Shenmue 2 on Android via reicast BUG solutions thread!

(Chapters 3-6)

Shenmue 2 on Android via reicast BUG solutions thread!

Postby Senpai Gamer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Hello everyone.i just signed up for one of many reasons but mainly to create this thread.

This thread will be about my experience with shenmue and a solutions on how to get past the all bugs of shenmue 2 which prevented me from playing shenmue 2 on my Android device.I am currently playing through shenmue 2 for the first time after beating shenmue 1 yesterday.So therefore i will be posting here solutions to any problems i had with shenmue 2 and how i overcame it.

Why?
Well that is because ive seen countless of threads on how shenmue 2 keeps crashing on android AND plus i want to help the community in someway.

I found out about shenmue 3 during E3 2015.It was my first E3(meaning the first one i ever saw) and what an E3 it was.I personally was hyped about FF7 but then i saw countless articles about the BIG 3 of E3!
Which were:
1.FF7
2.THE LAST GUARDIAN
3.SHENMUE 3!

I had never heard of shenmue up to that point yet i saw the trailer and LOVED what i saw.So i found out the premise and how there are 2 prequels which are on the sega DC and the Xbox.

I have neither of those consoles so shenmue slipped my mind.Untill 2 weeks ago when i found out about REICAST.
I found out it was a Dc emulator so i decided shenmue 1 would be the first dc game i ever play via the reicast emulator.

I tried 2 weeks ago on my Samsung S5 but it wouldnt work.This was because Reicast DOESNT work AT ALL on Any LOLIPOP Devices YET!(its being dealt with.Crosses fingers
UPDATE 30/7/15
An unnofical version of reicast has been released which allows you to actually play Shenmue 1 and 2 on any lolipop device.OMG SHENMUE 2 lOOKS and runs AMAZINGLY on my Samsung s5 but it crashes due to the fact my S5 has a high Cpu therefore a higher framerate than the emulator can handle.So even though it works on my S5 i am going to play it on my Tablet because it doesnt crash as much.

THEN last monday i thought why not try the emulator on my tablet AND IT WORKED!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE before i go further.

MY TABLET IT A ADTAB 7 made by ADSPEC running JELLYBEAN 4.2.1.

So shenmue 1 worked perfectly and i finished it yesterday.So today i started Shenmue 2 and i discovered that it only has EU and JP versions .But i managed to get hold of the Shenmue 2 English speech mod And it works.There were 4 discs which are in the .cdi format and the game booted up on my adtab 7.

Untill..... :evil: :evil:

Shenmue 2 DISC 1 Bugs

PROBLEM 1

it keeps crashing when Ryo leaves the ship when you see the aberdeen sign.

SOLUTION:

I kept trying but i couldnt find a way pass it and therefore it kept crashing

But then i discovered a solution.

What you do for this is:

1.Go to the Reicast settings menu
2.find where it says "Dynarec Options".
3.You will see that this option has been enabled
4.Disable this.(it shouldnt be blue if its disabled)
5.Load up the shenmue 2 and start a new game .
6.the wait will be excrutiating (because the game will be extremely slow)but if you can wait untill you have suppased the aberdeen loading screen then you will notice it doesnt freeze and crash anymore.
7.Click the green Y button and save your data.
8.Exit the game
9.ENABLE the Dynarec option

Thats how you solve that.

Problem 2

The game crashed after i was offered to arm wrestle the mexican?

Solution.

You need to do 3 things to prevent this from happening

1.Ensure you ALWAYS select the 50Hz and not 6oHz when you boot up the game.
2.YOU MUST accept the challenge and wrestle the mexican.
3.After you have wrestled the mexican.Slowly walk towards the pigion park.DONT RUN after the arm wrestle WALK.

If you do this then it wont freeze and crash after the mexian arm wrestle.

