Unused line of Lan Di?!

(Chapters 3-6)

Unused line of Lan Di?!

Postby LanDC » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:06 am

I've made a very interesting and mind boggling discovery tonight.. I was browsing around for some more sound clips for some mod movies I had in mind, and in the information for the part in the Yellow Head Bldg when you have 6 minutes to find the key to the elevator, there is a unused line ment for no other than Lan Di in there! :shock:

There's no doubt about it. Lan Di's file name is SRY, and there is a line of SRY saying "So you are Yuanda Zhu.". It's a strange choice of a place for this line to be, and even more strange, It's only on the XBOX version.
UNFORTUNATLY, Where the sound clip is supposed to be is nothing but silence. This was a very big let down because I really wanted to hear him saying it.
Here is a image of the scene file opened in a hex editor.

Last edited by LanDC on Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:09 am

OMFG! Awesome discovery o_o
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby LanDC » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:13 am

I wonder what it was ment for... I can't imagine how a extra Xbox-only scene of that magnitude could have been thought of being put in at that point. It's clear that he is meeting Zhu... Hmmm, perhaps this has something to do with the future of Shenmue.. And somewhere along the lines, someone screwed up and put the subs in the wrong place.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby KiD » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:39 am

that's the part where ryo is lookin for the key and ren is on the walkie talkie... i think they were supposed to intercept an event that was happening where lan di met with zhu, and someone else with another walkie talkie was in the room and had it on, so when lan di said that, for some reason you heard him, and that's when ren hears it too and says, "hey you listening?"... as in, "hey are u listening to this?".... just a guess... but they probably took it out thinking, "it wouldn't make much sense to put in one line from a source other than ren to ryo out of the entire scene"
KiD
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby LanDC » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:59 am

KiD wrote:that's the part where ryo is lookin for the key and ren is on the walkie talkie... i think they were supposed to intercept an event that was happening where lan di met with zhu, and someone else with another walkie talkie was in the room and had it on, so when lan di said that, for some reason you heard him, and that's when ren hears it too and says, "hey you listening?"... as in, "hey are u listening to this?".... just a guess... but they probably took it out thinking, "it wouldn't make much sense to put in one line from a source other than ren to ryo out of the entire scene"

Well that sounds possible I guess. But not as likely seeing as how it didn't happen on the Dreamcast version. And this would completly change the story for the XBOX version, so why would they even think of doing that? Ren just says "Hey, are you listening?" To get Ryo's attention about 6 minutes untill the Yellow Head make their rounds on the floor you are on.

I think this is some kind of screwup line placing. I mean come on, the actors were over in Japan for 6 months doing voices for S2. Now 6 months is a LONG time. Just think from the 1st of this year, till E3 2004 is already over, doing nothing but talking. I'm willing to bet they already voices Shenmue III, or atleast some of it. 6 months would seem a little more likely if the game needed to be translated, but other than a few minor differences in wording some lines, the XBOX version was subbed the same as the Euro DC version.

It's very possible that Zhu will return again too. He would be cut too short with just that one scene, he is OBVIOUSLY a main character. Zhu is the info box behind the mirrors, and i'm sure he'd like to be around when the Dragon and Phoenix mirrors combine. He would only have to hide from the Yellow Head again now anyway, he can't go back to the Ghost Hall Bldg.

Lan Di most likely flew away because he knew he would be followed to Guilin. Why should he fly down and get his hands dirty against multiple opponents when he could just lure them where he needs them? Besides, he may have also wanted to watch Ryo fight, and test his abilities against Dou Niu.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:13 am

LanDC wrote:
KiD wrote:that's the part where ryo is lookin for the key and ren is on the walkie talkie... i think they were supposed to intercept an event that was happening where lan di met with zhu, and someone else with another walkie talkie was in the room and had it on, so when lan di said that, for some reason you heard him, and that's when ren hears it too and says, "hey you listening?"... as in, "hey are u listening to this?".... just a guess... but they probably took it out thinking, "it wouldn't make much sense to put in one line from a source other than ren to ryo out of the entire scene"

Well that sounds possible I guess. But not as likely seeing as how it didn't happen on the Dreamcast version. And this would completly change the story for the XBOX version, so why would they even think of doing that? Ren just says "Hey, are you listening?" To get Ryo's attention about 6 minutes untill the Yellow Head make their rounds on the floor you are on.

