Suzuki's biggest blunders in Shenmue II

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Suzuki's biggest blunders in Shenmue II

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:09 am

BlueMue wrote: Why are most if not all the woks that someone is cooking with in Shenmue II empty?

They went through the trouble of making a decent looking animation of swinging the wok around, along with some nice sizzling sound effects but they couldn't put at least a flat texture of some noodles or something in there?
This is such a minor detail but one I keep noticing it again and again and somehow it always annoys me a little.

Yeah, that is pretty strange. Perhaps the team thought it would look a little weird having a flat texture inside of a wok that someone was constantly tossing (unlike Tao-san who is simply deep-frying or draining noodles, or whatever it is he's doing), so they decided to do away with any wok contents at all.

Could it have been for technical reasons?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:13 am

ShenGCH wrote:(unlike Tao-san who is simply deep-frying or draining noodles, or whatever it is he's doing)

"Tao-san's special".
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:38 am

Sonoshee wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:(unlike Tao-san who is simply deep-frying or draining noodles, or whatever it is he's doing)

"Tao-san's special".

He sure is.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:09 am

ShenGCH wrote:Yeah, that is pretty strange. Perhaps the team thought it would look a little weird having a flat texture inside of a wok that someone was constantly tossing (unlike Tao-san who is simply deep-frying or draining noodles, or whatever it is he's doing), so they decided to do away with any wok contents at all.

Well, to me there would be much less reason to complain that the food it not moving, compared to having no food in there at all.

I guess they just use one wok model for everywhere in the game and since some of them, that just stand around in corners on the floor and whatnot, should rather be empty, they're all empty.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:46 pm

BlueMue wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:Yeah, that is pretty strange. Perhaps the team thought it would look a little weird having a flat texture inside of a wok that someone was constantly tossing (unlike Tao-san who is simply deep-frying or draining noodles, or whatever it is he's doing), so they decided to do away with any wok contents at all.

Well, to me there would be much less reason to complain that the food it not moving, compared to having no food in there at all.

I guess they just use one wok model for everywhere in the game and since some of them, that just stand around in corners on the floor and whatnot, should rather be empty, they're all empty.

Yeah, that's a good explanation. For all the attention to detail (though much thinner-spread in Shenmue II), they sure did make some odd decisions at times.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:13 am

First person fighting at Beverly Hills Wharf pissed me off.
No free training to get moves strong as fuck so you could just end people.

That's about it though

Shenmue 2 was pretty perfect.

Even though the Ghost Hall planks bothered the hell out of me and was very painful. The fear of falling was intense because of how severe the punishment was it was thrilling you have to admit. But the Dreamcast hard reset and saving before each plank made it easier anyway.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mr357 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:23 pm

DoubleO_Ren wrote:No free training to get moves strong as fuck so you could just end people.

That's why you go get swole with Jianmin.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:42 pm

DoubleO_Ren wrote: First person fighting at Beverly Hills Wharf pissed me off.
No free training to get moves strong as fuck so you could just end people.

That's about it though

Shenmue 2 was pretty perfect.

Even though the Ghost Hall planks bothered the hell out of me and was very painful. The fear of falling was intense because of how severe the punishment was it was thrilling you have to admit. But the Dreamcast hard reset and saving before each plank made it easier anyway.

Ghost Hall Building is legendary, man. One of the many best and fascinating moments in ShII :heart:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:09 am

Having hundreds of randomly generated rooms without anything of interest in them. The technology itself was interesting for the time but the result was boring and pointless. Then again the alternative was probably just closed doors so I guess it's not so much a blunder as it is an underwhelming addition.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:10 pm

DoubleO_Ren wrote:Even though the Ghost Hall planks bothered the hell out of me and was very painful. The fear of falling was intense because of how severe the punishment was it was thrilling you have to admit. But the Dreamcast hard reset and saving before each plank made it easier anyway.

It's thrilling, sure, but it's the same kind of 'thrilling' as being trapped in a hot elevator while suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:29 am

Having no way to get to up on that ledge with tables and chairs at Café Anna.
It isn't just that it's blocked off for Ryo or something. No, there isn't even a visible way how to get up there.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Amir
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:11 pm

BlueMue wrote: Having no way to get to up on that ledge with tables and chairs at Café Anna.
It isn't just that it's blocked off for Ryo or something. No, there isn't even a visible way how to get up there.

hah I remember thinking the same as a kid. Shenmue paid so much attention to detail that these little things really stood out for me when playing through it.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Mr357 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:48 pm

Having no chance to save for over 30 minutes during Guilin. From the time you start the first QTE sequence, and until Ryo and Shenhua leave the cave the next morning, there is absolutely no way to save your game.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Mr357 wrote: Having no chance to save for over 30 minutes during Guilin. From the time you start the first QTE sequence, and until Ryo and Shenhua leave the cave the next morning, there is absolutely no way to save your game.

Is it not possible to save from the inventory menu?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby IrishNinja » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:29 pm

...damn, now i really want that boat chapter.
IrishNinja
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: TheIrishNinja
XBL: The NZA 2099
Nintendo FC: IrishNinja
Steam: The NZA
Currently playing: Guardian Heroes

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II