Series: The Shenmue Theorists

(Modding and other series related projects)

Series: The Shenmue Theorists

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:39 am

Hi All,

Norris from Shenmue500k and myself decided to start recording theory videos related to the series.

They are unscripted and just us having conversations about it.

I invite you all to check out the first episode which goes over the following topics:
- The mirrors practical use
- The mirror descriptions from Master Chen and Zhu Yuanda
- The Terracotta Army
- The area of Lintong, Xi'an, Shaanxi, China
- The player focused mirror nuances
- And much more!

Peter and LanDC are credited for their work in this video.

Hope you like it!

phpBB [video]

shengoro86 has received 5 thanks from: BlueMue, johnvivant, Mr357, ShenGCH, Switch
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: Series: The Shenmue Theorists

Postby BlueMue » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:25 pm

Those Jokes, James... :lol:

Nice video, was interesting to watch. Of course I read all the theories but I never mind hearing about them.
Always gives me the feeling that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg of what Shenmue's story has to offer.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Mr357 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:41 pm

Great video! If you need more game footage for future episodes, shoot me a PM. Since completing Shenmue II, I've got just about everything you could ever need.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:00 pm

BlueMue wrote: Those Jokes, James... :lol:

Nice video, was interesting to watch. Of course I read all the theories but I never mind hearing about them.
Always gives me the feeling that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg of what Shenmue's story has to offer.

Haha yeah man the cringe is real. Thanks for watching! Shenmue has so many wonderful mysteries :D

Mr357 wrote:Great video! If you need more game footage for future episodes, shoot me a PM. Since completing Shenmue II, I've got just about everything you could ever need.

Thank you!! I will keep this in mind. Thanks!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:30 am

Great video, man! The only criticism I can offer is you interrupted Norris quite a few times while he was explaining stuff, which was a little unfair. I get your excitement theorising about these things, but let the man speak :)

In regards to Lan Di being labelled as the leader of the Chi You Men in the first game, I agree it was probably a translation error, and what they meant was he is a leader within the Chi You Men along with Niao Sun, Koutei, Gentei, and Tentei, the grand overlord magician king.

Also, do you think the Mirrors could possibly 'choose' who to obey in terms of the alignment of those in possession of them? Lan Di, for example, is evil and wishes to unleash Chi You upon the world and turn everything to shit, whereas Ryo and Shenhua, as per the prophecy, are the good guys and the only ones capable of banishing Chi You for evermore and saving the world. In this sense, the dragon is 'within' those who are evil, whereas the phoenix is 'within' those who are good, and the fate of what eventually happens when the mirrors are brought together - the Dragon and Phoenix Mirrors coming together, almost like a clash between good vs. evil - depends on the alignment (and intentions) of those who are able to bring them together? Maybe this so-called "treasure" of the Qing Dynasty is actually the place in which the Mirrors must come together in order to decide the fate of the world? If you used both Mirrors as a map in order to reach that location - which, naturally, means you have both in your possession - maybe they're leading you to their final resting place? They're almost self-serving, if you will.

Maybe I'm just talking complete crap, but I'd like to hear your thoughts :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Switch » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:25 am

ShenGCH wrote:In regards to Lan Di being labelled as the leader of the Chi You Men in the first game, I agree it was probably a translation error, and what they meant was he is a leader within the Chi You Men

Yes, the original Japanese wording bears this out. Here's a comparison with what Master Chen says in Japanese:

Official in-game translation: "An organization called Chi You Men, its leader goes by that name."
vs
Direct translation from Japanese: "I heard there's a man going by that name among the leaders of an organization called Chi You Men."

In Japanese the word "kanbu" (幹部) is used, which indicates a leadership group i.e. more than just a single person.

Switch has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:01 am

ShenGCH wrote: Great video, man! The only criticism I can offer is you interrupted Norris quite a few times while he was explaining stuff, which was a little unfair. I get your excitement theorising about these things, but let the man speak :)

In regards to Lan Di being labelled as the leader of the Chi You Men in the first game, I agree it was probably a translation error, and what they meant was he is a leader within the Chi You Men along with Niao Sun, Koutei, Gentei, and Tentei, the grand overlord magician king.

