Suzuki's biggest blunders in Shenmue II

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Suzuki's biggest blunders in Shenmue II

Postby Mr357 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:52 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
Mr357 wrote: Having no chance to save for over 30 minutes during Guilin. From the time you start the first QTE sequence, and until Ryo and Shenhua leave the cave the next morning, there is absolutely no way to save your game.

Is it not possible to save from the inventory menu?

Nope. Right before the first QTE segment is your last chance until the morning of the following day. It goes QTE, cutscene, QTE, cutscene, QTE, cutscene, walking to the cave with no options except "A," cutscene, gathering firewood (again, pressing "Y" does nothing), chatting with Shenhua at the fire, and then a few cutscenes. I know it's over 30 minutes because I just recorded this part.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:04 pm

Why didn't they include an option to turn off the map on the hud in case you have one and want to?
The map graphics take up quite a big portion of the screen and distract quite a bit.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:43 pm

Subduing the RPG dimension of Shenmue I instead improving it.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:34 am

Yokosuka wrote: Subduing the RPG dimension of Shenmue I instead improving it.

The first game really wasn't an RPG to begin with, but there was certainly a feeling of the tightness of the 'structure' having been watered down in the second game, despite the latter having actual side quests which weren't just easy-to-miss cutscenes; not to mention multiple ways of making money, the ability to modify your move-set, more examples of dialogue choices, etc.. Might have been something to do with the sheer scale of the map compared to the first game, which was very self-contained.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:58 am

Shenmue II is a better "RPG" than Shenmue 1. In Shenmue II I can pretend to be a giant ogre to scare a kid through a dialogue choice.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:14 pm

About the OP, I'd be really happy if the health regen feature during fights could be taken out completely. To me it seems just an easy cop-out to just not learn combat properly, and the game is already easy as it is (same complaint I have for the first one).
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:58 pm

Ehh, quite a few obvious ones to be honest given how far gaming has come. But I forgive them considering how old this game is, I don't exactly get angry with Ocarina of Time for its flaws, they are pioneering games that introducing far more good things than bad things.

I would like some side quests to be honest. There's this huge open world but little in the way of stuff to actually do on the side. It would be cool to talk to random people just to hear them say something random, and to come across NPCs who request help from you in some way. It would also be neat to be able to build relationships with certain people, like Izumi.

I just feel like I'm going to end up making a wishlist for Shenmue 3 so I'll stop now.
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:17 am

sand4fish wrote: About the OP, I'd be really happy if the health regen feature during fights could be taken out completely. To me it seems just an easy cop-out to just not learn combat properly, and the game is already easy as it is (same complaint I have for the first one).

Aren't the enemy's health regenerating at the same rate?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:33 am

Actually you are right. I went back to both games and I did see health regen on enemies on the second game at least. I guess my real gripe is I wish AI was more engaging when Ryo is running away or more engaging in general. A harder difficulty mode would make all that move training much more worth the time.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:55 pm

Biggest blunder is that if you DON'T want to wait for an event... you have to select "Wait".
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:36 pm

SMDzero wrote: Biggest blunder is that if you DON'T want to wait for an event... you have to select "Wait".

Well, technically Ryo is waiting - it's just that we, the player, don't have to experience the wait in real-time. It makes perfect sense.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:39 am

SMDzero wrote: Biggest blunder is that if you DON'T want to wait for an event... you have to select "Wait".

Lol I've never seen that button from that angle but I think you're right. Some people could have been tricked (including you so?).

On a wider level, I wonder if Shenmue III will become a tutorial fest for this kind of stuff. There is a massive tendency to include tutorials in modern games, even for the simplest things.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:18 am

Yokosuka wrote:

Lol I've never seen that button from that angle but I think you're right. Some people could have been tricked (including you so?).

On a wider level, I wonder if Shenmue III will become a tutorial fest for this kind of stuff. There is a massive tendency to include tutorials in modern games, even for the simplest things.

I remember the very first time I was presented with the "Wait" option - I think it was when you have to wait outside the Man Mo Temple library - I was confused because I thought something along the lines of Uhh... why do I need an option to do something I could do without being presented an option? Is it just going to take control away and force me to stand here for real-world minutes? So I selected "Wait", time sped up, and everything went smoothly.

Great little improvement over the progression issue of the first game.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:07 pm

Yokosuka wrote:

Well outside Man Mo temple I WANTED to wait and not skip ahead so I selected 'wait' but it skipped me ahead!

The same thing happened @ Shenhua's house when she was making lunch.

Why couldn't the options be "Wait" and "Skip Ahead"??
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:42 pm

SMDzero wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

Well outside Man Mo temple I WANTED to wait and not skip ahead so I selected 'wait' but it skipped me ahead!

The same thing happened @ Shenhua's house when she was making lunch.

Why couldn't the options be "Wait" and "Skip Ahead"??

Because it doesn't skip ahead - it speeds up time for the convenience of the player while Ryo waits. The only time you can say it 'skips ahead' is when you do a Chawan sign and the cutscene kicks in immediately following picking the "Wait" option. Other than that, Ryo is objectively waiting.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II