I'm having trouble ripping shenmue models

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: I'm having trouble ripping shenmue models

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:20 am

There's plenty of freeware converters out there if need be anyway so you should be sound.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: I'm having trouble ripping shenmue models

Postby ReeceKun » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:53 am

I've been meaning to put together a guide on how to rip all models & textures from Shenmue 1 for a while now.
It IS possible to combine everything to get 100% model/texture data.

I've avoided it because it's a horrible time consuming process,
Once everything is ripped there are many things that need re-texturing (and if used with 3DripperDX re-deforming)
If you want to use characters you'll then need to Re-Rig the Body & Face

So If you don't know how to do basic things in 3DS Max or (the totally insane) Blender, there's no point thinking about it.
--------------------------------------
I've been talking about ripping Shenmue completely for 10+ years now,

I 'sort of' expect a re-release of Shenmue 1 & 2 before Shenmue 3 (which I expect Shen3 will come 2019)
I think releasing Shen3 without Shen 1&2 is a bad idea, but if thats what the fans paid for thats what they will get

I plan to rip each area,item/object/character (fixed/unrigged) as seen ingame and unmodified, into a 3DS format. Spening time on ripping to find a Shen1&2 PC release would be slightly frustrating but the price I pay for waiting so long.

If Shen 1 & 2 isnt re-released before Shenmue 3, Then I will then release all ripped models I have collected/combined/fixed

Then I think the best idea would be then to re-create Shenmue 1(at least) in Unreal Engine 4 and possibly use some of the same animation, control, style that Shenmue 3 has to create a legit HD Fan Remake.

I'd like to begin production on such a project but on the other hand I'd like to create my own videogame, so for now everything I do is in the name of improving my 3D education
------------------------------------------
I will begin putting together a complete ripping guide (For Noobs), but as I have said It will require a general knowlege of 3DSmax or Blender.

3DRipperDX.1.8.2 will rip to OBJ but you need to edit the OBJ
and add
- mtllib frame_30.03.2017_15.55.14.mtl
at the top line of the OBJ in TXT
(replace _30.03.2017_15.55.14 with whatever the frame is called)

You also need an older version of NullDC 100b that contains the correct 'stereoscopic' GPL/Video Plugin (that I helped create for Shenmue Ripping) This basically means that It will rip depth , if you try with the newer NULLdc or Demul it will only rip flat pancake models (would be nice if the new NullDC was updated since better rips might be obtained with the widescreen patch)

You also need XP 32 bit version (I think it works in XP virtual mode on win7)

You can also get a Free Student Licence of 3DS Max that can be used for non-commercial and eductation.
There is a legitimate original source un-hacked/wared/spyed version of 2013 about but I dont recommend getting any versions from disreputable sources.

ReeceKun has received a thanks from: HazDS
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Previous

Return to Community Projects