, but there is some premature de-spawning at the top and bottom of the screen. The most notable glitch is that it removes some characters' hands, even if they're in the middle of the screen. For those situations, I've had to record the scenes in the original letterboxed 4:3 and then crop off the black borders.

When buying items, looking around in first person, or fighting, the camera behaves sporadically. It zooms in and out about every 5 seconds.
Shenmue: The Movie Remastered
phpBB [video]

4:3 version
phpBB [video]

Shenmue II: The Movie
phpBB [video]
User avatar
Mr357
Dojo Donor
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: March 2015
Location: United States
Steam: Mr .357
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:35 pm

The absolute madman! :D

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Mr357
User avatar
ShenGCH
Dojo Donor
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: January 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby wart » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:47 am

Great news! :) Loved the first one and can't wait to check out this one. Keep up the good work!

wart has received a thanks from: Mr357
User avatar
wart
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative
 
Joined: June 2015

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:17 am

So, if it's a movie, why show qtes?
User avatar
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: May 2003
Wii U: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:22 am

Fantastic! Thank you! =D>
Those, who follow the path of a warrior, must be ready to die, in order to stand for one's convictions, live for one's convictions, die for one's convictions. That is how I lived my life.

Image

Kiske has received a thanks from: Mr357
User avatar
Kiske
Dojo Donor
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: August 2015
Location: Switzerland
PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue II: The Movie

Postby Mr357 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:35 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote: So, if it's a movie, why show qtes?


Because they're way too much trouble to remove, and I think they're an important part of the experience. Can you honestly say you don't love the sound that plays when you pass a QTE? I find it incredibly satisfying. Apart from that, there's no way I was going to be able to reasonably remove all of the HUD elements and other stuff, and at the end of the day everyone understands that a game is a game, even if you make it into a "movie."
Shenmue: The Movie Remastered
phpBB [video]

4:3 version
phpBB [video]

Shenmue II: The Movie
phpBB [video]
User avatar
Mr357
Dojo Donor
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: March 2015
Location: United States
Steam: Mr .357
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Next

Return to Community Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gromber and 24 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net