Shenmue I Swapping Models in intro, chai cd2 fight, ending?

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue I Swapping Models in intro, chai cd2 fight, ending?

Postby Kuroioni » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Hey everyone,
Does anyone have any idea on how to swap NPCs or Ryo in special maps like the intro, ending scene, 70 man battle, and the Chai You Arcade fight?

Whenever I swap npcs in the humans.afs file it doesn't work for the certain scenes i mentioned above. I tried hex editing by replacing the CHA_M with another model ID with _L at the end and followed shengoro86's swapping character tutorial (hex edited MAPINFO.BIN in the Chai You Arcade fight folder GMCT), but either there is no Chai model (invisible model, but voices) there or the game freezes on the loading screen....I really don't know what I am doing wrong. I've seen model swaps done for these scenes before so I know it's possible....

Could someone please tell me that to do? I'm so frustrated ](*,)

Thanks!
Kuroioni
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 4

Re: Shenmue I Swapping Models in intro, chai cd2 fight, endi

Postby ReeceKun » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:16 am

ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby Kuroioni » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:05 am

Will modifying the models in the humans.afs file manually actually swap them in the intro, ending, etc.? Because I've used the model swapper but they don't swap in the certain scenes I've mentioned. Although I have been hearing that its not perfect... I'd just like to know before I do this if doing it manually via hex editing would actually swap the models in those scenes?
Kuroioni

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 4

Postby ReeceKun » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Kuroioni wrote:

Will modifying the models in the humans.afs file manually actually swap them in the intro, ending, etc.? Because I've used the model swapper but they don't swap in the certain scenes I've mentioned. Although I have been hearing that its not perfect... I'd just like to know before I do this if doing it manually via hex editing would actually swap the models in those scenes?

Personally Ive only ever used that program to switch the models in the Shen1 & 2 'Humans' files
The Humans are Mainly Lower Poly NPCS that walk around the Towns

General Cutscenes are in seperate level folders with PKF/PKS files
The LanDi Intro and the Shenhua intro are stored inside .AFS files that contain various .PKF (Textures) and .PKS (models & Animation/Camera Scripts)

I wanted to change the textures on the 'GACK' Capsule Toy Machine I can extract the models and textures but The real problem is 'Recompiling' the PKF files. Someone told me they did it with Hex but i couldnt be bothered going that far.

Ipac Browser allows you to extract PKS(models) and it seems to allow you to replace them with the same type, but im not sure how well it works. It only finds 'CARA.CHT' in PKF files which is a shame because it would be nice if it helped swap textures.

Long story short Its possible its just that it seems that people have given up making any more programs in this area of shenmue modding

This is a list of most of the Level Area Names
https://sites.google.com/site/shenmuemo ... -names-ids
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Return to Community Projects