Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby darksniper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:31 pm

I have an all or nothing opinion about tomorrow.

Three years ago at GDC, Yu Suzuki and Mark Cerny were on stage talking about Shenmue. Yu Suzuki said out of his own mouth that he thinks Sega will let him make the game. That was 3 years ago, we're back at the same place with the same people.

If no Shenmue news is announced tomorrow, this will be a bad look for ALL parties involved. This looks bad for Sega due to them missing out on extreme positive press on one of their IP's, this looks bad for Sony due to them using the Shenmue name for false publicity of their next gen console, this looks bad for Yu Suzuki for giving us an empty promise. Most importantly, this is a bad look for the fans because we don't get our game. If the worst case scenario does happen (and it very well could knowing Sega), then nobody wins.....NOBODY

I honestly feel if nothing is announced for Shenmue tomorrow, we might as well hang it up and take a L. On to Yakuza 5 and/or Megaman X9.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Ryo_Hazuki--san » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:53 pm

agree 1001%
Ryo_Hazuki--san
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:04 pm

Yep, im with sniper on this, and I feel a lot of others will be too. This event in itself is huge. Its the closest you would get to a Shenmue press confrence. After years of E3 and TGS hopes, this really does have a do or die feel for me. I will accept Hd announcements but thats not what i am really hoping for. If even HD announcements are absent, then regardless how good or informative the event is, i will be the most disappointed ive felt since the reveal that Adam Dorees article was a fake.
Tomorrow night will be the biggest here in the Dojos history. I dont know if we will get the crazy figures we got here for Shenmue Onlines announcement etc, but its very exciting none the less. Is this the eve of an official Shenmue related announcement? Or nothing, like the past 12 years Sega have put us through. The time is almost upon us. It honestly does feel like Christmas Eve to me.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:10 pm

How I'm feeling about tommorrow.

*Kenshin Himura* has received a thanks from: mue 26
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Sonikku » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:11 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch- ... 0-6418362/

Classic Game Postmortem: Shenmue

Who: Yu Suzuki | President, Ys Net (with PS4 lead architect Mark Cerny translating)
When: 2:00PM-3:00PM (12:30-2pm set up)
What: Yu Suzuki will talk for the very first time about the creation of the console classic, Shenmue. Beginning with the origin of the title as a Virtua Fighter-based RPG on the Sega Saturn, he will take the audience through the long journey of the game that led to its ultimate release in 1999 on the Sega Dreamcast. (via the GDC website)

Sony translating? COINCIDENCE?!?!

Sonikku has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby mue 26 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:17 pm

^ Not Sony. Mark Cerny.

darksniper wrote: I have an all or nothing opinion about tomorrow.

Three years ago at GDC, Yu Suzuki and Mark Cerny were on stage talking about Shenmue. Yu Suzuki said out of his own mouth that he thinks Sega will let him make the game. That was 3 years ago, we're back at the same place with the same people.

If no Shenmue news is announced tomorrow, this will be a bad look for ALL parties involved. This looks bad for Sega due to them missing out on extreme positive press on one of their IP's, this looks bad for Sony due to them using the Shenmue name for false publicity of their next gen console, this looks bad for Yu Suzuki for giving us an empty promise. Most importantly, this is a bad look for the fans because we don't get our game. If the worst case scenario does happen (and it very well could knowing Sega), then nobody wins.....NOBODY

I honestly feel if nothing is announced for Shenmue tomorrow, we might as well hang it up and take a L. On to Yakuza 5 and/or Megaman X9.

Yu hasn't promised a damn thing other than to show up tomorrow and provide insight into the creation of Shenmue. And Sony have hardly used Shenmue's name for publicity. Stop being so ridiculous. GDC contracted Yu and Mark to provide a postmortem on the game. As it's currently being advertised, this has nothing to do with Sega or Sony. And why have you waited all these years for tomorrow to be a "now or never", seriously why? There might be deals underway that have not been finalized yet, or maybe there has been one but it's still too early to announce. I feel like we are finally making some headway with our campaign (our last tweetathon was a huge success and almost off the richter scale), and now people are potentially ready to throw all that away because they won't be able to cope with the minor setback of no game announcement tomorrow.
Last edited by mue 26 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:21 pm

I agree with darksniper. This is our last chance.

