Why do you think Lan Di flew away?

(Chapters 3-6)

Why do you think Lan Di flew away?

Postby JaySw34 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:22 pm

Im sure it's been discussed but id like to read the community's opinion on why Lan Di flew away after Ryo finished Dou Niu. Getting to Yuanda Zhu was very important to Lan Di and The Chiyoumen. And we all know he could of hopped down and wasted everyone on that roof. Do you think there's a reason for him to keep Ryo alive? Maybe he wants to eventually recruit him for Chiyoumen lol. What you guys think?
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Re: Why do you think Lan Di flew away?

Postby Supa » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Maybe he desperately needed to get to Bailu Village for something/someone and deemed it a waste of time? I'm concerned why exactly he/they wanted Zhu in the first place, the reasoning must have exhausted itself at some point though, since he did leave Zhu there.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby NeoShredder » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:35 pm

He probably doesn't consider Ryo a threat....yet. Additionally, he only dirtied his hands in the first place to grab the mirror itself, he wouldnt do the dirty work unless it was for something consequential.

Although, did Shenmue Ii ever tell us what Lan Di was DOING in Hong Kong or why he was there?
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:57 pm

The ChiYouMen wanted Zhu dead. Lan Di could easily have snapped his neck by the time Ryo catches up to them on that roof top. It makes me think Lan Di had other plans for Zhu, maybe questions about his own father. Either that, or Zhu's knowledge of the mirrors would come in handy. The possibilities are great. It's going to be another long two years for sure.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:57 pm

It does bug me that it's not really made clear just why Lan Di and the Chi You Men wanted Zhu in the first place, seeing as Ryo's search for him is basically the main plotline running through the game...because they thought he'd have knowledge of the mirrors, I guess?
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby johnvivant » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:04 pm

It could have been that Zhu has information and or an ability that lan di needs in order to unlock Qin treasure, or free the Chiyou, or empower Tentei (or all of them), but after failing to capture zhu he goes to guilin because he knows of someone else who also has this information or ability (shenhua's father?).

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:22 pm

I reckon Zhu is a former member of the Chi You Men. A traitor, if you will. And Lan Di was commanded by Tentei (the founder of the Chi You Men) to bring him in for questioning. Just a theory.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Supa » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:02 pm

That would make sense, I never thought of that. ^

Remember, Yu did say he wasn't exactly trustworthy...

#long2years
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Maybe they found out that Zhu sent Iwao the letter to warn him about the Chi You Men (him being an old friend of Iwao's and all), hence why Zhu then went into hiding.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby code l name » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:23 pm

Supa wrote: That would make sense, I never thought of that. ^

Remember, Yu did say he wasn't exactly trustworthy...

#long2years

I've seen a few people make this same comment. What interview or discussion was this from? Can you provide a link?
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueMue » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:37 pm

There is a very simple explanation: He'd kill everyone and Shenmue would end right there. :lol:

As for Lan Di's actualy motivations and reasons in the story it's really tough to speculate. We don't know how long Zhu has been on the rooftop but it's unlikely that the black suits already got information out of him. Whatever Lan Di wanted from Zhu, he must've had another way to obtain it, that's for sure.

Or the whole thing could've been an incredibly well staged show to fool Ryo and us all, giving wrong information in order to help Lan Di. Maybe they need Ryo to contact Shenhua, it could be just about every crazy thing imaginable.
It doubt it but like other here, I still have that "not trustworthy" bit in the back of my head.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jeff » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:55 pm

He had to go to the bathroom.

Jeff has received a thanks from: Jibby
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby redline » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:24 pm

could be he was under orders not to attack ryo?
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:33 pm

redline wrote: could be he was under orders not to attack ryo?

yeah, it could be as bluemue suggested, that they are leading Ryo on to take some action that will benefit their own objective in releasing the Chiyou, - or whatever it is they want. They may already know that Ryo is of key importance..more so than we do.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:54 pm

This also really bothers me and I sure hope that this part of the story isn't brushed aside, but I guess that depends on if Zhu remains a key character. Ryo spent the entirety of the game thus far trying to find Zhu - why did he ask so few questions when he finally met him? Ryo barely learned anything from Zhu, why didn't he ask things like: How do YOU know that Lan Di is headed to Bailu Village? What did Lan Di want with you in the first place?

And how much information - if any - were the Chi You Men able to extract from Zhu before the rooftop trade off? If none at all, then how important was it to Lan Di to find Zhu in the first place? He easily could have hopped back down and taken Zhu - did he really respect Ryo for defeating Dou Niu so much as to just take off without Zhu? Does he view Ryo as a threat or as mostly insignificant? Does he know that Ryo would be able to follow him to Guilin after speaking to Zhu?

There are just too many unanswered questions concerning Yuanda Zhu!

Lan Di-sama has received a thanks from: JaySw34
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue II