Shenmue 2 unused asset: map of Langhuishan village

(Chapters 3-6)

Shenmue 2 unused asset: map of Langhuishan village

Postby Switch » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:18 am

It's probably well known that the onscreen maps that Ryo can buy in Shenmue 2 are stored as individual graphics files.

But it was quite surprising to find a map of a place where it's not possible to buy a map - the small port of Langhuishan in Guilin.

Map of Workers' Pier (used)

Map of Langhuishan (unused)
Image Image

There are a few small differences in the location of some of the stalls and structures, although overall it's quite close to the actual location Ryo visits.

Blog post: http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/10/map-of-langhuishan-shenmue-2-unused.html

Switch has received 5 thanks from: mceja, Mr357, NeoShredder, Sappharad, shengoro86
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Shenmue 2 unused asset: map of Langhuishan village

Postby SMDzero » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:57 pm

Switch wrote: It's probably well known that the onscreen maps that Ryo can buy in Shenmue 2 are stored as individual graphics files.

But it was quite surprising to find a map of a place where it's not possible to buy a map - the small port of Langhuishan in Guilin.

Map of Workers' Pier (used)

Map of Langhuishan (unused)
Image Image

There are a few small differences in the location of some of the stalls and structures, although overall it's quite close to the actual location Ryo visits.

Blog post: http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/10/map-of-langhuishan-shenmue-2-unused.html

Who could possibly manage to get lost in languishan???
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Sappharad » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Today I went in search of my original save file from the first time I beat Shenmue 2. I actually have a copy of it still, because I made a bunch of memory card backups back then. I got the game for Christmas in 2001, and finished my first ever play though on December 28th 2001. Anyway, that's unrelated.

What IS related is the fact that the Langhuishan map appears on the save file selection screen for a cleared save file. It is smaller than the map pictured here, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: Switch
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Switch » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:36 am

That's really interesting. I didn't expect this graphic was used at all in the game.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Mr357 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:25 pm

I used to assume that this map, which is shown when loading a Shenmue I save, was of the Yokosuka harbor, but it's actually Worker's and Fortune's Piers. To my knowledge, this specific one doesn't appear anywhere else in the game.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Sappharad
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:24 pm

Mr357 wrote: I used to assume that this map, which is shown when loading a Shenmue I save, was of the Yokosuka harbor, but it's actually Worker's and Fortune's Piers. To my knowledge, this specific one doesn't appear anywhere else in the game.

I wish I had had the opportunity to continue my cleared Shenmue 1 file... beat the game on Christmas Day 1986....
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby drunkensailor » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:56 am

SMDzero wrote:
Mr357 wrote: I used to assume that this map, which is shown when loading a Shenmue I save, was of the Yokosuka harbor, but it's actually Worker's and Fortune's Piers. To my knowledge, this specific one doesn't appear anywhere else in the game.

I wish I had had the opportunity to continue my cleared Shenmue 1 file... beat the game on Christmas Day 1986....

why can't you?
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Return to Shenmue II