Help me find a cheap copy of Shenmue II Dreamcast

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Help me find a cheap copy of Shenmue II Dreamcast

Postby James Brown » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Himuro wrote: Thanks for all the advice and that would be great for me James Brown!

Cool, well if you don't happen to take Thief up on his offer above (now last post of last page :P ), let me know on here or twitter and we can sort something out :)
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:04 pm

Thief wrote: You can buy mine if you want. PM and we can discuss a fair price. I don't like the PAL version honestly, since I started with Shenmue IIx, so it's no loss to me.

It's in pretty good condition too, minimal scuff marks on the paper cardboard (from being put on a shelf), but otherwise nice.

omg thanks for helping a girl out
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Mr357 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:27 pm

shengoro86 wrote:To add, it is public knowledge now that the source code to Sagas was lost. It was also a late release if I remember correctly so not as many copies exist. That being said, it will probably never get remade so the price is now skyrocketed.

Which sucks because that game is legendary.

I don't think it's been 100% confirmed that the source code was lost, but it's true that the game was one of the last North American releases for the Saturn (still nearly a year and a half before the launch of the Dreamcast), and was produced in a very limited quantity to anticipate poor sales.

As Sega had moved its focus to its next console, the Dreamcast, fewer than 20,000 copies were released in the west.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:44 pm

PDS has always been rare and expensive but I'm seeing it online for 800 bucks now. What the fuck.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Mr357 wrote: I don't think it's been 100% confirmed that the source code was lost

Creator and lead developer on the Panzer Dragoon series Yukio Futatsugi confirmed it had been lost in a retrospective with 1up. I think that's all the confirmation you'll ever need :P

I think Sega did three seperate pressings of 20,000 copies if I remember correctly for the NA market (most of which was to meet preorder demand.) I couldn't tell you how many Europe got, maybe less? It is rare and it is an extremely phenomenal game, but when you look at other Saturn titles like Taromaru that recieved 7,000 copies total (due to the Time Warner pressing plant being closed down during production), it puts things in perspective - and for some strange reason that goes for around the same price as the NA version of PDS :???:

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, Mr357
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Why do they even need the source code? They can just emulate it and release the emulation.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:46 am

Thief wrote: Why do they even need the source code? They can just emulate it and release the emulation.

Saturn is...well, a special system. Its disc protection tech was cracked just recently. It's also hard to emulate. There's a reason there was no Sega Saturn Hits Collection and the Saturn games that were released later, like Panzer Dragoon on Panzer Dragoon Orta, were originally made for the PC as well, allowing for the port to happen. Saturn is just an unfortunate system full of fuck ups and mistakes.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby James Brown » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:52 am

Himuro wrote:
Thief wrote: Why do they even need the source code? They can just emulate it and release the emulation.

Saturn is...well, a special system. Its disc protection tech was cracked just recently. It's also hard to emulate. There's a reason there was no Sega Saturn Hits Collection and the Saturn games that were released later, like Panzer Dragoon on Panzer Dragoon Orta, were originally made for the PC as well, allowing for the port to happen. Saturn is just an unfortunate system full of fuck ups and mistakes.

Up until recently I had no idea that you could even burn games on cd'rs...I always thought that was one machine that was bullet proof so to speak :)

Would love a remastered Sonic R :mrgreen:
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:32 pm

James Brown wrote:Up until recently I had no idea that you could even burn games on cd'rs...I always thought that was one machine that was bullet proof so to speak :)

Would love a remastered Sonic R :mrgreen:

Every console can have its read protection bypassed, even if it requires a modchip.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:44 pm

I was lucky enough to find a copy of Shenmue II pal in mint codition for a great deal. I think I bought it early this year from ebay and I also got a copy of Shenmue one new sealed for $44 I think.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:33 am

Himuro wrote: PDS has always been rare and expensive but I'm seeing it online for 800 bucks now. What the fuck.

obviously not being sold for 800$
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby James Brown » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:38 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
Himuro wrote: PDS has always been rare and expensive but I'm seeing it online for 800 bucks now. What the fuck.

obviously not being sold for 800$

US version I think is alot more expensive, not sure about $800, but generally I think it's not far off. Here in the UK for the PAL version, I paid a cool £200 - still alot mind...but for a 4 disc "best game" on the system, I think it's well worth it!
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby kazuma.vs.ryo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:01 am

i also want to buy shenmue 2 pal version, but need disc 1 only, to make my game complete again, if you guys find something pls let me know, thanks
kazuma.vs.ryo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: shenmue

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:54 am

BlueMue wrote: The Shenmue III craze really pushed the prices to a ridiculous amount. A year or so before the announcement I bought a mint and signed Shenmue II for much more reasonable price. It's sad for the people that wanna try them out. They're left with emulation and burning the game. If only we had HD ports.......

with the risk of sounding obtuse but people can't spare a 100$ these days? if you can't then you should have completely different priorities than gaming anyway
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:56 am

kazuma.vs.ryo wrote: i also want to buy shenmue 2 pal version, but need disc 1 only, to make my game complete again, if you guys find something pls let me know, thanks

I had the same problem years back. my disc 2 was broken so I burned that disc. I gave my copy away to someone I knew who liked shenmue 1. after that I bought a few shenmue 2's so I would never have a shortage again.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II