Guilin is the best part of any game to me

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Guilin is the best part of any game to me

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu May 25, 2017 1:50 am

I thought Yu already said S3 is gonna start at the point where Shenhua and Ryo reach Shenhua's house? Would be a bit abrupt to start directly in the cave, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I think I'm with Himuro on this one. I think the Shenmue fanbase needed a really "painful" cliffhanger to keep the franchise alive. Ending the second game on the rooftop in Hong Kong would not have brought up many new mysteries and would also have provided some form of closure, so I think Guilin played a vital role in keeping the fans' desire for S3 alive.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Thu May 25, 2017 1:59 am

But what about the shenmue community being almost completely dead for years, only maintained by a few die hard fans doing mods and regulars who rarely discussed shenmue at all?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby drunkensailor » Thu May 25, 2017 3:49 am

south carmain wrote: But what about the shenmue community being almost completely dead for years, only maintained by a few die hard fans doing mods and regulars who rarely discussed shenmue at all?

shenmue community was never dead.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Thu May 25, 2017 4:00 am

DAP wrote: Himuro,
it's surprising, yet inspiring, to see your love for Guilin. Here are the main reasons you said you love it:

It's so beautiful in its contrast to the rest of the series with its sights AND sounds. The fateful meeting, the ambient music, the conversations, the easy-going tone of it, the mystery of the stone cave.

Urban vs rural; the physical vs mystical; patience vs impatience.

The music is probably the most staying part for me.
The hawk scene still gives me chills when I see it.

Pretty much every mystery in the series is grounded in Guilin.

Which of those reasons (or another) is the cherry-on-top of your love of Guilin?
Did you love Guilin that much 10 years ago?
Have you visited Guilin IRL?

I think the urban vs rural and material vs immaterial is my favorite. It really changed my perspective on how I viewed things, such as rural life which I considered inferior to my suburban living when I played it. It literally changed my world view and made me hope for something more in nature and in this world. I remember one part where they're talking about cows and how in Japan, they eat cows. I thought that was natural because I was American and hey, we eat burgers. But Shenhua talked about how they couldn't eat cows because otherwise they'd have nothing to fertilize or help till their land. It truly showed the disparity between lifestyles Ryo (me as a stand in) had in contrast to Shenhua. And while it seems obvious, it really opened the mind of a naive 20 year old city kid's mind to a different way of living. I learned that there's some things that the city doesn't and can't offer. It has inspired me to want to go camping out in nature and just look at the stars some time. I've been planning on doing that once a year, actually.

Yes I have felt the same exact way about Guilin since I first played it in 2006.

I have not visited Guilin but it is one of my goals to do so someday.

Why is it surprising I love Guilin so much? Almost all of my Shenmue related avatars are Shenhua doing something rural in Guilin and it's deliberate - I am in love with the area so much and I cannot wait to explore it in III.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Mystere
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Thu May 25, 2017 4:12 am

drunkensailor wrote:
south carmain wrote: But what about the shenmue community being almost completely dead for years, only maintained by a few die hard fans doing mods and regulars who rarely discussed shenmue at all?

shenmue community was never dead.

Ehh it pretty much was, for years it was just a few die hard members on the dojo contributing to the shenmue sections mainly through mods and the odd discussion on the series every now and then while regulars kept the website alive mainly by contributing to the off-topic sections. Around 2010 there was somewhat of a revival of the shenmue community through the debut of the 500k campaign but even then it wasn't easy regathering what we could of the dispersed shenmue fanbase. There was shenmue master too but that place could go days without anyone posting so I wouldn't consider it "alive" either.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby DAP » Thu May 25, 2017 9:12 am

Himuro wrote:... It literally changed my world view and made me hope for something more in nature and in this world.
... It has inspired me to want to go camping out in nature and just look at the stars some time. I've been planning on doing that once a year, actually.

That's really cool man! I've wondered if a game could inspire someone to explore real nature; to enjoy real wilderness more than fantasy wilderness.

And thanks for answering my questions so quickly ^_~

Himuro wrote:...
Why is it surprising I love Guilin so much? Almost all of my Shenmue related avatars are Shenhua doing something rural in Guilin and it's deliberate - I am in love with the area so much and I cannot wait to explore it in III.

I guess I assumed most gamers would see Guilin as one long boring cutscene. But, I forgot Shenmue fans are not "most gamers". On that note, I have you guys to thank for motivating Suzuki-san to make S3.

DAP has received a thanks from: Himuro
DAP
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Himuro » Fri May 26, 2017 3:38 pm

I watched the latest episode of the Game Informer Super Replay and it just really communicated my feelings on disc 4 even more. I really, really love it.

I'd try to pick my favorite song from Guilin but I find that impossible but I'm going to try.

It'd probably be this due to the conversations you have with Shenhua. The atmosphere. It just really makes the entire thing so beautiful to me and it's burned into my mind as one of my favorite sections of a game.

phpBB [video]
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Niowiad » Fri May 26, 2017 4:03 pm

My fav Guilin track is probably this one.
The arrangement is so simple, almost minimal, but this thing got stuck in my head really really bad. :king:
phpBB [video]
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BigTuna » Sat May 27, 2017 6:37 am

Easily my favorite track.

phpBB [video]
BigTuna