How did they F the Xbox port so badly?

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: How did they F the Xbox port so badly?

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:39 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
sutoji wrote: Honestly WTF the Xbox version of Shenmue 2 feels so inferior to the Dreamcast version in every way Id rather it did not even exist. First of all you got the bad voice acting that could of been miles better if it hadn't been rushed so badly, they got random people instead of many professionals to take part in the voice acting now I'm not saying that Corey Marshall was bad and all but Kylo just did the most jar numbing voice over for Ren like its just laughable. Compare it to the DC voice for Ren he is intimidating like a gangster not some 11 year old boy.

This is the Xbox it was supposed to be a better version for some reason they added the most annoying bloom feature ever and it's unpleasant. The DC version was sharp as hell and it looks great in VGA, no bloom was needed it looks terrible. Third of all the cover of the game... it looks like a fighting game, Lan Di and Ryo look really different and instead of the beautiful DC art they just ruined it with that Xbox art. Ryo's jacket is darker in the xbox version, I don't know if thats really a bad thing but also his cuffs are bigger! the part next to his hands WHY????

What made them do all these changes? Did they hate Shenmue 2?

The Xbox version is the best. I've always preferred the English version over the Japanese one because they all sound exactly like they should. Also, all Chinese speaking Japanese isn't very believeable. That's why the English version is also more accurate.

please just stop trying to talk with adults. you only make yourself look even more stupid than everywhere else on this forum

Wow, it's the drunken idiot again. You never cease to amaze with your stupidity. So now, if anyone has a opinion that differs from yours, they make themselves look stupid? This goes far beyond being a drunkard, I'm afraid I have to call you the stupidsailor :lol:

I rest my case

A.k.a, you give up.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
sutoji wrote: Honestly WTF the Xbox version of Shenmue 2 feels so inferior to the Dreamcast version in every way Id rather it did not even exist. First of all you got the bad voice acting that could of been miles better if it hadn't been rushed so badly, they got random people instead of many professionals to take part in the voice acting now I'm not saying that Corey Marshall was bad and all but Kylo just did the most jar numbing voice over for Ren like its just laughable. Compare it to the DC voice for Ren he is intimidating like a gangster not some 11 year old boy.

This is the Xbox it was supposed to be a better version for some reason they added the most annoying bloom feature ever and it's unpleasant. The DC version was sharp as hell and it looks great in VGA, no bloom was needed it looks terrible. Third of all the cover of the game... it looks like a fighting game, Lan Di and Ryo look really different and instead of the beautiful DC art they just ruined it with that Xbox art. Ryo's jacket is darker in the xbox version, I don't know if thats really a bad thing but also his cuffs are bigger! the part next to his hands WHY????

The Xbox version is the best. I've always preferred the English version over the Japanese one because they all sound exactly like they should. Also, all Chinese speaking Japanese isn't very believeable. That's why the English version is also more accurate.

please just stop trying to talk with adults. you only make yourself look even more stupid than everywhere else on this forum

Wow, it's the drunken idiot again. You never cease to amaze with your stupidity. So now, if anyone has a opinion that differs from yours, they make themselves look stupid? This goes far beyond being a drunkard, I'm afraid I have to call you the stupidsailor :lol:

I rest my case

A.k.a, you give up.

OoOOOOoOoOoOoOH you just gonna take this drunkensailor?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby punkmanced » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Drunkensailor got straight up DISSED, son!
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Mystere » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:18 pm

VA aside, surely no one can disagree that on a technical level, Xbox Shenmue II was a good port. The higher-poly main character models were an improvement, and the hideous slowdown in Worker's Pier / Pigeon Park on DC was ironed out. Bloom, I personally liked it, but like VA that's a subjective thing.

IMO, the worst way to experience Shenmue II is on 360 (although it's convenient). Slowdown back in parts, bloom gone, and music issues like the Golden Qtr. BGM fading out instrument by instrument. On the plus side, it saves dragging out the big bastard original Xbox.
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Mystere wrote: On the plus side, it saves dragging out the big bastard original Xbox.

