Chapter 2: the battle with Chai on the boat

(Chapters 3-6)

Postby B-Man » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:13 pm

Man, now I wish that Shenmue II had been scrapped for the Dreamcast completely, and designed specifically for Xbox. Surely, they wouldn't have had to cut that stuff out then.

Chapter 2 sounds really good. Also, I always found it kind of amusing that the two butchers didn't like each other. It would have been cool to have expanded on that by having a sidequest! Like Captain K Prime said, it would have been cool to have been able to get to know some of the more interesting NPC's a little better. Shenmue II seems kind of like a dumbed down version of Shenmue I in this respect.
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DKMatt » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:30 pm

Maybe not all was cut out for disc space reasons, some were just pure deadline/finance cuts. At the end of the day, even though all these features, sure they woulda been nice, but they wouldn't translate to more sales, and i dont think sega wanted to put more money into porting to the xbox than necessary, because it was more a recoup-cash exercise.

As far as the more interesting NPC's, Shenmue 1 was an awful lot smaller, it was just a little town and harbour, whereas the sequel was a lot lot bigger, so to some extent you can't really expect as much interaction with people. Especially with Ryo and him being in a strange foreign land.

All the same, you're right, woulda been nice..heh
DKMatt
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby LanDC » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:09 pm

Very interesting. Ishikawa said they never planned to put the chapter into either game, but why did they capture motions? They must have designed some of it, because Chai's model even looks a bit different in Shenmue II. He has minor changes to his face I can tell and some of the rest of his body, they didn't easily re-use his S1 model.

I really don't think any more of the information is included in any of the games, but perhaps, just perhaps somewhere deep inside, there is.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby B-Man » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:59 am

DKMatt wrote:As far as the more interesting NPC's, Shenmue 1 was an awful lot smaller, it was just a little town and harbour, whereas the sequel was a lot lot bigger, so to some extent you can't really expect as much interaction with people. Especially with Ryo and him being in a strange foreign land.

Of course, you're right about that. You can't expect the NPC's to be as fully fleshed out and detailed, since there are so many more. It's just that it seems from this interview that there was going to be some more interaction with them and that would have been very nice.

Don't get me wrong; I'm in no way complaining about Shenmue II. These additions just would have made it that much better though.

LanDC wrote:I really don't think any more of the information is included in any of the games, but perhaps, just perhaps somewhere deep inside, there is.

Yeah, you never really know. You always seem to find new, awesome things just when everybody thinks that there can't possibly be any more to find.
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SpikyAd » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:02 am

This is very interesting...
SpikyAd
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Daemos » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:13 pm

Oh for God's sake, "doesn't fit"???? :evil: They load up the discs with a HUGE amount of repeated files wasting megabyte after megabyte and "doesn't fit"??

Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby TAILS » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:36 pm

good find kiyuu
TAILS
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby momo » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:59 pm

kiyuu, its nice of you to share this with us all,
we appreciate it and understand how much effort goes into your translations.

your english is flawless too!

thank you :)
momo
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby xatruio » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:50 pm

i say dman you kiyuu, torturing us with the stuff coming out of japan when its just 'what could have beens' or fantasies for SIII....JUST KIIIIDDING!!!!!!

we all love you Kiyuu!
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Joey Bassist Dude » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:20 pm

yeah i didnt doodle crap for no reason... there is heart in that pic ya kno... sumwhere!?
Joey Bassist Dude
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:45 pm

Its a weird thing, as its shown on the premiere video, that the time and effort to do the motion capturing AND the voice edits for the scenes and not use them at all. I suppose this is why Sega has no money.

I was meant to ask Lan, that permiere video in the beginning shows this presentation with full orchestra and ohter things like a demonstration, goodey bags, artwork.....

I wanted to know, woth all that costing money, is that normal for games to have such thingl like that, or was this just because it was Shenmue
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonikku » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:12 am

Kiyuu wrote:
code l name wrote:Informative as ever Kiyuu, I appriciate that. Very interesting read and makes you wonder how many other scenarios were cut out because of time restrictions, among other things.

Another scene I do remember seeing in some beta footage was the scenario if you pass the QTE when you first meet Ren, you're taken to the dealings between the guy dressed in white and Yuan. Originally it looked like Wong or Ren (Which one was it) throws a bomb which covers the room in smoke. I guess with a game as big as Shenmue and has had such a lengthy developmen period there were bound to be numerous cuts, edits and changes.

Yes, there must be numerous scenes were cut. These are a few of them that I know.
There was an episode of the two butchers in Green Market Qr. would fight over a woman.
And there was another episode, where Xiaoqin, the little girl of the Sunny Capital Pharmacy
in the South Carmain Qr. would play a bigger role. Also, if you've seen the Shenmue
premiere video, you would notice a boy named Seiya was introduced as one of the Characters,
but actually his roll turned out to be pretty small, as the duck seller in the White Dynasty Qr.

But, the biggest cut among these was the scenario between Kowloon and Guilin, I guess.
The scenes Ryo talking to an unknown old man and Ryo visiting an unknown village
would belong there. That's the reason why Disk 4 is so short, I assume.

Image?Image

Yeah from what I understand their was originaly going to be 6 games to cover all of the chapters. Shenmue 1 is only the first chapter. I'm sure there had to be a lot of cutting to get much more into 2 then what Yu Suzuki had originaly planned on.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby drporkchop » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:21 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Gah! Why must you make me suffer so, Kiyuu?

They actually made it?!!?! And then cut it!?!?!

They'd better release some shots or a video or something, some day...*goes to release rage on unsuspecting family member*
drporkchop
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rhayno G. » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:22 am

i definitely miss chapter 2, but it wouldd've been even cooler to play out the thrip to Guilin, IMO. at least in the trip to aberdeen you know exactly how he got there and what happened. details about him going from kowloon to guilin are quite fuzzy.
Rhayno G.
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:25 am

Can some one post a pic of the altered Shenmue II Chai model please.

Great work Kiyuu. :)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II