Simulated leaf catching.

(Chapters 3-6)

Simulated leaf catching.

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:29 am

We all remember the bit catching leaves. Liked it or loved it we were all so relieved when we did it. All this time I never attempted it myself. Now I am fantastic at catching anything. For whatever reason I always practice catching things in various ways. Just any object. In HS if a football was thrown my way there was a 99% chance I would catch it. Same thing in little league with Baseball. So since this is a skill I developed my whole life why not try leaf catching form Shenmue II? Well I live downtown and no real trees around me. I have to improvise. I tore off a piece of a napkin. Tossed it up in the air and tried to catch with my two fingers.

My god that is not easy lol. I would often catch it at least once but miss the next so like the game I started over. It took about 15 minutes and multiple attempts but I did it. Yes the highlight of my life is catching a piece of napkin with 2 fingers :lol: .

It's something you should try just for the sake of it. It's quite a challenge.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Simulated leaf catching.

Postby Niowiad » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:14 am

I tried that a couple times when I first got Shenmue II... early high school years :lol:
Pretty much the same thing as the 'Expectation/Reality' memes :-k

Niowiad has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:53 am

I am also guilty of trying this out in real life after playing that part of the game a couple of times.

Me and a buddy took a little torn piece of a sheet of paper and let it drop for the other one from a high position behind a bed curtain. This made it less predictable when it would drop. And oh man it was already extremely hard to predict how it would fall. It would move in any directions with all sorts of turns and flips. It was also way faster than the leaves in the game. I guess those paper pieces were just to heavy.

Using the whole hand worked at times but we never managed to catch the thing with just two fingers, like Ryo.
On rare occasions it was pretty close but then it would always just get pushed away by the fingers. We didn't try this very often or too long, it was just to impractical to do and the results were too frustrating. :lol:

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Bluecast
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Centrale » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:22 pm

It's definitely something I've tried to do when it's Autumn and real leaves are falling in abundance. Very difficult! I've only tried to catch them with my full hand, haven't yet tried Ryo's style.

I like that part of the game because it feels like an authentic martial arts practice translated to video game interface. At least my impression of what that would be like. It's kind of meditative.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:04 pm

MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317