Should I replay Shenmue II...I never did finish it..

(Chapters 3-6)

Should I replay Shenmue II...I never did finish it..

Postby snickrep » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:24 am

I made my dad import this for me on DC when I was like 12. I remember getting stuck on a QTE on a rooftop when that big guy chases you down that hallway. Anyway, that was a long time ago and I tried playing it again on xbox back in high school, but I don't think I ever really made it far.

I just completed Shenmue I a couple days ago because back in 2002 disc 3 would always freeze on me! But now I finally did it and disc 3 was the worst in my opinion with all the forklift crap and repetition. This is one thing I remember liking about shenmue 2 is the pacing was a bit better with the time skip.

Anyway, I'm debating as to whether or not I should play Shenmue II ...again. I don't own either DC/ XB versions anymore I think my mom threw them out a long time ago or I sold them. I was thinking since Ryo never finds Lan DI at the end...what's the point of playing ya know? Shenmue II is basically the same storyline as the original..cliffhanger and all.

tried doing the nullDC , but couldn't get ShenII to work. Blah.

Agh decisions decisions. ;)
snickrep
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Should I replay Shenmue II...I never did finish it..

Postby Fenix » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:11 am

Try Demul.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Nahovil » Thu May 01, 2014 7:09 am

Why wouldn't you want to finish the best game ever?
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby STE C » Fri May 02, 2014 8:57 am

Agreed completing this game will enhance your life and you will be glad you did. If you get stuck on QTEs again then you can easily use a guide for them so you know what buttons to press, the net has plenty of these. I have never played Dreamcast games on emu as I own the original hardware ( 5 Dreamcasts ) but emu supposed to run well.

YES do it you will not regret it and will feel great & sad when you finish it.
STE C

Currently playing: S2

Postby shengoro86 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:10 am

If you have either the xbox or DC consoles, pm me, I will teach you how to get the game using other methods.

As for emulating, make sure to find the 99 min isos or the gdi perfect images for best results! DEMUL is considered the closest to DC experience.

NullDC is good for running the game in higher resolutions.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Yama » Mon May 05, 2014 11:48 am

If you do, it's going to be one hellish time. But at least you'll be able to theorize, perhaps forever.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Sonikku » Mon May 05, 2014 3:12 pm

When Saint Peter asks you at the Pearly Gates if you completed the finest game ever made when given the chance to, what answer do YOU want to have for him?
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby snickrep » Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks, I got Shenmue II to work with NULLDC, but it's the PAL version with Japanese voice overs and english subtitles. That's okay, because this is the version I imported for my dreamcast back in like 2002/2003 for like $75! I

Everything worked fine, but after chasing after Wong the game crashed. However, the same happened when I'd play Shenmue I on NULLDC, but I'd simply have to restart NULLDC and try again, usually with success. Emulation can be annoying.

I don't mind the Japanese voices at all actually. In fact, I just got through finishing Panzer Dragoon Saga and the Japanese voice overs made it a little more memorable. Same case for Shenmue II here. It just fits the setting and atmosphere so well (even though Ryo is in China...not Japan!).

Only thing I feel like I'm going to have a problem with is the QTEs. From my understanding, they were a little tougher in Shenmue II because I remember getting stuck on one in disk 2 or 3 back when I had this on Dreamcast. I was never able to finish the game because of it. However, with emulation/keyboard... it's quite tough remembering which button goes to what.

Would an Xbox controller work good for QTEs since it uses the same letter config as dreamcast controller (...i think?).
snickrep

Postby Giorgio » Tue May 20, 2014 3:00 pm

snickrep wrote:[...] Would an Xbox controller work good for QTEs since it uses the same letter config as dreamcast controller (...i think?).

Personally I use an Xbox 360 controller on PC, while emulating Shenmue games, and Quick Timer Events can be handled fine (for me).
If you are still having difficulties with the QTEs, then consider to find information in the Internet about guides which have prerecorded all the QTEs sequences of the game. That will solve the problem, hopefully.
On the other hand, you should consider practice your QTEs' skills, by playing a QTE game at the arcades, like Excite QTE 2 or QTE Title [which is also fun (and that is what also Nozomi on the Shenmue Passport would advise you...)].

In my experience, Shenmue II on NullDC is a very heavy game to run and you probably going to experience a lot of lagging times (times where the fps are being dropped greatly).
You may want to try other emulators, preferably Demul [which, in my experience, has a lot more constant frame rate, even most of the times is slower than NullDC's, but more constant (that is it doesn't have a lot of frame-rate "hiccups" like NullDC)].
Of course, your graphic card's capabilities are playing a crucial role to the experience.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby snickrep » Tue May 20, 2014 3:18 pm

thanks, I played all of Shenmue I on NULLDC just fine. That's why I am using NULLDC for SHENII because I assumed it would be a similar experience.
snickrep

Postby shengoro86 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:42 pm

Shenmue 2 for me always worked slower than shenmue 1. I wonder if it is just an issue with the emulator.

Anyway, best of luck!!!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby snickrep » Sun May 25, 2014 11:56 am

Hey, I'm already on disk 3 the part where I have to fight and get that guys attentions in order to get into Yellow building. I've won a couple fights, but agh some of them are quite hard. I think this is the part where I got stuck when I had the PAL copy of Shenmue 2 for DC many years ago. Some of the fights are hard for me... the one with the QTE and a few others. Do I have to beat all of them to get that guy in the hat to notice?
snickrep

Postby BlueMue » Sun May 25, 2014 12:05 pm

You don't have to win all of them. I think 4 or maybe even just 3 are enough to get the scouts attention.
I usually beat them all for the Shenmue Collection and for fun. I never payed attention to how many are enough. :lol:

Just pick the ones you're the most comfortable with. The iron thrust guy with the QTE is really easy because it's always the same combination (for each level).
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby snickrep » Sun May 25, 2014 12:51 pm

BlueMue wrote: Just pick the ones you're the most comfortable with. The iron thrust guy with the QTE is really easy because it's always the same combination (for each level).

What is the QTE so I know before hand...
snickrep

Postby BlueMue » Sun May 25, 2014 1:05 pm

BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue II