Guilin is the best part of any game to me

(Chapters 3-6)

Guilin is the best part of any game to me

Postby Himuro » Sat May 20, 2017 11:39 pm

The Guilin section of Shenmue II is my favorite section of a game ever made. It's so beautiful in its contrast to the rest of the series with its sights AND sounds. The fateful meeting, the ambient music, the conversations, the easy-going tone of it, the mystery of the stone cave. I just love it so much. Watching the Game Informer video of it has been a big reminder of that. Anyone else feel similarly?

Himuro has received 6 thanks from: BigTuna, Kiske, Monkei, nskachu, Sonoshee, Spaghetti
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Re: Guilin is the best part of any game to me

Postby sand4fish » Sat May 20, 2017 11:57 pm

It's definitely one of my favorite epilogues and that cliffhanger in the end still gets to me even today. I'm still wondering where the supernatural aspect of the plot is going to take us next after this epic final scene:

Last edited by sand4fish on Sun May 21, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Sun May 21, 2017 12:03 am

I still hate that ending.

But fuck, that tree was something else.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby BigTuna » Sun May 21, 2017 1:44 am

I absolutely agree. I have a save file right at the start of the Guilin section. I often go back and relive it when I need to unwind and relax. It's so beautiful. Unbelievable that a video game was able to achieve what Shenmue did.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Niowiad » Sun May 21, 2017 3:24 am

Guilin parts were so special in their own way.
Although I feel like the parts I enjoyed the most, were the ones in which the player was somehow led to feel like a lone wolf in an unexplored and sometimes hostile new land. I'm mainly referring to the arrival in Hong Kong as a stranger, opposed to what it felt like being familiar to most other characters in Yokosuka.
Similar thing when he had to move to the Kowloon area.
With that said, Guilin probably is a more unique/original experience.
Niowiad

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Sun May 21, 2017 4:42 am

I don't think this part would have been as sacred if AM2 decided to postpone it to Shenmue 3 as initially planned.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby drunkensailor » Sun May 21, 2017 7:21 am

guilin is so amazing I have multiple save files across my vmu's for different era's in that chapter so I can watch them in a second. including the opening, just before the crag and the eagle flight and just before the revealing of shenmue.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Himuro » Sun May 21, 2017 8:30 am

Yokosuka wrote: I don't think this part would have been as sacred if AM2 decided to postpone it to Shenmue 3 as initially planned.

Disagree. It melded with the rest of the game so well thematically. Urban vs rural; the physical vs mystical; patience vs impatience. Shenmue II would be merely a great game without it. With it I truly feel it's an all time classic.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Sun May 21, 2017 11:58 am

That's what I meant (I guess my English was incorrect?). There is an amusing irony that the best decision regarding Shenmue II has been done rather unintentionally.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Sun May 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Wasn't it intentional though?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Monkei » Sun May 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Himuro wrote:The Guilin section of Shenmue II is my favorite section of a game ever made. It's so beautiful in its contrast to the rest of the series with its sights AND sounds. The fateful meeting, the ambient music, the conversations, the easy-going tone of it, the mystery of the stone cave. I just love it so much. Watching the Game Informer video of it has been a big reminder of that. Anyone else feel similarly?

jep, i feel the same way about it :)

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Monkei has received a thanks from: Himuro
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun May 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes, it is the best part of any game I've ever played, to me as well. Also, imho, "Disc 4" is what makes the difference for S2 from being just a fantastic game to the single best game of all time. Don't get me wrong, S2 would have been one incredible, outstanding, legendary game even without it but the Guilin part is really what makes it my personal best game of all time. It just puts it a cut above anything I've ever seen, and probably ever will see.

In fact, S2 made the rest of gaming kind of "sour" to me for many years, which is part of why I had also quit gaming for like 10 years. S3's announcement brought me back to gaming again. But for many years, I just didn't find any game even remotely as captivating, beautiful and entertaining as S2, except for S1. So I didn't like gaming very much anymore.

I guess the announcement of S3 gave me new "hope" for gaming and as I have grown older I have kind of grown to accept that no game will probably be as good (to me personally) as S1 and S2 but I figured I could still have fun with other games. Still, nothing can touch S2. In fact, nothing can touch S1 , except for S2 which surpassed it. :)

Will S3 surpass S2? I don't expect it to and I don't need it to. I hope it'll be a great game in its own right, but frankly I don't think it will be as great as S2.

Part of what made S2 great was the sheer scope it covered. The bustling streets of Wan Chai, the lively harbor are of Aberdeen with the sketchy Beverly Hills wharf, the maze-like Kowloon with its sinister skyscrapers and street fighting spots, combined with Guilin's breathtaking landscape.

Yu never intended S3 to have that scope. I think it can be more like S1, covering a relatively small area while offering great depth.

Hyo Razuki has received 4 thanks from: Hazuki00, Himuro, Monkei, Mystere
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Sun May 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Shenmue II is easily my favorite game of all time. When I list my favorite game I say Shenmue I+II or the Shenmue series. But really, the only reason I is there is because it's tied to II and makes II even better. I consider 1 to be garnish and II to be the actual meal. Not to say I isn't great, because it is. But my passion and love for I doesn't nearly touch my love for II. And yet they wouldn't work with the other. Such a beautiful complimentary duo of games. With III, I believe I'll finally be able say Shenmue trilogy as my favorite game. :)

Himuro has received a thanks from: Monkei
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sun May 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Since it seems like Shenmue 3 will start at the beginning of the Guilin section of Shenmue 2, are you guys gonna rush through it to find out as quickly as possible what happens after the cave or will you take your time to take in all of the sights remade in modern graphics?

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Monkei
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Monkei » Sun May 21, 2017 4:48 pm

south carmain wrote:Since it seems like Shenmue 3 will start at the beginning of the Guilin section of Shenmue 2, are you guys gonna rush through it to find out as quickly as possible what happens after the cave or will you take your time to take in all of the sights remade in modern graphics?

ill take my time with it for sure.. play it like shenmue I, where i spent hours an hours exploring the hazuki residence or the streets nearest to it, knocking on every door and trying to do everything the game had to offer :)

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Monkei has received a thanks from: south carmain
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue II