Shenhua dies retry screen

(Chapters 3-6)

Shenhua dies retry screen

Postby albe » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:37 am

Hello, I'm new to this forum but the Shenmue 3 news got me over hear looking around and taking a walk down memory lane. One thing I remember is on my first play through of Shenmue 2 while walking with Shenhua at the part where she forgets the correct path there was a scene where a tree fell on her and apparently killed her. Ryo shouts "SHENHUA!" and the retry screen comes up. I remember being so shocked that I burst out laughing. In other play throughs I never had that happen. Does anybody know what triggers that to happen? Is it if you take too long or maybe if you take the wrong path too many times?
albe
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: Shenhua dies retry screen

Postby MechaWumpa » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:49 am

This sounds pretty funny, hope it's true cuz I'm gonna be playing Shenmue again in a few months.
MechaWumpa
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: RandomDudeXIII
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Persona 5

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:20 am

Lol just saw it on Shenmue Dojo youtube channel, this is real ! :lol:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Switch » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:30 am

phpBB [video]
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Locke_cole » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:22 pm

....lol
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kobe » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:52 pm

This could be a removed scene or could only be found in the NTSC-J version of Shenmue 2 Dreamcast. Either way this seems to be some very rare and bizzare scene that would be hard to encounter regardless what you end up doing in Disc 4.
Kobe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:04 pm

CRUSHED
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:40 pm

I think, though I'm not certain, that this scene is the replacement for the usual Shenmue 2 bad ending if you reach the deadline after meeting Shenhua. I remember that this was discussed before, though it may have been on Forumplanet (the forums that we had before this one.)
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kobe » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Ash wrote: I think, though I'm not certain, that this scene is the replacement for the usual Shenmue 2 bad ending if you reach the deadline after meeting Shenhua. I remember that this was discussed before, though it may have been on Forumplanet (the forums that we had before this one.)

Well. If you really think about it. The screen says RETRY after the scene ends (RETRY usually appears when you fail a Free Battle or QTE in Shenmue 2) so how could it of been a bad ending of some kind. If it really was a replacement then there would of been more.
Kobe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Oh, looks like it was unused after all - http://shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=756&start=465, LanDC's post towards the end of the page, and the next page talk about the scene.
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:01 pm

I'm fairly certain that I've triggered this scene by simply waiting too long to get through the forest once you gain control of Ryo to lead the way. The clock goes especially slow, and might even stall altogether (like in the Yellowhead building) so I guess it's possible that, I too, am imagining this and have only seen the scene online.

I always thought that LanDC's claim that there was blood in the scene was a stretch, though. Didn't look like blood to me.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby albe » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:54 pm

Ok, I got it now. If you read a few posts further in the above referenced thread it says the day after you spend the night in the cave you wait until 5pm and it will trigger the cut scene where Shenhua gets mashed by that tree. I'll have to dig out the ol Xbox and see if that works.

albe has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
albe
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Supa » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:52 pm

There was a huge debate about whether or not you see blood after the tree falls on her way back when this scene was discovered...
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mrandyk » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:34 am

You guys do see the blood on the ground after Shenhua is crushed, right? It's only on camera for part of a second.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:41 am

Ash wrote: Oh, looks like it was unused after all -

I could have sworn I got this on the xbox version by either taking the wrong path or taking too long running through the forest. Maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly though, it was 10 years ago...
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Next

Return to Shenmue II