Sega teases Shenmue HD release on XBLA/PSN

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Sega teases Shenmue HD release on XBLA/PSN

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:26 am

south carmain wrote:^ i think the reason shenmue gai hasn't made it to the west is because Yu doesn't have the money to translate it

I don't want to go completely off topic here, but I see that you've played Yakuza... what do you think of it? I've played very little of the 3rd entry on my mates PS3 (who's now moved country), but if I were to get into it I'd want to try the first 2 entries on PS2. But how close is it to Shenmue? Is it really a spiritual successor and would you recommend it?

The game that I've played that closely resembles shenmue for me is definitely l.a.noire (though it definitely lacks more of the 'real' free roaming element shenmue had, as it's a linear game in an open world environment really (which is a shame the game would have been an absolutely incredible 11/10 if you could just visit places play, eat, etc like in shenmue, though mind you I'm only half way)

As far as consoles go, I have a (1x working!) dreamcast, xbox, xbox 360 and PSP (which I rarely use for playing games if ever)

Sorry if I've gone off-topic guys :sad:
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby south carmain » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:34 am

^ I think it's one of the best games this gen, it has that same closed city feel that shenmue has and is full of mini games even more than shenmue, it's similar to shenmue in some ways and probably the closest to the shenmue experience you will get this gen but it is still pretty unique and a lot more arcade, the locations are very detailed so even though you are in a smaller location than most open world games it doesn't feel as linear, you should give it a try I absolutely loved yakuza 4, the first game i have put more than 30 hours in this gen (60 hours in all) the story alone will keep you occupied longer than most games and then you have loads of side quests and mini games to experience with, anyway if you want to know more you sould check out the yakuza thread in the sega section of the general gaming forums ;)
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:48 am

Oh man! Gonna have to get my hands on a PS3 at some point, lots of games like the Yakuza series, Uncharted series (i'm also a big Indy fan) and Heavy Rain (loved Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy/ too) perhaps in the holidays or after uni ;-)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ChaiOgawa » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:10 am

In that article about SEGA losing money and cancelling products. It did also mention that they were going to start focusing more on digitally distributed content, so Shenmue HD might not be in danger.

I'm no game expert, but I doubt it would cost them that much to give Shenmue an HD shiny polish and toss it online. Specially when they know there are so many fans out there clamoring to buy it.
ChaiOgawa
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:20 am

Would it be out of the realms of possibility for a digital Shenmue to outsell the original physical copies?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hazuki Legend » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:07 am

Peter wrote:Would it be out of the realms of possibility for a digital Shenmue to outsell the original physical copies?

Depends on how it was marketed i suppose.
Hazuki Legend
Est. 1989
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: Dan Whale 89

Postby Oppy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:15 pm

This really would be a dream come true, I imagine it would run alot smoother then the dreamcast and xbox originals, and I believe it would be a step in the right direction for the fans and for the future of Shenmue.

And I need a new way to play the shenmue games, My DC is fucked, and whenever i try ti play SIIx on 360 the game freezes, so i can only play for like 15 minutes, then i end up pulling me dick over frozen cut-scenes of joys ass with the music cutting in and out all the time..
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:26 pm

I'm sorry for being a dick but yakuza is to shenmue what resident evil 5 is to the original resident evil series.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Yakuza is a different game, is a beat them up with quests and mini games.

Shenmue is an adventure game.

The similarities are somewhat conceptual: open world set in contemporary japan, importance in martial arts and mini games.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby mue 26 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:12 pm

And I need a new way to play the shenmue games, My DC is fucked, and whenever i try ti play SIIx on 360 the game freezes, so i can only play for like 15 minutes, then i end up pulling me dick over frozen cut-scenes of joys ass with the music cutting in and out all the time

:lol:

But yeah, lets hope the release of a HD Shenmue isn't effected by Sega's apparently disastrous loses over the last year, if it is indeed in the works in the first place that is. Though, it's hardly a costly game for them to release so I can't imagine it would have been a prime game to cancel. It could, however, mean that the task of convincing Sega to make Shenmue 3 may only be ever harder now.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:40 pm

mue 26 wrote:
And I need a new way to play the shenmue games, My DC is fucked, and whenever i try ti play SIIx on 360 the game freezes, so i can only play for like 15 minutes, then i end up pulling me dick over frozen cut-scenes of joys ass with the music cutting in and out all the time

:lol:

But yeah, lets hope the release of a HD Shenmue isn't effected by Sega's apparently disastrous loses over the last year, if it is indeed in the works in the first place that is. Though, it's hardly a costly game for them to release so I can't imagine it would have been a prime game to cancel. It could, however, mean that the task of convincing Sega to make Shenmue 3 may only be ever harder now.

I just hope that Shenmue 3 wasn't already in the works (starting development around the time Yu Suzuki gave that little leak at GDC) and is now one of the games cancelled in effort to focus on their 'stronger franchises'
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:48 pm

I really, really don't think you need to worry about whether that was the case. I'd say the chances of Shenmue 3 already having being in development by Sega are far less than slim.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Marlec » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:16 am

SEGA CANCELLING GAMES,DOWNSIZING THEIR STAFF

http://meodia.com/news/1756/sega-cancel ... eir-staff/

Well i knew this was coming, Sega have been losing so much money over the years iam amazed they are not bankrupt already. Any chance of us seeing Shenmue 3 from Sega are 0% but with there losses over the years i always knew this. Only chance we would see it was if Sega sold the rights to someone else or were bought up by a publisher.

Hopefully Shenmue HD isnt affected by this & we get it soon. Once its out its out.
Marlec
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:45 am

Peter wrote:Would it be out of the realms of possibility for a digital Shenmue to outsell the original physical copies?

Yeah pretty much. Download games on PSN and Live aren't really big sellers and the ones that do make huge profit never cost that much to make in the first place. I really can't see the sales of this effecting SIII future.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 pm

IGN wrote:Will Shenmue stand the test of time?

It already does.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates