Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby darksniper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:29 pm

mue 26 wrote: Of course I want and hope for an announcement, that goes without saying! My point is that this should not be seen as a "now or never moment". If it does come, bloody excellent, but if not, that is no reason to abandon all hope and give up forever. There is still much cause for hope, even if tomorrow doesn't turn out to be the day we are all waiting for. We need to keep the pressure up as we have been! This lays it all out far more eloquently than I can, please read!: https://www.facebook.com/TeamYu/posts/779484435396931

I think you and I both come from different sides of the spectrum, but with the same intent. You're more optimistic about the worst case scenario as I am more pessimistic admittedly. It really doesn't matter. Because at the end of the day, we all have the same goal. Shenmue III. :)

I appreciate the hard work and pressure that you guys have been doing with this campaign. If this didn't happen, the awareness of the Shenmue IP would not have GROWN over the years instead of diminished like Sega intended. If there is no announcement of any sorts, I think there should be parties held accountable for mismanagement of a perfect opportunity for mainstream press(mainly Sega).

The point I'm trying to make is that we've already waited nearly 15 years for a Shenmue III. We should NOT let it get to 20.

Throughout all of the BS rumors and hype that has surrounded Shenmue III in the last 10 years, the most promising news I heard was

"I think Sega will let me make the game" -Yu Suzuki

I honestly don't feel like I'm at fault for putting a lot of weight into those words. Hopefully we will see some results out of that statement. Can't wait for tomorrow.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:54 pm

If anyone feels like giving up when/if there is no announcement just remember that you are letting Sega win. That is exactly what they want. Sega wants you to roll over, die, and forget about Shenmue so they can focus on more tremendous sonic titles.

ShOzO MiZuKi has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Axm
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Surge101 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:57 pm

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: If anyone feels like giving up when/if there is no announcement just remember that you are letting Sega win. That is exactly what they want. Sega wants you to roll over, die, and forget about Shenmue so they can focus on more tremendous sonic titles.

The issue is I just don't think I could ever get excited/hopeful for shenmue again if this isn't it. We've had hopes in the past not come to anything, but this has had so many hints that this is it. This is definitely the most hopeful/confident that I have been for a shenmue announcement. If it doesn't happen now, I just feel like I would shrug any sign in the future.
Surge101
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenSun » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:05 pm

Wait at least until E3 or TGS before losing complete hope
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:06 pm

ys wrote: So, who's nervous with excitement in here? Any butterflies in the stomach? Drafts for bomb threat mails saved?

Lan Di-sama wrote: I will stick a Dreamcast controller up my butt and post the video if Shenmue III is announced tomorrow.

With or without memory cards and VMU in the slots?
Pro tip : keep an eye on the cord if you don't want to provide the proctologist with another funny anecdote.

I'll take a VMU in one slot, but only if a game of "Chao Adventure" is running. Rumble pak in the other slot.

I'm looking at the event this way: If I manage to stream this as it happens while I'm busing home from work, and I'm entertained by an hour of information that I've not heard all of before, I'll consider it a success. Worst case, it's just Suzuki repeating what has already been said before over the years.

If anything, a positive affirmation when (if) asked about Shenmue III would be great (i.e., a frazzled looking Suzuki shaking his head yes, saying "maybe" with an uncomfortable smile) . But this doesn't seem like the type of event that would yield a surprise unveiling. In fact, if the game was to be announced as a total surprise, then Sega (or whoever) should tease something obvious to get more heads turned as it actually happens and not after the fact.

My optimism for Shenmue III fluctuates, but usually when I try to think about the situation as logically as I can, I come to an unfortunate conclusion. That being said, I am making it a point to try to tune into this live stream, because as long as the possibility exists it will certainly be on the back of my mind.

Prepare for disappointment, hope for the best.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Snakiest » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:16 pm

I'll only lose help when Yu departs to meet his ancestors!
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Peter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:36 pm

Some of us have thought that's what it may take to actually make another game. Someone to pay tribute to You by finishing his work.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:
ys wrote:
Lan Di-sama wrote: I will stick a Dreamcast controller up my butt and post the video if Shenmue III is announced tomorrow.

With or without memory cards and VMU in the slots?
Pro tip : keep an eye on the cord if you don't want to provide the proctologist with another funny anecdote.

I'll take a VMU in one slot, but only if a game of "Chao Adventure" is running. Rumble pak in the other slot.

Deal. I totally forgot about the Rumble Pak actually.

About tomorrow, I don't expect anything special actually. But I will certainly watch just because it's about Shenmue after all. And it's great that Gamespot is actually streaming this.
Some kind of announcement, even HD-versions would be great of course. But more modestly, I hope that he will at least reveal things about the game or development that are unknown to fans like us.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 pm

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: If anyone feels like giving up when/if there is no announcement just remember that you are letting Sega win. That is exactly what they want. Sega wants you to roll over, die, and forget about Shenmue so they can focus on more tremendous sonic titles.

That's why I haven't bought a sega game in a decade. If they don't want to support something the fans want I don't feel like supporting them. I know it's a cycle and they need money to make the game but that's how I see it. They've done nothing but snub us since after 2 was released and now it's time for them to set things right.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 pm

Suzuki San at GDC 2014. Smiling like that....... Could be an announcement? ;)

Peter has received a thanks from: Axm
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Smiling in front of a Sega Dreamcast Swirl
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Axm » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:44 pm

Suzuki is ready to drop the megaton on us! Haha! .. ah.. ah.... He's hiding something in that jacket! Thats why its so puffy. And those glasses.. he needs them to read the massive list of new gameplay features and additions they are working on.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Latin King, Yokosuka Martian
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates