Suzuki's biggest blunders in Shenmue II

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Suzuki's biggest blunders in Shenmue II

Postby SMDzero » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:17 am

ShenGCH wrote:
SMDzero wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
SMDzero wrote: Biggest blunder is that if you DON'T want to wait for an event... you have to select "Wait".

Lol I've never seen that button from that angle but I think you're right. Some people could have been tricked (including you so?).

On a wider level, I wonder if Shenmue III will become a tutorial fest for this kind of stuff. There is a massive tendency to include tutorials in modern games, even for the simplest things.

Well outside Man Mo temple I WANTED to wait and not skip ahead so I selected 'wait' but it skipped me ahead!

The same thing happened @ Shenhua's house when she was making lunch.

Why couldn't the options be "Wait" and "Skip Ahead"??

Because it doesn't skip ahead - it speeds up time for the convenience of the player while Ryo waits. The only time you can say it 'skips ahead' is when you do a Chawan sign and the cutscene kicks in immediately following picking the "Wait" option. Other than that, Ryo is objectively waiting.

Well I just assumed it was asking ME THE PLAYER if I wanted to wait. So I selected "wait" and as a result I didn't have to wait at all as it skipped ahead!
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: Suzuki's biggest blunders in Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:24 am

A lot of games directly ask the player by describing literally which buttons to press to do a new action.

Shenmue never breaks the fourth wall like these games. The masters tell Ryo only the basic movements to reproduce. It's the same when Ryo has to follow tips to achieve an everyday task like Tom's instructions to control the forklift. No buttons are readable in the instruction texts aside from the very basic functions.

Shenmue always talks to Ryo before the player because the player IS Ryo, inside the immersive world of the game. That's why the Shenmue II waiting interface makes sense with the rest of the game.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Previous

Return to Shenmue II