Problem 3

It crashed immediatly after i got my bag back from wong.(the kid who draws you a map)

Solution

1.Make sure your playing on 50Hz
If it is on 50 and NOT 60 then read on.
After wong draws the map and leaves.The loading screen will appear and this is where it crashes right?

DONT CLICK any buttons after the loading screen has ended
if like me you kept pushing buttons after the loading screen ends ,you will now notice that it hasnt crashed and that RYo is moving his arm and looking at the map.
Click B to stop looking at the map and continue your journey through HONG KONG

Thats how you solve that.

Problem 4

The game keeps crashing after i try leaving workers pier and try entering queens RD.

Solution:

This one is simple.

Dont EVER use the Alleyway from Workers pier to enter queens RD(and vice versa!)
Instead simply just use the main road.

Update 28/7/15

Problem 5

When i enter Zhangyous Barber shop the whole game crashes!

Solution

This one is simple.What you do is this.

1.Go Outside of Zhangyous shop and SAVE your game
2.exit the Reicast Apk
3.Go to the settings menu and Disable "Dynarec options"(more info about how to enable this in problem 1)
4.After Disabling Dynarec options go and load up your game save.
5.walk towards the door of the barbershop and open it
6.The cutscene will play and it will be excrutiating but you must bear it!
7.DURING THE CUTSCENE DO NOT Press A when you are given the choice OR THE GAME WILL CRASH
8.after the cutscene is finished find out about the 4th Master by asking Zhongyou(he tells you about the Tailor).
9.Then leave the shop and walk away from the shop and SAVE your game
10.Exit the reicast App and then open it up again
11.Go to the reicast option menu and Enable your Dynarec options
12.Have fun Xp

END OF DISC 1 BUGS

Well that is all for now but if i encounter anymore BUGS in Shenmue 2 then i will definately post up solutions here.

Here are some musts you have to do if you want to play shenmue 2 with minimum problems

1.Always choose 50hz NEVER choose 60Hz
2.Always walk through areas which lead to loading screens.Never run through them because most likely you wilk crash.
3.Dont run too much in Shenmue 2.You can run but dont run 24/7 because then the Graphics will take a few seconds to catch up.
4.When your at loading screens please tap the on screen touch buttons to prevent crashes
5.If you encounter a BUG when your playing which causes you to get kicked out of the game.Then i recomend you load up your save again and Go back to the area the bug occured but this time WALK and dont run.If the error still occurs then you can see if ive found a solution to it if not try doing the Dynarec thing(mentioned above)
6.CONSTANTLY SAVE immediately after you have entered an area and immediately after a cutscene for the game can log you off at ANYTIME.Dont fall victim to Replays.
7.I recomend creating 2 saves when your playing(i am doing this)
Your first save should be used to save constantly throughout each of your days in Hong Kong
The second save should be used only after you are finished at the end of each day of playing.
Whenever you load your game,load from the first save.the second save wi be your backup save

Anyways guys thats all for now.If your stuck ill try to help but if not then stay tuned for future bugs.

Keep on Shenmuing!
Last edited by Senpai Gamer on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Senpai Gamer has received 5 thanks from: Esppiral, ggRabbit, Giorgio, James Brown, NeoShredder
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IX

Re: Shenmue 2 on Android via reicast BUG solutions thread!

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Looking at reicast's compatibility list, Shenmue 2 is not intended (as of now) to be played on it. If you can't afford a Dreamcast or an original (that is the first) Xbox, then the next best solution available is to play Shenmue 2 on a PC, using either the nullDC or the Demul emulator. However, the time you offered to write those solutions is appreciated! Maybe it's safe to bet that it will need a lot more of them along the way, haha. :)

Giorgio has received a thanks from: ggRabbit
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Senpai Gamer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Giorgio wrote: Looking at reicast's compatibility list, Shenmue 2 is not intended (as of now) to be played on it. If you can't afford a Dreamcast or an original (that is the first) Xbox, then the next best solution available is to play Shenmue 2 on a PC, using either the nullDC or the Demul emulator. However, the time you offered to write those solutions is appreciated! Maybe it's safe to bet that it will need a lot more of them along the way, haha. :)

Thats why i want mobile ports so everyone can get to play these Jems. But back ontopic i will keep posting any bugs i find.aswell as any solutions i find.