Was Sega's approval needed for the postmortem to happen? I wouldn't think so apart from providing and allowing the use of game material, art, etc. I just can't see them giving the OK if they know it would be yet another blow to the fans. It seemed like up until Ryo being in Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing they took a "Shen-who?" stance where they just avoided any publicity. Now they don't seem to be as tight-lipped. I just want some sort of closure about the future of the series.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:47 pm

I will stick a Dreamcast controller up my butt and post the video if Shenmue III is announced tomorrow.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yama » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: I will stick a Dreamcast controller up my butt and post the video if Shenmue III is announced tomorrow.

Noted.

Yama has received 3 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Axm, Yokosuka Martian
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Peter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:11 pm

mue 26 wrote: ^ Not Sony. Mark Cerny.

darksniper wrote: I have an all or nothing opinion about tomorrow.

Yu hasn't promised a damn thing other than to show up tomorrow and provide insight into the creation of Shenmue. And Sony have hardly used Shenmue's name for publicity. Stop being so ridiculous. GDC contracted Yu and Mark to provide a postmortem on the game. As it's currently being advertised, this has nothing to do with Sega or Sony. And why have you waited all these years for tomorrow to be a "now or never", seriously why? There might be deals underway that have not been finalized yet, or maybe there has been one but it's still too early to announce. I feel like we are finally making some headway with our campaign (our last tweetathon was a huge success and almost off the richter scale), and now people are potentially ready to throw all that away because they won't be able to cope with the minor setback of no game announcement tomorrow.

But surely you want an announcement too, and of course are sick of waiting no? I mean you don't want to campaign forever right. All he means is he would like an announcement of some kind because if not, the probability and past suggests there will be lots more silence and ignorance with the franchise.
Who wants that eh, we all want Shenmue 3 and if its announced then there will be no more need to campaign. Of course thats what the campaign is all about right? We all want Shenmue 3 and no more campaigning.

Right?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby mue 26 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:19 pm

Of course I want and hope for an announcement, that goes without saying! My point is that this should not be seen as a "now or never moment". If it does come, bloody excellent, but if not, that is no reason to abandon all hope and give up forever. There is still much cause for hope, even if tomorrow doesn't turn out to be the day we are all waiting for. We need to keep the pressure up as we have been! This lays it all out far more eloquently than I can, please read!: https://www.facebook.com/TeamYu/posts/779484435396931
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sailors? » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:32 pm

Thinking about it I'm not really sure what aspects of development are going to be discussed that haven't been already. Looking forward to seeing what happens though.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby ys » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:39 pm

So, who's nervous with excitement in here? Any butterflies in the stomach? Drafts for bomb threat mails saved?

Lan Di-sama wrote: I will stick a Dreamcast controller up my butt and post the video if Shenmue III is announced tomorrow.

With or without memory cards and VMU in the slots?
Pro tip : keep an eye on the cord if you don't want to provide the proctologist with another funny anecdote.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ShenSun » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:40 pm

ive said this over at neogaf and i think on here a few times. But, if there was a Shenmue related announcement in the works, wouldn't it make sense to make it public at E3? That way Sony could take the spotlight from MS and Nintendo etc.

I wouldn't count on an announcement tomorrow. At the very least, I hope we get a tease.

Either way, Cant wait for the event.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby The You » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:03 pm

I agree, the GDC just doesn't seem like the place for an announcement like that. I hope I'm wrong. However, you can be damn sure the "3" question is going to be asked at one point & it will be interesting to see what the response is. I think the best we can hope for tomorrow is some kind of restrained tease or maybe even a cheeky grin.
The You
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates