Shenmue 1 - portable version (file size) possible?

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue 1 - portable version (file size) possible?

Postby richterw » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:47 am

Hello, guys.
I'm the guy who doesn't comment alot here but is always checking the forums from time to time.

I kind of like to rip games to see what is the smallest size i can get from them, you know, with PSP, PSX, Ds games, etc... but in a way that it don't affect gameplay, of course.
But i was thinking if it was possible to rip the voices files from the Shenmue discs, as you have the subtitles to go by.
I know that you can play (to an extent) without the voices if you play the debug beta version, and i'm really curious at how much size the cdi file would be if you had a "no-voice" version.

Maybe it could be used to something like, for example, if you need to download shenmue just to test an emulator on your new pc. Faster to download a 70mb file than a 400mb.

Can someone enlighten me on that? Maybe point me to a guide or a tool, so i can do that myself?
richterw
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue beta

Re: Shenmue 1 - portable version (file size) possible?

Postby Mr357 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 pm

The best thing I can think of would be to look into the methods used for the 80 minute versions of Shenmue II (both the original PAL game and the English speech mod). The former removed some speech entirely like you're wanting to do, and the latter drastically compressed the speech files to save space.

I'll add a link for the first one later. For whatever reason, I can't access the site it's hosted on.

The English speech mod can be found here.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to Community Projects