TIP:Playing Shenmue 2 In Fullscreen(For Xbox360 'Originals')

(Chapters 3-6)

TIP:Playing Shenmue 2 In Fullscreen(For Xbox360 'Originals')

Postby ReeceKun » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:02 am

A lot of people dont know this but may have found it annoying playing 'Xbox Original' games and having the picture squared in the centre of the TV screen. I realised the solution simply by accident.

Change the xbox display settings to '480p'

Simple. You'll want to change it back to 720p or 1080p to play 360 games, but for 'Originals' in 480p theres no loss of resolution, and no annoying empty black space either side of the Tv screen.
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Re: TIP:Playing Shenmue 2 In Fullscreen(For Xbox360 'Origina

Postby SeppukoPanda » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:49 pm

So your alternative to playing an original XBox game in a cleaned up 720p image is to play it in a stretched 480p setting...?

Shenmue was created with a 4:3 frame in mind. Playing in 480p isn't allowing you to see more of the image, its just stretching the imaging and downgrading the resolution in the process.
SeppukoPanda
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ReeceKun » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:04 pm

I dont know about you but at least since I first got Shenmue 2 for the Dreamcast I have Always had a widescreen tv.
Whereby the images would always fill the entire screen, I personally hate playing Xbox Original games on my 'standard' widescreen tv/monitor when the Image is Squared/Boxed, theres no such thing as a 'Cleaned up' 720 image and as I said playing in 480p does not decrease the original resolution of 'Xbox Originals' It would be the same if I was playing Ps1 or Ps2 games , It would fill the screen, quite frankly I think that Xbox should have allowed an option to stretch the 720.1080p display to fill the screen.

on the other hand if you actually own a Square Tv I feel sorry for you, but thanks for your pointless input
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby SeppukoPanda » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:53 pm

I own a widescreen TV sir, two actually.

My point is, the game was intended to be a 4:3 frame, forcing it into 16:9 is just stretching the input.

Yes, it was originally intended for a 480p (well actually it was probably 480i) image. But the benefit of using the 360 is to play the game in a cleaned up 720p image. And that increased resolution results in the proper display.

Incidentally, I don't know about you, but my widescreen TV DOES allow me to stretch the 720p image. Of course, I don't do that.

Try that on your TV.
SeppukoPanda

Postby angelsdarkside » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:42 am

i have really bad shenmue withdrawel syndrome and am very tempted to get shenmue 2 again to play on the 360 but its hard to gauge from this thread what the picture will be like when at 480 to fit the screen? will it just be normal dreamcast quality on the xbox?
angelsdarkside
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: rickypatterson
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby darksniper » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:43 pm

This is a good idea. I'm going to probably do that. Only thing I hate about playing Shenmue II on the 360 is that QTE's are hard to input sometimes because of the 360's shitty D-pad.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Slightly offtopic, but i was happy to play Sonic Adventure on fullscreen, with lowering the resolution to 480 and changing widescreen to normal.

Simple pleasure i guess. :)
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:45 pm

ReeceKun wrote:
on the other hand if you actually own a Square Tv I feel sorry for you, but thanks for your pointless input

That's not cool. Directly attacking other members when they are merely providing information.

I own some widescreen TVs but I'd still rather play shenmue on a CRT monitor.

I don't like how Shenmue gets stretched to 16:9/10 to be honest. It makes the textures a bit wonky at times.

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Giorgio
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Giorgio » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:12 pm

shengoro86 wrote:
ReeceKun wrote:

That's not cool. Directly attacking other members when they are merely providing information.

And I thought he was doing that just only recently, but it seems it's like an old tradition to use vinegar.

But remember: "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." ;)
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby dud » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:06 pm

So uh, does playing in full screen actually downgrade the resolution than when playing in 4:3 with black boxes at the sides?
dud
Banned
Banned

Postby Reprise » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:37 pm

ReeceKun wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you quite... well, young?

A "square TV", or CRT, is the prefered option for most people who want to play old consoles that were created with Standard Definition in mind, for a 4:3 output.

Stretching a game made for 4:3 into 16:9 is pointless. It looks stupid and is not how it was intended to be viewed. Just look how shitty it looks:

Reprise has received a thanks from: Mr357
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Return to Shenmue II