Senpai Gamer has received a thanks from: ggRabbit
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby muhu » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Holy crap man. Senpai Gamer I salute you upfront. You have done an amazing job on trying to run this masterpiece through reicast in a working state, I didint even know this was possible. O.P is amazingly huge with updates. All I can say is bravo to the dedication your showing. Keep it up over there!

muhu has received a thanks from: ggRabbit
muhu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Senpai Gamer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:29 pm

muhu wrote: Holy crap man. Senpai Gamer I salute you upfront. You have done an amazing job on trying to run this masterpiece through reicast in a working state, I didint even know this was possible. O.P is amazingly huge with updates. All I can say is bravo to the dedication your showing. Keep it up over there!

Guess what baby DISK 1 IS complete and only had 5 Bugs that stopped you from continuing but i solved them Above!

Here is some proof.

That is it running on my Tablet

From here onwards ill be only reporting any Disk 2 Bugs i come across including solutions for them.
Then after that Disk 3&4.

See you soon everyone!

Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby muhu » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Shenmue on tablet, One day Shenmue will be playable of one of those Nokia brick phones.

muhu has received a thanks from: ggRabbit
muhu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Senpai Gamer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:29 pm

muhu wrote: Shenmue on tablet, One day Shenmue will be playable of one of those Nokia brick phones.

Nice to see a fellow Brit here! But yh lol thatd be funny.Black n white version of RYO

Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Senpai Gamer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:01 pm

SHENMUE 2 Disc 2 Bugs (WIP) :-k

So after i finished Disc 1 i started disc 2 and i noticed that:

1.The game crashes more often.not every 10 minutes but definately once every 40-60mins.It will crash wayy more if your using a lolipop Device.Therefore i recomend using a tablet or non lolipop device.
2.Just because it crashes once doesnt mean its a bug.(ill explain this at the end)

Problem 1

The Game crashes at the loading screen before the cutscene where you give Lishao Tao the Wiliushu book back.

SOLUTION:
This is the most biggest BUG ive ever seen and i honestly got depressed at the fact that i may never finish Shenmue 2 since i dont have a dc and it kept crashing here.

But i found a way to bypass this:

Im playing shenmue 2 on my Jellybean TABLET so what i recomend you do is what i did.

What i did was move my Saved data(this is literally all the following files:
Boot.bin
Flash.bin
Emu.cfg
Vhs save1.bin
Vhs save2.bin
Nvesmap.bin(i forgot this ones namexp)

So i moved them onto my SAMSUNG S5 and then i downloaded the Unoffical APK of reicast(check updated OP for info on this) and i set up the apk and the bios and i made sure i had the disc2.cdi file.

Then before i played the reicast emulator on my S5 i disabled the "Dynarec options"(check OP)
And i played through that mission where you meet and rescue ZHUs partner.
And then after the EXCRUTIATINGLY LONG CUTSCENES.I then saved my data ASAP after the cutscene where i returned the book.
Then i went and Enabled Dynarec options and checked that the saved data worked.

Then i moved the 6 files mentioned above to my tablet DC/DATA folder.I then started the game and i now am on the part where you need to raise $500 for Ren.
I then deleted the reicast from my S5!

So basically to put it in a nutshell what i did was:

I Moved the data folder from my jellybean tablet to my Lolipop Samsung S5!
Then i set up reicast on my S5 and played thorugh that mission which kept crashing and i finished it with Dynarec options Disabled.
Next i saved my data on the S5.
Finally i moved the S5 new data(which is saved after the mission that kept crashing on my tablet) to my tablet.
I ensured that the saved data works on my tablet before deleting the files from my Samsung s5.

