Sega teases Shenmue HD release on XBLA/PSN

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Sega teases Shenmue HD release on XBLA/PSN

Postby SheepheadCG » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:30 am

They will both be the same probably. I'm guessing that it will get a PC release at some point as well. All the dreamcast re-releases have come out on pc and according to the official Jet Set Radio HD trailer that will be coming to stream as well.
I will be insanely happy if Shenmue HD gets released on PC, I'll buy it on all 3, but I'll be able to convince all my pc gaming friends to buy it as well :P if not, I'll buy 10 copies and gift it to them on steam :D
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby DreamcastPast » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:51 pm

uchihamadarav wrote:its probably one of those love or hate moments. I thought it was awesome talking to shenhua and reflecting on everything in ryos life such as his friends family and various adventures. Definitely one of my favourite parts of the shenmue series.

The ironic thing is i always assumed shenmue 3 would have a similar atmosphere to the guiling chapter. Maybe not as restricted, but similar in many ways..... Not as open as the previous games

i think the main problem is after the action packed kowloon chapter, many people expected the same thing in guilin. However it was the completeeeeeeeeeeeeee opposite.

Absolutely agree with this post, I personally love the change in pace, it shows it's maturity as a game. But yes, this is the area that may lose the new players.

I have the same feeling that SIII will be a similar atmosphere to the Guilin cahpter, I'm pretty sure that Yu has intimated this himself at one interview... anyone know which one and has a link to it?
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Spokane » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:06 pm

I could see it being more like Shenmue 1. Not as open as the second, but not as closed as the Guilin chapter. This would be because the villages he will most likely be visiting in China are not large spiraling cities and map areas like Aberdeen,Wan Chai and Kowloon so there would not be as much walking around and as many places and things to do just like in real life.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Sailors? » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:25 pm

I'd love it if it went back to the atmosphere of Shenmue 1 but in a different setting. Although It probably wouldn't prove popular with other audiences I think a lot of members on here would appreciate it being more like Shenmue 1 than 2. I love both games but the first really has an amazing vibe to it that I still feel to this day whilst playing it.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby SheepheadCG » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm the same, I just love the first one more and I can't really put my finger on it. I think it maybe has something to do with getting to learn about/know people around Ryu. We find out about his friends and family, whereas in S2 we have Joy, Ren etc. They are still really cool characters and each bring something great to the series, but they dont compete with nozomi and tom :P
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mue 26 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:27 pm

I don't know, I love both but if I had to choose I think I would go for 2. More scope, scale, and interesting and lively characters. Shenmue 1 definitely had more of a 'quiet' feel to it and I appreciate that, in fact the feel and atmosphere of the two games are actually very different, but that's largely due to the fact of the environments being so well realized and different from one another, but it also felt natural to the journey as Ryo is in a completely different country after all. And as has just been mentioned by Sheephead, it's also partly due to fact that Ryo is all on his own in Hong Kong and has to make new friends, without having the comfort of friends and family that he had in the first game. And so by putting Ryo into a big city (and country!) all own his own, it is a very stark contrast to the first game, I can understand why some might not dig it, but for me it was that contrast to the first game that made the second one so good, it was an important progression for both the plot and characters. And at the time I played it, I had never left my country either, so I almost felt I was travelling for the first time along with with Ryo into this unknown land. Those aeroplane sequences definitely struck a cord in my 12 year old heart.

I can't really see how the third game can get that exact feel of the first game without it going back to Yokosuka, and it seems likely that (at least a portion) of the game will still be set in China. With that said, though, I don't think it will feel like the 2nd game wither, it will probably have a distinct feel of it's own.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SheepheadCG » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Yeh man, I totally agree with what you said. It would be hard to go back to the S1 feel without going back home. I love S2 so much as well, as you said the scope is just insane, I'm still finding stuff yesterday that I didn't know was in the game. Its just on another level from S1, they managed to put in so much stuff it just blows my mind for a game thats 10+ years old!

Yesterday while playing I came to the boat scene with wong and this scene is bar far my favorite in all the games, the music and the cinematic feel is something that games today do not even come close to!
1:25 onwards gets me every time!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NOq3GbL_fE[/youtube]
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:25 am

lDarkWarriorl wrote:
uchihamadarav wrote:Also Guilin is one of the greatest chapters in shenmue. But due to the way it ends...........:( :(

But it's not very "open world" like. Just walking in a straight line with the occasional choice of direction and talk talk talk for 2 hours or so. Also a few qte "lets run to get to cave before sunset" Then you get to cave and you got to collect sticks and talk talk talk all over again.

The cliffhanger is the only purpose I feel it has. But besides that, Guilin just pisses me off.

The last chapter feels like an entire different game, it's like Shenmue III demo.
Unlike most of you guys this is my favorite part of SHII mostly because of shenhua presence.
She is the true essence of what shenmue is... well, she was raised under the shenmue tree.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:47 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
lDarkWarriorl wrote:
uchihamadarav wrote:Also Guilin is one of the greatest chapters in shenmue. But due to the way it ends...........:( :(

But it's not very "open world" like. Just walking in a straight line with the occasional choice of direction and talk talk talk for 2 hours or so. Also a few qte "lets run to get to cave before sunset" Then you get to cave and you got to collect sticks and talk talk talk all over again.

The cliffhanger is the only purpose I feel it has. But besides that, Guilin just pisses me off.

The last chapter feels like an entire different game, it's like Shenmue III demo.
Unlike most of you guys this is my favorite part of SHII mostly because of shenhua presence.
She is the true essence of what shenmue is... well, she was raised under the shenmue tree.

See for me personally, I'll always feel like the true essence of Shenmue is gloomy Yokosuka and those dreams of Shen Hua.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Sailors? » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Nothing beats the vibe of Yokosuka and especially Dobuita at night time.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Sailors? wrote:Nothing beats the vibe of Yokosuka and especially Dobuita at night time.

Actually Dobuita is quite dead at night time. Yeah of course some bars that thrive during that time, but lately it's not so busy. I guess the big times of US sailors around dobuita are over now. Some Dobuita bars remind me of Tsurumi on one of these lonely wednesday nights when i'm the only customers (Together with my sweetheart). No matter how hard i try - the flair of this place in 2012 just ain't the same as in the late 80s any more. Just wish i could hang around Gaz Panic Shinjuku tonight. Maybe it would bring back the magic moments, maybe not. Does it matter in the end?
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sailors? » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:20 pm

I meant in the game... bub.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:37 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ1nV_FdhQ8[/youtube]
One does not simply press the a button during this song.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby lDarkWarriorl » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:55 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ1nV_FdhQ8[/youtube]
One does not simply press the a button during this song.

lol, i usually let her sing the whole song through as well.
lDarkWarriorl
Creator of Earth Crisis
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: TAF_Nukem
XBL: TAF Nukem
Nintendo FC: DukeNukm
Steam: DukeNukem

Postby Bluecast » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:57 pm

So it's been a month. Wouldn't have heard something by now?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates