December 25th

(Chapters 3-6)

December 25th

Postby SledgeHammer99 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:43 pm

Hye guys im new.Im a huge fan of Shenmue.I played the first and beat it 4 times and i havent had a chance to play the 2nd.I found one of my gifts for Xmas and its an XBOX with Shenmue 2 and some other games.From someone who played both which one was better in your opinion?
SledgeHammer99
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:56 pm

Well, congratulations on getting the shenmue II finally!!!! You'll really enjoy it if you loved shenmue 1 so much.

I guess this contains a little spoilers...not much though...I dont say what happens, just a little hint at what DOESNT. Hopefully it doesn't bother you, I dont think it will...

As for which is best...I look at them as completely different games. It's weird, because they take place right after each other, but the fell is very different. Shenmue II starts out very slowly, even slower than the first I think, so a word of advice, don't worry if you think the beginning is boring...its gets better

Im gonna kind of rate them for you here...

Best one plot wise-Shenmue II Although, as with the first, there doesn't really seem to be much progression in the series (the third one is gonna have a lot more cut scenes and stuff, because there's so many questions unanswered and one game to wrap it up)

Like in the first shenmue, it was mainly translate zhu's letter, get the mirror, and stop the mad angels. I don't want to spoil the 2nd one either, but if you stop and think there doesn't seem to be much progression. I think it focused more on charachter development, and all the new friends Ryo meets. Not saying that nothing happened...just not much that moved Ryo closer to his goal. (Excluding the last 2 hours of couse)

Graphics-i think they're the same...but still great.

Action-I think that shenmue disc 3 had a ton of fights, and shenmue II didn't seem to have that many. But it got into the action a little quicker than the first game did...plus there's new types of QTE's, and you'll hate them at first but they're actually really fun. But there are a couple of sidequest fights, and the boss(es) are fun, and difficult.

Exploration- This is where Shenmue shines over its sequel. Japan is much more interactive, much more home-like, and more interesting the China is. Just all the cool places you can go and do in shenmue are kind of taken away from the 2nd one , which is a shame. But there is still plenty to do don't worry.

So it's kind of hard to choose one over the other...shenmue's environmetns are better than II's, but shenmue II has really thick charachter development, and you meet a ton of new great people. Plus the ending really adds more to the plot..I know I said it doesn't seem like Ryo's goal of taking revenge advances much, but the ending really blows you away.

I also advise staying away from these boards till after you beat it-luckily you're new (Nice to have you, by the way) but everyone here posts spoilers without warning, most of us have beat both games. So hopefully you dont come across any spoilers, but if you stay here much longer you will.

Sorry I kind of rambled on, have a great time playing shenmue II, and welcome to the dojo!
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:58 pm

Welcome to the Dojo. :D

I prefered Shenmue 1. It had a certain feel to it that Shenmue 2 does not have, in my honest opinion. Shenmue 2 is still a great game though.
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:02 pm

shenmueI.like Ash said,it has a certain feel that shenmueII doesnt have.welcome to the dojo! :D
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby SledgeHammer99 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:10 pm

I just hope the 2nd game is somewhat like the original.The first game i got as a gift for XMAS and didnt expect much out of.What i got was the best game ive ever had.As for S3 i wish some way we could come together and fund for this game.This is a series thats just too damn good to let die.
SledgeHammer99

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:13 pm

i agree.there is a petition for shenmueIII but i forgot the link
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:15 pm

Everyone IS right about the shenmue 1 'feeling' but you can always play shenmue 1 if you miss it that much...

I think disc 4 for shenmue II really saves it from being worse than thef first.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Daemos » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:22 pm

SledgeHammer99 wrote:I just hope the 2nd game is somewhat like the original.The first game i got as a gift for XMAS and didnt expect much out of.What i got was the best game ive ever had.As for S3 i wish some way we could come together and fund for this game.This is a series thats just too damn good to let die.

We'd need one whole lot of money. :? Welcome to the forums! :D Nice second picture on your sig, by the way. :P -----------

As for me, I prefer S1 for the ambience, and S2 for action/etc.
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby SledgeHammer99 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:35 pm

Yea im gonna spend my 2 weeks off for Xmas playin this game.Im gonna sit down with my plate of Egg Foo Young some noodles and im gonna plya the hell outta this game.As for the chick in my sig and avatar thats Ms.Leeann Tweeden.Most beautiful female in the wooorldd...
SledgeHammer99

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:36 pm

nozomi and xuiying are hotter...
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SledgeHammer99 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:46 pm

lol
SledgeHammer99

Postby Daemos » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:12 pm

Not Nozomi, but if you mix Ms Leeann and Xiuying.... *drools*
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby SledgeHammer99 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:48 pm

Is there as much roaming in this game?Thats sumthin i loved about in the first.Just being able to talk to people to pass time.
SledgeHammer99

Postby Daemos » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:55 pm

Even more. The scenarios are over 10 times the size. You get to explore 2 cities (or parts of), and beautiful areas in Guilin, which has a breathtaking landscape.
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby SledgeHammer99 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:03 pm

God i cant wait for XMAS.I wanna play nooowww.
SledgeHammer99

Next

Return to Shenmue II