This problem took me a whole day to test and ensure it worked.I almosg gave up hope.

Ok so more information about GAME crashes on Disc 2 of Shenmue 2

1.Use a non LOLiPop device when playing shenmue 2.Since you will crash the game less times.
2.The game crashed for me at 2 other times
1.before i entered Xiyuings apartment
2.At Gambling den.
HOWEVER THESE CRASHES were normal crashes that have nothing to with BUGS that prevent you from completeing disc 2.
I solved these crashes by going back to these places immediately after the app crashed and re entering these places and they loaded up.

So rule is IF THE APP CRASHES AT A AREA OR CUTSCENE!? ALWAYS GO BACK AND GO BACK TO THE PLACE It CRASHED AND SEE IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN(More than once)
Most likely it wont.You maybe wondering why the app crashes when there are no bugs.Well that can be due to many reasons such as the
Tablet has overheated .
You have played for a while and the game hasnt crashed yet so it crashes.

So eitherways always double check the crash happens before contacting me for help.

I havent beat disc 2 yet but i will keep updating if any more bugs appear!
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ggRabbit » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:29 am

Alright everybody, I think I've reached a milestone as far as getting through both Shenmue 1 & Shenmue 2 with Reicast on Android.. I've made it ALL THE WAY to the VERY END of Shenmue 2 on disc 4, right before Ryo & Shenhua enter the stone pit cave at the very end after leaving Shenhua's house... but to my disbelief, after all of this trial & error and countless hours of frame limiting & frame skipping & dynarec fiddling.. it crashes at the same spot, every single time no matter what, righat as Shenhua goes to grab the torch at the front of the stone pit cave.

(I should probably mention at this point that i did this all on the Mad Catz M.O.J.O. [ which is Android 4.2.2 ]

I think it's safe to say that for most android people, Shenmue 1 was not much of a problem to get through;

Shenmue 2 however..
HOLY HELL..!

but i'm here to let you know that it IS POSSIBLE on Android to basically get all the way through up to the last 5 or 10 minutes of the game, where, unfortunately, you're just simply not going any further, and you just have to watch the ending on youtube.. LOL

(SMH)

How it went down:

Like I said, Shenmue 1 really wasn't a problem, so I'll just go straight into my Shenmue 2 98% completion experience:

- Discs one & two definitely had lots of bugs and crashing, but with constant saving and retrying with different reicast builds, i made it through without ever having to use the dynarec option (except for the very beginning, of course) and never messing with frame limiting or frame skipping.

- Disc three - I must say: it was very, very tough to get through disc 3 with all of it's bugs / crashing, and took a lot of dedication; especially the latter half of disc 3 when you start trying to impress the Scout.
Definitely had to mess with some frame limiting & frame skipping, constant saving, and i actually had to use the dynarec method to get past several different situations.
Especially the Yellow Head Building extravaganza at the end of disc three;
that was just hell in a handbag, and took me HOURS & HOURS to get past that part.. but eventually I did.

Having said that about disc three..

-disc four- MAN..
disc 4 made getting through disc 3 look like a piece of cake on Malibu beach with a foot massage.

it was a LOT of agony, and was incredibly frustrating.. but i did manage to get all the way to the very very last part of the game, right before the final bit in the stone pit cave.

The single toughest part to get past out of any part of any disc was the very beginning of disc 4; the intro scene where you're arriving on the boat to Guilin, similar to the very beginning of disc 1.

However, merely turning off the dynarec and sitting through it doesn't help here.

As a matter of fact, I finally got through it by leaving the dynarec ON.

It literally must have taken me at least 60 tries (several, several hours over the span of two nights to figure it out).

Actually, i wouldn't even say I figured it out really.. i think i might have just gotten lucky; but here's how it happened for me:

Like I said, i gave up on the dynarec trick, and switched that back on.

At the start of the scene, I would have frame skip all the way up, and turned the frame limiting button off (by this, I mean clicking so that the symbol on it is red and the game speeds up, instead of green like it normally would be [not positive if that's considered on or off];
That got me much further than the dynarec trick, but it would still crash right as they lay to board down for Ryo to step off the boat.

So one lucky time, I did what I just said above, but right before it got to that part where he's about to step off (where it would normally crash), i would very quickly turn frame skip all the way back down, turn frame limiting back on, and turn the "turbo" mode ON.

and.. VOILA!

I made it onto the shore, and as soon as it let me, I opened Ryo's menu to save; but right as i hovered over the VMU icon.. IT CRASHED! LMAO

But then i tried that same method maybe two or three more times, and finally was able to make it to the VMU icon and successfully save it.

BAM, I was now on my way to getting through disc 4.

I thought my troubles were over, but ohhhh no they weren't.

There were several, several different scenes & actual gameplay spots that required turning dynarec off to painstakingly slowly get through them, and a lot of scenes i didn't even really get to see as the screen would be tripping out, if not going almost entirely black for tens of seconds at a time.

And in just as many cases, I had to fiddle with frame skipping & frame limiting;

I think getting through a lot of the parts on disc 4 was similar to how Shenhua talks about how she knows what the weather will be like by the direction the winds blowing, the shapes of clouds, and the moisture in the air:

After a while, you start to notice certain patterns & aspects of graphical glitches that sort of for-tell that you're about to need to go ahead and turn up the frame skipping a bit or switch off the frame limiter etc. etc..

The turbo mode also got me through a lot of parts in itself; although it seems to me that turbo mode is just a shortcut for having the frame skip all the way up, frame limiting off, and sound off. but for some reason, only turbo mode would get me past certain situations that the combination of those other three settings wouldn't; so maybe there is something else to turbo mode..

(which btw, I should probably mention that I don't know hardly anything about what these options are really doing or what they're supposed to do, and i am no tech-dude whatsoever; I would bet that most on here know more about how turning these options on or off / up or down are supposed to affect the system than i do;
i just figured out after a while that certain scenarios could only be gotten past by having one or the other or combinations of different settings turned on or off / up or down, without really having any understanding of why its working.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is.. it very well may have just been coincidence and luck, and patience & determination; but to me, there seems to be a pattern nontheless, and sticking to this pattern is, i think, how I got so far.

Which on that note, i found that turning the sound on / off while trying to get through a rough scene would often times make it crash even sooner than it usually would otherwise.

anyway, back to what i was saying)

Another crucial aspect of getting through a lot of this was constantly trying different r7 integration builds found on the downloads page of the reicast site;
It seems certain builds dealt better with different situations than others, and for the most part, each major point of crashing was gotten past by a different build; I don't think there was one single build that got me past more than one or two crash scenarios before having to try another.

And with that said, after getting past a major crash / bug part, i found that reverting back to the official r6 was the best for getting through the more stable parts. I really only used r7 integration builds to get past major problems.

There were periods of like 45 minutes to an hour that would run pretty smooth.

about 70% of the walking-around-the-woods-to-the-village-with-Shenhua parts went smooth, and when I actually got to Shenhua's house, it was perfect all the way up to going to the stone pit cave. (except for the scene where you first approach the house and see the flashback of Shenhua as a baby; I had to revert to an r7 integration build to get past that scene; which the build i used for this was one that had just got put up for download about 30 minutes before then. I dk if i would have gotten past that if that one hadn't got put up when it did.)

But then i had to revert back to the official r6 for the rest of the Shenhua's house part, as for some reason, the LT & RT buttons weren't working with that particular build.

(which also btw, in case anyone is wondering, I couldn't even begin to recall which r7 integration builds got me past which parts, as i almost literally tried all of them at one point or another by this time in this exhausting "Android Reicast Shenmue 2 undertaking", and I didn't make a point to remember which ones worked where along the way.)