I think this is some kind of screwup line placing. I mean come on, the actors were over in Japan for 6 months doing voices for S2. Now 6 months is a LONG time. Just think from the 1st of this year, till E3 2004 is already over, doing nothing but talking. I'm willing to bet they already voices Shenmue III, or atleast some of it. 6 months would seem a little more likely if the game needed to be translated, but other than a few minor differences in wording some lines, the XBOX version was subbed the same as the Euro DC version.

It's very possible that Zhu will return again too. He would be cut too short with just that one scene, he is OBVIOUSLY a main character. Zhu is the info box behind the mirrors, and i'm sure he'd like to be around when the Dragon and Phoenix mirrors combine. He would only have to hide from the Yellow Head again now anyway, he can't go back to the Ghost Hall Bldg.

Lan Di most likely flew away because he knew he would be followed to Guilin. Why should he fly down and get his hands dirty against multiple opponents when he could just lure them where he needs them? Besides, he may have also wanted to watch Ryo fight, and test his abilities against Dou Niu.

I agree to that.
Esp the last paragraph I was thinking the very same thing when I first played shenmue II.

And also another incredible find by LAN DC...as always. :D
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Mystere » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:24 am

That is an incredible find. It blows my mind even thinking about why it's there. Both theories are intriguing, though the first, if it was true, would mean an entire reworking of the rooftop scene, had Lan Di already captured Zhu. So I'm not sure about that.

Great work as always Lan DC.
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Ódinn » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:19 am

I really think Lan di already was on the roof, questioning Yuanda Zhu. And when he heard that Ryo was coming against the roof, he fled with the helicopter, to watch Ryo fight, and make him follow him to guilin, as you guys said.

Too shame they didn't use that line with Lan Di in the game, it would have been cool as hell! :D
Ódinn
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drporkchop » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:27 am

Very nice find!

Such a shame there's no actually clip of him saying it... :?
drporkchop
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby b_ren » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:59 pm

Enteresting.....
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LanDC » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:04 pm

Odin wrote:I really think Lan di already was on the roof, questioning Yuanda Zhu. And when he heard that Ryo was coming against the roof, he fled with the helicopter, to watch Ryo fight, and make him follow him to guilin, as you guys said.

Too shame they didn't use that line with Lan Di in the game, it would have been cool as hell! :D

Nah I don't know about that. I would have thought it could be some kind of unused scene involving the rooftop IF this were on the Dreamcast version. But it's not. I wonder if they actually involved the companies like wordbox translation again with 2x... If they did, it would almost be a waste of time for as little as they needed to translate, so I still think they have done later stuff already. That line is nowhere to be found on the Dreamcast version, so why on earth would the developers have it layed out in English under Lan Di's name?
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Daemos » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:39 pm

Nice find!
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby b_ren » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:17 pm

LanDC wrote:
Odin wrote:I really think Lan di already was on the roof, questioning Yuanda Zhu. And when he heard that Ryo was coming against the roof, he fled with the helicopter, to watch Ryo fight, and make him follow him to guilin, as you guys said.

Nah I don't know about that. I would have thought it could be some kind of unused scene involving the rooftop IF this were on the Dreamcast version. But it's not. I wonder if they actually involved the companies like wordbox translation again with 2x... If they did, it would almost be a waste of time for as little as they needed to translate, so I still think they have done later stuff already. That line is nowhere to be found on the Dreamcast version, so why on earth would the developers have it layed out in English under Lan Di's name?
Actually saying that, Hellraiser posted up a pic a while ago that looks like Lan Di standing on the roof of the yellow, mabye just about to grab onto the ladder. I'll try and find the pic.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby code l name » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:27 pm

I was just going to mention that. At the end of the Shenmue DVD as the credits role up, right near the end is has Lan Di who according to the eye-line of the camera appears to be on the rooftop. Maybe there is a link between the the two.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby b_ren » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:30 pm

Here.....
Makes you wonder what Yu Suzuki mabye had on mind before he changed it (if he did)
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue II