Shenmue II on XBox One

(Chapters 3-6)

Shenmue II on XBox One

Postby sand4fish » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:35 pm

It is not exactly HD, but at least current gen console owners might get the chance to experience a Shenmue game.

For now, Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge is the only title confirmed so far.

I expect Xbox Shenmue 2's price to skyrocket on ebay near future.
Last edited by sand4fish on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

sand4fish has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, munchmunch, RootyKazooty
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue II now playable on XBox One

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Great news! If Shenmue HD doesn't work out in the end, at least we've landed on the moon with this announcement (hopefully that isn't the case though, we need shenmue 1 too).

Now, there's a few XboxOG games I need to rebuy, my brother "borrowed" some of my games and hasn't returned them in the last 12 years xD

Maybe a good time to try other OG games too, never finished Jade Empire, Republic Commando or played KOTOR.

I'm hoping it just all works naively though, and doesn't require them to seek out permission to publishers to add titles (otherwise I'd worry for games like Shenmue 2) although sega have been great with adding 360 backward compat titles for the xbone, it's capcom games like capcom vs. snk 2 that have me worried (because capcom IF you're lucky would rather they sell you a port at a premium and doesn't like to support backwards compat much)

A very prosumer move though all this backwards compatibility scheme, glad they value it unlike a certain competitor who's been downplaying it recently, rhyming with Pony xD.

EDIT: So many people posting their copy of Shenmue 2 on Twitter in anticipation to play it, nice to see :-)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:41 am

Why put up such a misleading title? It's simply not true.
I posted about this news in the E3 topic and the first reaction I got is "will never happen". Now we have the extreme opposite "playable now"? Dude, not a single Xbox game is backwards compatible yet and who knows what games are really gonna make it onto the list.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:27 am

BlueMue wrote: Why put up such a misleading title? It's simply not true.
I posted about this news in the E3 topic and the first reaction I got is "will never happen". Now we have the extreme opposite "playable now"? Dude, not a single Xbox game is backwards compatible yet and who knows what games are really gonna make it onto the list.

I went a bit overboard with the title as I was too happily surprised with Penello's string of tweets and didn't really consider the words I put in. I apologize and hopefully I fixed the mistake accordingly.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Shenmue II on XBox One

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:38 am

If there's a downloadable version (which is a whole other question in itself), what are the odds of it including Shenmue: The Movie?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:01 am

sand4fish wrote:I went a bit overboard with the title as I was too happily surprised with Penello's string of tweets and didn't really consider the words I put in. I apologize and hopefully I fixed the mistake accordingly.

No problem. I'm excited over this of this myself since the moment they announced it at the E3 conference.
But it's too early to be sure about anything so let's just sit back and see where they're going with this first.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:21 am

Let's not be so pessimistic, SxII was retrocompatible with the 360 (and also not all games were).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Erin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:38 pm

shredingskin wrote: Let's not be so pessimistic, SxII was retrocompatible with the 360 (and also not all games were).

The great news with this, however, is that Xbox One backward compatibility works differently. It reads the game disc, but never uses the information off of it. It just checks to see if it's genuine, then proceeds to download the re-packaged game from the Xbox Live servers and install to your HDD. If you own the physical copy, then it's just a key.

I say this is great news, because 99% of all Xbox 360 games playable on Xbox One are sold directly through the Xbox Live Marketplace (really only ME2 and ME3 aren't... because EA wants you to subscribe to EA Access if you don't own the discs), and Shenmue's not been available digitally before.

Erin has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
Erin
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: Duchess May
Currently playing: SW Battlefront (X1)

Postby Thief » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:23 pm

Nobody wants an Xbox One. Might as well just keep my Xbox Original if I'm gunna play Shenmue II.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby munchmunch » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:28 am

Still got all my original Xbox games so luckily I don't need to worry about buying it again.

Hope they make it BC.
munchmunch

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:58 am

still got my dreamcast and have no reason whatsoever to ever play this on any kind of xbox.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:01 am

SEGA would basically need to authorise this, no? As it's not actually using the OG Xbox disks but rather downloading a digital copy.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops. Unfortunately, it might mean no Shenmue HD if IIx does hit XBO via backwards compatibility, because it would otherwise cut into their profits if HD was coming too.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:14 pm

drunkensailor wrote: still got my dreamcast and have no reason whatsoever to ever play this on any kind of xbox.

Same. When I want to play Shenmue, I just take the Dreamcast out.

I am not a fan of Shenmue IIx at all. Personally I found the voice acting too cheesy and sluggish in places. I had no quarrels with the first games' English dub, however.

I'm hoping when the HD versions drop, we'll get the Japanese audio options and not just the English options.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Niowiad » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:49 am

Sonoshee wrote:I'm hoping when the HD versions drop, we'll get the Japanese audio options and not just the English options.

That's one of the main things, if not the biggest, I'm looking forward to, honestly.
Huge fan of original voices in movies, series and games... especially japanese voice actors tend to sound great (sometimes they actually overdo it though :mrgreen: )

As of today, given the current technolgy I would be really disappointed if they don't include the original voices in ShenmueIII and HD remasters.
Niowiad

Postby khmlight3 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:40 pm

I would rather get Shenmue I and II HD so PS4, Switch, and PC owners also get to play it!
khmlight3

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Next

Return to Shenmue II