And that leads to where I'm devastatingly stuck right now.. at the very, very end!!

I'm still working on the scene leading up to the stone pit cave; I've actually gotten a liiiiiittle bit further since I started typing this report
(I'm now seeing her hand actually grab the torch before it crashes, where as a bit ago it would always crash about 2 seconds before that)

______

Well'p, I guess that's all for now.

I hope at least somebody gets something out of my efforts here, and maybe even a little inspiration to keep trying lol.

I will let you all know if I figure out how to get past the end of disc 4, but I really don't know if that's going to be possible;
I will certainly keep trying though, since i've made it this far..

lol

Cheers!

And a tip of my hat to Senpai Gamer as well for his more-detailed, and more-knowledgable efforts in this matter

8)
ggRabbit
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Shenmue 1 & 2

Postby Senpai Gamer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:40 am

ggRabbit wrote: Alright everybody, I think I've reached a milestone as far as getting through both Shenmue 1 & Shenmue 2 with Reicast on Android.. I've made it ALL THE WAY to the VERY END of Shenmue 2 on disc 4, right before Ryo & Shenhua enter the stone pit cave at the very end after leaving Shenhua's house... but to my disbelief, after all of this trial & error and countless hours of frame limiting & frame skipping & dynarec fiddling.. it crashes at the same spot, every single time no matter what, righat as Shenhua goes to grab the torch at the front of the stone pit cave.

(I should probably mention at this point that i did this all on the Mad Catz M.O.J.O. [ which is Android 4.2.2 ]

I think it's safe to say that for most android people, Shenmue 1 was not much of a problem to get through;

Shenmue 2 however..
HOLY HELL..!

but i'm here to let you know that it IS POSSIBLE on Android to basically get all the way through up to the last 5 or 10 minutes of the game, where, unfortunately, you're just simply not going any further, and you just have to watch the ending on youtube.. LOL

(SMH)

How it went down:

Like I said, Shenmue 1 really wasn't a problem, so I'll just go straight into my Shenmue 2 98% completion experience:

- Discs one & two definitely had lots of bugs and crashing, but with constant saving and retrying with different reicast builds, i made it through without ever having to use the dynarec option (except for the very beginning, of course) and never messing with frame limiting or frame skipping.

- Disc three - I must say: it was very, very tough to get through disc 3 with all of it's bugs / crashing, and took a lot of dedication; especially the latter half of disc 3 when you start trying to impress the Scout.
Definitely had to mess with some frame limiting & frame skipping, constant saving, and i actually had to use the dynarec method to get past several different situations.
Especially the Yellow Head Building extravaganza at the end of disc three;
that was just hell in a handbag, and took me HOURS & HOURS to get past that part.. but eventually I did.

Having said that about disc three..

-disc four- MAN..
disc 4 made getting through disc 3 look like a piece of cake on Malibu beach with a foot massage.

it was a LOT of agony, and was incredibly frustrating.. but i did manage to get all the way to the very very last part of the game, right before the final bit in the stone pit cave.

The single toughest part to get past out of any part of any disc was the very beginning of disc 4; the intro scene where you're arriving on the boat to Guilin, similar to the very beginning of disc 1.

However, merely turning off the dynarec and sitting through it doesn't help here.

As a matter of fact, I finally got through it by leaving the dynarec ON.

It literally must have taken me at least 60 tries (several, several hours over the span of two nights to figure it out).

Actually, i wouldn't even say I figured it out really.. i think i might have just gotten lucky; but here's how it happened for me:

Like I said, i gave up on the dynarec trick, and switched that back on.

At the start of the scene, I would have frame skip all the way up, and turned the frame limiting button off (by this, I mean clicking so that the symbol on it is red and the game speeds up, instead of green like it normally would be [not positive if that's considered on or off];
That got me much further than the dynarec trick, but it would still crash right as they lay to board down for Ryo to step off the boat.

So one lucky time, I did what I just said above, but right before it got to that part where he's about to step off (where it would normally crash), i would very quickly turn frame skip all the way back down, turn frame limiting back on, and turn the "turbo" mode ON.

and.. VOILA!

I made it onto the shore, and as soon as it let me, I opened Ryo's menu to save; but right as i hovered over the VMU icon.. IT CRASHED! LMAO

But then i tried that same method maybe two or three more times, and finally was able to make it to the VMU icon and successfully save it.

BAM, I was now on my way to getting through disc 4.

I thought my troubles were over, but ohhhh no they weren't.

There were several, several different scenes & actual gameplay spots that required turning dynarec off to painstakingly slowly get through them, and a lot of scenes i didn't even really get to see as the screen would be tripping out, if not going almost entirely black for tens of seconds at a time.

And in just as many cases, I had to fiddle with frame skipping & frame limiting;

I think getting through a lot of the parts on disc 4 was similar to how Shenhua talks about how she knows what the weather will be like by the direction the winds blowing, the shapes of clouds, and the moisture in the air:

After a while, you start to notice certain patterns & aspects of graphical glitches that sort of for-tell that you're about to need to go ahead and turn up the frame skipping a bit or switch off the frame limiter etc. etc..

The turbo mode also got me through a lot of parts in itself; although it seems to me that turbo mode is just a shortcut for having the frame skip all the way up, frame limiting off, and sound off. but for some reason, only turbo mode would get me past certain situations that the combination of those other three settings wouldn't; so maybe there is something else to turbo mode..

(which btw, I should probably mention that I don't know hardly anything about what these options are really doing or what they're supposed to do, and i am no tech-dude whatsoever; I would bet that most on here know more about how turning these options on or off / up or down are supposed to affect the system than i do;
i just figured out after a while that certain scenarios could only be gotten past by having one or the other or combinations of different settings turned on or off / up or down, without really having any understanding of why its working.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is.. it very well may have just been coincidence and luck, and patience & determination; but to me, there seems to be a pattern nontheless, and sticking to this pattern is, i think, how I got so far.

Which on that note, i found that turning the sound on / off while trying to get through a rough scene would often times make it crash even sooner than it usually would otherwise.

anyway, back to what i was saying)

Another crucial aspect of getting through a lot of this was constantly trying different r7 integration builds found on the downloads page of the reicast site;
It seems certain builds dealt better with different situations than others, and for the most part, each major point of crashing was gotten past by a different build; I don't think there was one single build that got me past more than one or two crash scenarios before having to try another.

And with that said, after getting past a major crash / bug part, i found that reverting back to the official r6 was the best for getting through the more stable parts. I really only used r7 integration builds to get past major problems.

There were periods of like 45 minutes to an hour that would run pretty smooth.

about 70% of the walking-around-the-woods-to-the-village-with-Shenhua parts went smooth, and when I actually got to Shenhua's house, it was perfect all the way up to going to the stone pit cave. (except for the scene where you first approach the house and see the flashback of Shenhua as a baby; I had to revert to an r7 integration build to get past that scene; which the build i used for this was one that had just got put up for download about 30 minutes before then. I dk if i would have gotten past that if that one hadn't got put up when it did.)

But then i had to revert back to the official r6 for the rest of the Shenhua's house part, as for some reason, the LT & RT buttons weren't working with that particular build.

(which also btw, in case anyone is wondering, I couldn't even begin to recall which r7 integration builds got me past which parts, as i almost literally tried all of them at one point or another by this time in this exhausting "Android Reicast Shenmue 2 undertaking", and I didn't make a point to remember which ones worked where along the way.)

And that leads to where I'm devastatingly stuck right now.. at the very, very end!!

I'm still working on the scene leading up to the stone pit cave; I've actually gotten a liiiiiittle bit further since I started typing this report
(I'm now seeing her hand actually grab the torch before it crashes, where as a bit ago it would always crash about 2 seconds before that)

______

Well'p, I guess that's all for now.

