Shenmue II - Behind the Mic

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Shenmue II - Behind the Mic

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:14 am

Shenmue Dojo has been in contact with various voice actors from Shenmue II's English release. One voice actor in particular had a lot to say regarding the quality of the voices and just why some of them were as bad as they were. As per requested, his name will be listed as anonymous, though Shenmue Dojo can fully attest to his role in the title.

Read Shenmue II - Behind the Mic here.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue II - Behind the Mic

Postby Spokane » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:21 am

That helps explain some stuff. :lol:
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:23 am

$70 million and they couldn't even hire an old man to do some voice acting, they just had this poor sap freestyle along the way? It's comical really.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Peter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:44 am

great job on finally getting the article up! B very interesting read, it doesnt sound like the guy enjoyed himself. Explains a lot
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:21 am

Is it the old man who plays Lucky Hit?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Yama wrote:$70 million and they couldn't even hire an old man to do some voice acting, they just had this poor sap freestyle along the way? It's comical really.

45 million.

This doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, the guy described exactly what I have imagined about English voice acting sessions for Xbox's Shemmue II....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlmvhcs9JM[/youtube]
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby silversons100thaccount » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Pretty sure he's talking about the part around the 37 minute mark here where Ryo enters the warehouse with the gang members. Always thought that was a weird segment.

"At first, I and a few other guys recorded gang scenes. A group of gang members chatting. We weren't instructed to talk about anything specific. But we seemed to all chat about gang-related topics, as best we could imagine."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yygjWIc8Gf4[/youtube]

If this is how Sega treated the Xbox port of the game........:(. Makes me wonder if we'll ever seen Shenmue 3.
silversons100thaccount
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:30 pm

interesting how what he describes is exactly how i felt the voice acting became so bad. \:D/
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby we420 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:15 pm

im guessing Yu Suzuki might make shenmue 3 with english subs like yakuza
we420

PSN: silva340
XBL: we420
Currently playing: Yakuza 6/God of War

Postby Dorian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:18 pm

After what has happened in Japan, SIII is even further away. I guess we shouldn't get our hopes up, at least not this year.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Peter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:46 pm

we420 wrote:im guessing Yu Suzuki might make shenmue 3 with english subs like yakuza

This would be better. I would love an original version of Shenmue in Japanese, with English subs.

Dorian wrote:After what has happened in Japan, SIII is even further away. I guess we shouldn't get our hopes up, at least not this year.

Yea, i would say Shenmue III would be around 5 years away, and within that time Shenmue Gail will have seen a western release and quite possibly a HD version of both Shenmue and Shenmue II will have been released either as DLC or a hard DC collection. In fact, a part of me wouldnt mind waiting until 2019, and celebrate the 20th anniversary of Shenmue with its finale. I have no doubt that by 2019 we will have concluded the Shenmue story.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Very interesting read. And really what id thought had gone on aswell. The fact that they needed so many different voices made it into a quick rush job. But in that, with the budget that they should of had, they should have easily been able to cast a few old guys. Considering it seems like all the voice work was done in Japan, then I guess thats why. But it seems like they could have done abit of easy recruiting if they spent the time trying.

When I was in Japan I actually did some free lance TV work. A show and a commercial. Easy money. I dont know why they couldnt grab more authentic voices like what happened to me when I was simply grabbed off the street.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Spokane » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Axm wrote:Very interesting read. And really what id thought had gone on aswell. The fact that they needed so many different voices made it into a quick rush job. But in that, with the budget that they should of had, they should have easily been able to cast a few old guys. Considering it seems like all the voice work was done in Japan, then I guess thats why. But it seems like they could have done abit of easy recruiting if they spent the time trying.

When I was in Japan I actually did some free lance TV work. A show and a commercial. Easy money. I dont know why they couldnt grab more authentic voices like what happened to me when I was simply grabbed off the street.

:P

Could you share your freelance work with us?

I am interested now.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Schiff » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:20 am

awesome feature! Good job! =D>
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Postby mue 26 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks, Funny little read. Though I was hoping we might find out exactly what accent Toms voice actor was going for. Was he doing a Japanese-english accent? maybe an Indian -English? Really bad jamaican patois? Personally I think he was going for the accent of an Indian doing an impression of a Japanese who is doing a bad Jamaican patois. Either way the mans a genius,I would love an interview from him.
For a while I actually thought all the camp voice acting in Shenmue was deliberate artistic decision, I thought they wanted the semi camp tone, clearly I was wrong.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to News and Updates