(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Shenmue 2 - Game Informer Super Replay

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:40 am

DoubleO_Ren wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Englishhedgehog wrote:
GYO6161 wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: My favorite reaction so far

If Shenmue HD is a thing, i bet theres gonna be alot of this, modern gamers nowadays aren't the brightest sadly

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one tired of this circlejerk of "Modern gamers are too mentally impaired to get through a true work of art, compared to those deep thinking old school gamers. Oh please, allow me to take another sip of wine and adjust my monocle."

you're definitely not alone. the gaming industry has never been better than now and people are more diverse and interested in games than ever. I'm sure 90% of the complaining elitists here don't even own a ps4.

Bigger doesn't always mean better, sure the gaming industry is very popular now but that comes with a lot of cons there's more mass audience to appeal to which means less unique gaming and more copying and cloning the most popular games on the market which means more generic games and less unique, niche games. Games are rediculously easier now than they were before which is why many modern gamers who play games like Shenmue nearly have a panick attacks when they don't have a map and way point. Even though it has a map but because the map is more interactive and you actually have to use it, and think about your next step they dismiss it.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:42 am

DoubleO_Ren wrote:
DoubleO_Ren wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Englishhedgehog wrote:
GYO6161 wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: My favorite reaction so far

If Shenmue HD is a thing, i bet theres gonna be alot of this, modern gamers nowadays aren't the brightest sadly

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one tired of this circlejerk of "Modern gamers are too mentally impaired to get through a true work of art, compared to those deep thinking old school gamers. Oh please, allow me to take another sip of wine and adjust my monocle."

you're definitely not alone. the gaming industry has never been better than now and people are more diverse and interested in games than ever. I'm sure 90% of the complaining elitists here don't even own a ps4.

Bigger doesn't always mean better, sure the gaming industry is very popular now but that comes with a lot of cons there's more mass audience to appeal to which means less unique gaming and more copying and cloning the most popular games on the market which means more generic games and less unique, niche games. Games are rediculously easier now than they were before which is why many modern gamers who play games like Shenmue nearly have a panick attacks when they don't have a map and way point. Even though it has a map but because the map is more interactive and you actually have to use it, and think about your next step they dismiss it.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby scarless landi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Episode 12

phpBB [video]
scarless landi
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: PhoenixMirror
Steam: PhoenixMirror
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sappharad » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Episode 13 was posted:
phpBB [video]
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:18 am

I didn't follow their playthrough since months but OMG, one full episode dedicated to farming. :rotflmao:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Sappharad » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Yokosuka wrote: I didn't follow their playthrough since months but OMG, one full episode dedicated to farming. :rotflmao:

I kept watching, and actually managed to have 2 comments read during the series so far. It's sometimes painful to watch, they're so distracted at times and not actually paying attention to the game but those side conversations have contributed to me not giving up on watching them play.

They do seem to be having D-Pad issues, which is a shame because in the next episode (18 was most recent as of this post) they'll probably be doing the Ghost Hall building. I thought about leaving a comment recommending they skip half of it via entering from connected staircase in the Thousand White Bldg., but decided since I never did that on my first play-through it wouldn't be fair to give them the shortcut right away.

The most recent time I played I just used the map glitch to skip the planks altogether. :-\
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:52 pm

I watched all the videos I missed in a row. At least, they loved the duck easter egg and true this thing was brillant!
Can't wait for Ghost Hall Bldg.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:28 am

- Hello everyone this Andrew Reiner and Kyle Hilliard here and welcome back to Shenmue 2!!
- Why are we here Kyle? I don't even know what we're looking for.
- *Goes on about some real-life tangent/ or joke-y banter*
- Right, let's get back to the game... Uh, where should we go *Check strategy guide*
- Go to building X, let's find an NPC to walk us there (at a snail's pace)
- *Important cutscene occurs, talk all over said cutscene*
- I don't even know what happened! Who's Zhu? Why are you we looking for this guy heh
- *More real-life tangents/banter over important dialogue/cutscenes throughout the whole playthrough
- *Credits roll*
- Man, Shenmue is kinda boring huh? :???:

Rikitatsu has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, Spaghetti
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:05 pm

Yeeeeeep. The commentary is just so completely inane and disengaged that I'm probably going to drop watching this, despite them very quickly coming up on the most intense part of the game.

I don't really think the game can be blamed either (but we all know they'll try...) as there was stuff happening very consistently, as opposed to the heavy periods of downtime in the original Shenmue.

The GameTrailers playthrough is just so much better, because they're allowing themselves to get into the game instead of trying to fill every tiny period of silence as if it were "dead air". I'm sure people will defend Game Informer by saying "but the GT crew already were fanboys of Shenmue, etc, etc", but like, Huber and Blair were the only people who played the Shenmue games and pretty frequently they were not the only ones sitting in on those streams, and people unfamiliar with the series were getting engaged and enjoying watching.

Shenmue is not really a streamable series, because it relies a lot on individual engrossment in what's happening sans other distractions. I'd really rather not see these guys tackle the Guilin section because it almost entirely hinges on having gotten engaged in everything that has happened up to that point.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Reprise
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:19 pm

I stopped watching three episodes in. Great to know things haven't gotten better!

As said before, Shenmue II is not a game you play once a week unless you already know the game.

Frankly I'm shocked you guys have lasted this long.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:35 am

I just think it'll keep picking up. I skipped it for weeks and then skimmed through the episodes for my favourite parts of the game.

Half the time I'm just wondering if they're pumping gas into the room.

Nothing will touch that GT playthrough. Nothing.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gavan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I just think it'll keep picking up. I skipped it for weeks and then skimmed through the episodes for my favourite parts of the game.

Half the time I'm just wondering if they're pumping gas into the room.

Nothing will touch that GT playthrough. Nothing.

I enjoyed their playthrough of Shenmue 1 a lot, but it just seems like they aren't that interested in the game this time. I still enjoy it though. Nowhere near as bad as most of the Giant Bomb playthrough of 1 and definitely better than Funhaus :lol:
Gavan

Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Gavan wrote:I enjoyed their playthrough of Shenmue 1 a lot, but it just seems like they aren't that interested in the game this time. I still enjoy it though. Nowhere near as bad as most of the Giant Bomb playthrough of 1 and definitely better than Funhaus :lol:

Which is kinda odd, because Shenmue II gives magnitudes more to be interested in.

But yeah. Streaming this game is not the way to enjoy it and experience it properly (bar choice cases like GT), especially not if it's being talked over by sub-talk radio banter from people who sound alarmingly more and more like they're either suffering early onset dementia, or have smoked the biggest blunt of their fucking lives before hitting record.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am

In some ways Giant Bomb are better to watch, Giant Bomb are way bigger assholes don't get me wrong but at least Vinnie and the one other guy can appreciate the effort that went into Shenmue and they actually pay attention to cutscenes and characters a lot more. I feel the Giant Bomb guys might appreciate Shenmue 2 more than Game Informer does if they ever get round to playing it. But to Game Informer's credit I highly doubt Giant Bomb would do the duck racing, I don't even think Game Trailers did the Duck Racing did they?
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Fri May 05, 2017 11:28 pm

Browsed the latest episode.

Finding the key was... well.

*doesn't check around the corner from the elevator*

*turns around and clearly shows the room next to the elevator while turning*

"There are no rooms here"
Spaghetti