I have three of them. They just sort of throw themselves into my possession.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:

I rest my case

A.k.a, you give up.

Can you both stop arguing? At least take it to private messages or something. I see you both arguing all over the forums and it's getting annoying.

The way shenmue_legend types does make me think that he is a child or young teenager though (I mean, come on. The only thing he can think of against drunkensailor is the word 'drunk' being in his username, which he keeps bringing up) and i can imagine myself reacting in exactly the same way as drunkensailor if I was in his position.

Edit: to be clear I know that drunkensailor has acted rudely in some instances. I also disagree with some of his opinions in other threads. I'm not siding with either of them. I'm just saying that I can see myself reacting like he did.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am

Personally, I never really liked the Xbox version. In fact, there are a lot of little inferiorities in the Xbox version, as you can see here: http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/s2xboxvsdreamcast.html
I think those are in there because they didn't use the final version of the game for the Xbox port but some earlier built.

Also, I don't know how to describe it, but the colors look better and the graphics look a lot more "crisp" in the DC version.

Anyway, DC PAL version at 60 Hz is the way to go with S2 in my opinion.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: Personally, I never really liked the Xbox version. In fact, there are a lot of little inferiorities in the Xbox version, as you can see here: http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/s2xboxvsdreamcast.html
I think those are in there because they didn't use the final version of the game for the Xbox port but some earlier built.

I looked at that page and both versions have good and bad things. For example that outrun arcade machine in the dc version annoyed me.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Postby Mr.Jigen » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:49 pm

BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: Personally, I never really liked the Xbox version. In fact, there are a lot of little inferiorities in the Xbox version, as you can see here: http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/s2xboxvsdreamcast.html

I looked at that page and both versions have good and bad things. For example that outrun arcade machine in the dc version annoyed me.

OutRun seemed fine to me.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 am

Mr.Jigen wrote:
BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote:

OutRun seemed fine to me.

One side of the cabinet had a reversed texture.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Postby BlueMue » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: I think those are in there because they didn't use the final version of the game for the Xbox port but some earlier built.

That's exactly what I've been thinking for quite some time now. It sure sounds like a feasible explanation for some of the grave mistakes in design and music they made. Surely they must've gone through all the files while converting them and porting them over so things can't just be overlooked.

The worst offenders for me are the motion blur during fights, the wrong textures on the Bellwood's vending machine and how they ruined the BHW music and used the wrong tune when getting of the boat in Guilin.
Then there's the whole deal of removing parts of the enviroment in some areas, mainly in the Green Market Qr. They also simplified some textures and surfaces. A lot of transparent glass has been replaced by solid pieces of metal and just look at how flat the roof of Superior Sweets looks on the Xbox. These can't be for performance reasons with the Xbox having such an easy time with the game but maybe there were visual issues with the improved shadow system or something.

They've also been very lazy when bringing the game to the PAL region. Sure it's nice that we naturally got both version but the game is entirely in English. The DC version had the menu, help and notebook text translated into various European languages. Also no 480p support. Of course not.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Mr357
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 am

south carmain wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:

I rest my case

A.k.a, you give up.

OoOOOOoOoOoOoOH you just gonna take this drunkensailor?

drunkensailor has received a thanks from: OL
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:30 am

Also, I don't know how to describe it, but the colors look better and the graphics look a lot more "crisp" in the DC version.

dc pal version on vga you should mention. dreamcast 480p is a work of miracle.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:37 am

your link is very interesting. it seems indeed they started developping the us xbox version with a different team before the am2 team finished the dreamcast version. stuff like still portraying the soda machines in 100yen is an incredible oversight.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:No, it's actually quite amazing. When you hear Ryo speak, he sounds like a true badass and just perfect. Unlike the Japanese version, where he doesn't sound very "cool". I mean, just compare the opening sequence of Shenmue I where after Ryo has Iwao Hazuki in his arms, he shouts "nooooo" in English compared to "father" in Japanese. Hands down, the English version is clearly superior in this instance.

phpBB [video]

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: BlueCreeperBoy12
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II