Also, do you think the Mirrors could possibly 'choose' who to obey in terms of the alignment of those in possession of them? Lan Di, for example, is evil and wishes to unleash Chi You upon the world and turn everything to shit, whereas Ryo and Shenhua, as per the prophecy, are the good guys and the only ones capable of banishing Chi You for evermore and saving the world. In this sense, the dragon is 'within' those who are evil, whereas the phoenix is 'within' those who are good, and the fate of what eventually happens when the mirrors are brought together - the Dragon and Phoenix Mirrors coming together, almost like a clash between good vs. evil - depends on the alignment (and intentions) of those who are able to bring them together? Maybe this so-called "treasure" of the Qing Dynasty is actually the place in which the Mirrors must come together in order to decide the fate of the world? If you used both Mirrors as a map in order to reach that location - which, naturally, means you have both in your possession - maybe they're leading you to their final resting place? They're almost self-serving, if you will.

Maybe I'm just talking complete crap, but I'd like to hear your thoughts :)

Yeah haha. We were both super excited and I had a bit too much coffee right before we filmed. I'll keep it in mind :D

As for the theory on the mirrors, I willl get back to you on this since I am at work with limited time.

Switch wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:In regards to Lan Di being labelled as the leader of the Chi You Men in the first game, I agree it was probably a translation error, and what they meant was he is a leader within the Chi You Men

Yes, the original Japanese wording bears this out. Here's a comparison with what Master Chen says in Japanese:

Official in-game translation: "An organization called Chi You Men, its leader goes by that name."
vs
Direct translation from Japanese: "I heard there's a man going by that name among the leaders of an organization called Chi You Men."

In Japanese the word "kanbu" (幹部) is used, which indicates a leadership group i.e. more than just a single person.

Ah cool! Thank you for clearing this up :D

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Himuro » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:30 pm

Shengoro, why the community projects forum? :)
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby johnvivant » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:56 pm

I wonder whether the people at Bailu village thought that Iwao was the chosen one from the prophecy when he was there training? He would have fitted the description as much as Ryo, only he arrived there sooner. False Messiah? MIrrors stolen? Iwao; thief or protector?

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Himuro
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:36 pm

Himuro wrote: Shengoro, why the community projects forum? :)

Since I cover more than just one game, I considered it a video project :)

johnvivant wrote:I wonder whether the people at Bailu village thought that Iwao was the chosen one from the prophecy when he was there training? He would have fitted the description as much as Ryo, only he arrived there sooner. False Messiah? MIrrors stolen? Iwao; thief or protector?

Good question! Would be interesting if IWao turned out to be a bad person in the scope of things.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:47 pm

johnvivant wrote: I wonder whether the people at Bailu village thought that Iwao was the chosen one from the prophecy when he was there training? He would have fitted the description as much as Ryo, only he arrived there sooner. False Messiah? MIrrors stolen? Iwao; thief or protector?

The prophecy makes reference to Shenhua (more-so in Shenhua's recitation at the end of Shenmue II), who was still a good twelve-ish years off being born if Iwao visited Bailu Village at eighteen, so I don't think the villagers would mistake Iwao as the 'chosen one'. I wouldn't doubt their intrigue upon discovering where he came from, however.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ReeceKun » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Ryo was stolen at Birth and Lan-Di ...is his Brother , Scar/Plaster on cheeck (coincidence? I think not) dun dun derrr
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Great video! I have a quick question. Where can I get whatever you guys were smoking? You seemed overly jolly that day and no amount of caffeine does that to me. :D

sand4fish has received a thanks from: shengoro86
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:15 pm

sand4fish wrote: Great video! I have a quick question. Where can I get whatever you guys were smoking? You seemed overly jolly that day and no amount of caffeine does that to me. :D

Nope. No weed being smoked. I actually have never smoked pot before (although im totally for it being legalized in the USA).

Just two boys happy to talk about Shenmue :)

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Would love to see this series continue :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Community Projects