I hope at least somebody gets something out of my efforts here, and maybe even a little inspiration to keep trying lol.

I will let you all know if I figure out how to get past the end of disc 4, but I really don't know if that's going to be possible;
I will certainly keep trying though, since i've made it this far..

lol

Cheers!

And a tip of my hat to Senpai Gamer as well for his more-detailed, and more-knowledgable efforts in this matter

8)

Wow man so did you beat it?(i dont want to read your text above since i dont want spoilers)

Update i just started DISK 3

So yes i only encountered TWO massive Bugs which are mentioned above..

Ithe second bug i envounterd was when you do the longest QTE in shenmue ever.Its basically when you havw to rescue ZUHUANA Zhus partner from the Chiyoimen.

To solve this i just used the DYNAREC options method where you switch them off.
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Senpai Gamer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:19 am

Well guys this will be my last update

I finished CD3

And it had 2 major crashes which were easily resolved via DYNAREC options.
The game did crash randomly at other points but if you just load up your save and continue playing then it should work

So there i was loading up cd4 and IT DIDDNT WORK and i cannot at all even boot it up in reicast so therfore im going to watch the full CD4 GUILIN WALKTHROUGH ON YOUTUBE.

I tried but it just wouldnt work.

But so far its a great game and i really enjoyed it especially REN oh man id love to see Ren/Ryo and Guzhang in a mission together because it would be funny as hell.

Anyways thats all and now i have played Shenmue 1 and 2.All i can do now i wait for the 3rd game and that Visual novel which fans are making.

I also recomend playing whats shenmue and watching the shenmue 1 full movie which is great tooo.
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby horizontally » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:13 am

Reicast Forum have now a Guide that helps you running Shenmue 2 in your device, you will find how you can avoid most of the crashing and which Reicast builds you should use to finish CD4.

Shenmue 2 on Android Lollipop Issues & Solutions to CD1 and CD2
http://forums.reicast.com/index.php?topic=1601.0

Shenmue 2 on Android Lollipop Issues & Solutions to CD3 and CD4
http://forums.reicast.com/index.php?topic=1602.0
horizontally
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby VarelaPet » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:24 am

Hello guys, I would like to know if there is a thread like this but for the first Shenmue. I don't know how to fix two problems: the game crashes whenever you try to enter Warehouse no. 8 to talk to master Chen on CD3 and if there is a way to make Space Harrier playable. In other words: Can Shenmue 1 be played until the end on Android's Reicast?
Thanks in advance.
VarelaPet
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: VarelaPet

Postby harlekin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:45 am

I just finished Shenmue 1 with Reicast on an AFTV2.

You can get past the warehouse 8 crash on CD3. In my case I experienced the crash as well, but on the next load I talked to the lunch lady, but let the prompt to look after her sister time out (she takes it as a - no) - and then just entered the old warehouse district, without delivering the meals to the guards, past eight pm. That way the game would not crash and allowed me to continue.

Reicast build used was either

f5f3332 or
73e2691

Can't remember. :)

Have fun continuing the game.
harlekin
Banned
Banned

Postby VarelaPet » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:09 pm

harlekin wrote: I just finished Shenmue 1 with Reicast on an AFTV2.

You can get past the warehouse 8 crash on CD3. In my case I experienced the crash as well, but on the next load I talked to the lunch lady, but let the prompt to look after her sister time out (she takes it as a - no) - and then just entered the old warehouse district, without delivering the meals to the guards, past eight pm. That way the game would not crash and allowed me to continue.

Reicast build used was either

f5f3332 or
73e2691

Can't remember. :)

Have fun continuing the game.

Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much! :-) Just a little question: who is the lunch lady? Can you give me specific instructions of how to find her? I don't remember that part.
Thanks in advance.
VarelaPet
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: VarelaPet

Next

Return to Shenmue II