Help me find a cheap copy of Shenmue II Dreamcast

(Chapters 3-6)

Help me find a cheap copy of Shenmue II Dreamcast

Postby Himuro » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:03 pm

A few years ago I needed money badly and I regret it but had to sell my copies of Shenmue II and Suikoden II. Two of my most treasured games. I gave my copy of Suikoden II to Irish Ninja from GAF. So I know it's safe. But Shenmue II...it's my favorite game of all time. I looked online and now it's running for over 200 dolars. Jesus Christ. What can I do? Maybe buy the Japanese version I guess.

I've got Shenmue IIX of course but everyone knows that's the inferior version.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Re: Help me find a cheap copy of Shenmue II Dreamcast

Postby Mr357 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:52 pm

If you're patient, and check eBay and wherever else daily, you might come across a good deal eventually. I managed to snag a complete copy earlier this year for $80 after a couple months of searching. The little plastic teeth of the cases all broke during shipping (as they so infamously do).
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:01 pm

The best way is to watch auctions and not Buy It Now's. You should get them about half the price depending on the day it ends. Sadly that's the way retro gaming has gone now. All the really fantastic games have a hefty price tag. Look at Panzer Dragoon Saga.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:31 pm

Sonoshee wrote:Look at Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Unbelievable. I could make well over 100% profit if I sold mine at the average price they're listed for on eBay, and I haven't even had it for a year! Sorry to derail, but do you know what caused the spike in price?
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby zaneiken » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:39 am

Check eBay.co.uk and use a mail forwarder. I recently got a copy for a friend for about US$80 shipped to Australia.
zaneiken
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:43 am

Mr357 wrote:

Unbelievable. I could make well over 100% profit if I sold mine at the average price they're listed for on eBay, and I haven't even had it for a year! Sorry to derail, but do you know what caused the spike in price?

I'd like to say rarity, but compared to other Saturn games on Ebay, Saga isn't really that rare. Take a look at PAL versions of Mr Bones or Deep Fear that you barely see on there these days, or for the completely elusive - try Swagman or Daytona Netlink Edition. Sadly, in Saga's case, I think its down to one seller bumping the price up by £100 and then the rest follow suit.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:51 am

Mr357 wrote:

Youtubers. Retro gaming collection has been popularized by them.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby James Brown » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Are you in America Himuro? Cause if I click sold listings for Shenmue 2, they range mostly from like £60-£85 which is like $100ish at the high end. Because obviously the PAL version is listed alot more on ebay.co.uk (for some reason UK sellers are much less likely to ship worldwide - unlike sellers from other countries), maybe your best bet would be to get a friend ie. one of us - even me if you want :)...to keep an eye on bidding or a cheaper buy it now, and can buy and ship it to you - I think it would work out nearly half the price you originally stated like that :)

James Brown has received a thanks from: Himuro
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Mr357 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Mr357 wrote:

But that picked up years ago. What happened in the last 9 months that brought so much attention to PDS?
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:08 pm

The Shenmue III craze really pushed the prices to a ridiculous amount. A year or so before the announcement I bought a mint and signed Shenmue II for much more reasonable price. It's sad for the people that wanna try them out. They're left with emulation and burning the game. If only we had HD ports.......
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:25 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Mr357 wrote:

But that picked up years ago. What happened in the last 9 months that brought so much attention to PDS?

Have a look at the last sentence in my last post. I'm convinced that's what it really is.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Sonoshee wrote:Have a look at the last sentence in my last post. I'm convinced that's what it really is.

Yes, I saw it, but a complete doubling in price for an already wildly expensive game seems a bit suspicious to me. I guess that's the power of re-sellers though.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks for all the advice and that would be great for me James Brown!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:40 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
Mr357 wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Mr357 wrote:

Have a look at the last sentence in my last post. I'm convinced that's what it really is.

To add, it is public knowledge now that the source code to Sagas was lost. It was also a late release if I remember correctly so not as many copies exist. That being said, it will probably never get remade so the price is now skyrocketed.

Which sucks because that game is legendary.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Thief » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:34 pm

You can buy mine if you want. PM and we can discuss a fair price. I don't like the PAL version honestly, since I started with Shenmue IIx, so it's no loss to me.

It's in pretty good condition too, minimal scuff marks on the paper cardboard (from being put on a shelf), but otherwise nice.

Thief has received a thanks from: Himuro
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue II