Yu Suzuki at Gamelab 2014 (Information & Multimedia)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki at Gamelab 2014 (Information & Multimedia)

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:50 am

I'm the only one that thinks Yu isn't really looking forward Shenmue ?

It's like, he has to respond with something, but it's been a year (maybe two ?) that he's saying he's "looking into" crowdfounding. WTF is that ?? WTF does that mean ?? Are you making a little teaser ?? Talking to SEGA about rights ?? Making a team ?? Making a budget ??

He doesn't even know much about Shenmue even, he gave weird details (9, 11 or 16 chapters) ?? Doesn't know much about names and stuff, he doesn't sound like a guy that is trying to make things happen, he's more like a guy that's trying to get some media by making comments.

He even talked about having other proyects that seem less "in the limbo", but we don't hear much about those either. Since the "I think SEGA will let me do it" there has been always the same lame responses.

I don't think he's just out of Shenmue, I think he's out of videogame developing, they gave him an office with a view and he's acting like the old man that doesn't want to be a retired person.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:40 am

A collection of images (found on Twitter) from Yu Suzuki's visit at Gamelab 2014: http://imgur.com/a/boQOm

Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby japalp » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:17 am

The first quote in that picture album is the best quote to come out of this show (if it indeed was a recent quote).
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:19 am

japalp wrote: The first quote in that picture album is the best quote to come out of this show (if it indeed was a recent quote).

Actually, it's not directly from Gamelab's conference, but from Yu Suzuki's interview with El Mundo (while in Barcelona), which is a recent one.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby tomboz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:19 pm

ChristopherZero wrote:
tomboz wrote:I think people are being a little unrealistic about the likelihood of a crowd-funding campaign being successful. There's probably no more than 1000 people who care enough about future Shenmue releases to donate and I'd be surprised if the average donation would be higher than £20.

I kinda have to disagree, if something like The Ouya or the rift could use 2 to 8 million,and that had over 64,000 people I believe there is ton of people who would donate a lot to finish this game, and you still have those random funders I could see them easily making 10 million. I know that's no where need the money but it would help a lot, towards the little things

Comparing a 15 year old franchise that it is widely viewed as one of the biggest commercial failures in gaming since the Virtual Boy to two of the most innovative and game-changing bits of technology in gaming since... well - the Virtual Boy, I suppose - seems a little obtuse.

Unless there's a few deep-pocketed celebrity Shenmue fans out there I can't see 10 million being anything less than wishful thinking!
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:00 pm

If they did a kickstarter and it failed miserably then we would unequivocally have our answer about whether a third game would be made. Our community was small, just really really loud.

And Shenmue may have been a commercial failure but not when put into perspective. If it were a commercial failure the fact that it was released on the Dreamcast would have to be taken into account. I think on PS2 it would have done fine.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:13 pm

This is fucking Shenmue we are talking about. People and the whole fucking internet would lose their nuts if there was really a Shenmue Kickstarter. It would be total madness. Just sit there and think about it for a minute. And anyway, the whole in-conjuncture with a publisher angle is a really good one.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby tomboz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:56 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote: And Shenmue may have been a commercial failure but not when put into perspective. If it were a commercial failure the fact that it was released on the Dreamcast would have to be taken into account. I think on PS2 it would have done fine.

I posted a month or so ago making this exact point; but that doesn't change the fact that 99.9% of people think that Shenmue was a commercial failure. Unfortunately that's the pivotal thing here.

I'd love to see Shenmue 3 but a failed Kickstarter would be the final nail in the coffin.
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 pm

tomboz wrote:
elfshadowreaper wrote: And Shenmue may have been a commercial failure but not when put into perspective. If it were a commercial failure the fact that it was released on the Dreamcast would have to be taken into account. I think on PS2 it would have done fine.

I posted a month or so ago making this exact point; but that doesn't change the fact that 99.9% of people think that Shenmue was a commercial failure. Unfortunately that's the pivotal thing here.

I'd love to see Shenmue 3 but a failed Kickstarter would be the final nail in the coffin.

It wouldnt fail. Shenmue was and is still adored by many people out there outside of this forum. The amount of money us hardcore faithfull would donate would pale in comparisson to all the other less vocal fans who still want to see more games.
People underestimate the popularity of this series alot.
Id be willing to bet a hundred bucks on a sucessfull kickstarter on top of the 5 thousand im willing to donate.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Soleil rouge
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby darksniper » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Shenmue doesn't even need a kickstarter. Sega has more than enough money to make the game, they simply choose not to.

darksniper has received a thanks from: Axm
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:23 pm

darksniper wrote:Shenmue doesn't even need a kickstarter. Sega has more than enough money to make the game, they simply choose not to.

This is true, but because its true that means we are stuck in the same position we've always been in. Thats why Yu would be willing to take the rights for development with his own studio(which is ofcourse not a part of Sega) and/or co-develop with another after ofcourse finding no Publishers to fund the project, instead, run a kick starter. Thats why Yu is considering it.
Its a solution that makes sense after all his options run out with publishers.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:40 pm

Suzuki's development studio is nowhere near big enough for a project like Shenmue 3 (there's only like a few of them there, and their only output has been phone games). He'd have to get SEGA to hire development out to various external studios, no doubt, since it's pretty obvious that SEGA internally don't want to do it or have other projects they are working on. So it's basically the cost of paying whatever external studios would develop the game.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Supa » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:37 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: It's not even a case of getting refunded, money's only taken out if and when it hits/exceeds it's goal. Personally though, I don't want them to jump straight into Shenmue III. At this point, not even HD remakes make sense. It has to be a reboot if everyone wants to see it succeed. If all that's wanted is the games themselves for closure, then so be it, but I want to see Shenmue become a fully-fledged franchise.

Then again I'm possibly the only person on the planet that was gutted Shenmue Online fizzled out.

I would've loved to play Shenmue with all of you. The dream would to be to have the entire single player Shenmue story just as Yu imagined it back in 1994-1998, and then Shenmue Online as a side project. Would've been awesome. And after JCE stepped out of the picture, Shenmue Online started looking much better.

Plus, they were saying at the time that after the Asian beta test, they were going to start looking at releasing it in Japan and the west.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:55 am

Axm wrote:People underestimate the popularity of this series alot.

I think it's the other way around, Shenmue fans overestimate the popularity. I study videogame programming in a group of 20 no one has played shenmue, and not even professors (they just know it was a really innovative game, and appears from time to time in the powerpoints).

People KNOW about shenmue because we are a vocal crowd, most people haven't even played shenmue. Even at the time shenmue was a love/hate game.

Let's not create this ecochamber of thinking about shenmue like the most requested game in all history and revered as the best game ever made, it's not. We just yell louder (as a lot of little communities do).

shredingskin has received a thanks from: tomboz
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Axm » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:02 am

shredingskin wrote:
Axm wrote:People underestimate the popularity of this series alot.

I think it's the other way around, Shenmue fans overestimate the popularity. I study videogame programming in a group of 20 no one has played shenmue, and not even professors (they just know it was a really innovative game, and appears from time to time in the powerpoints).

People KNOW about shenmue because we are a vocal crowd, most people haven't even played shenmue. Even at the time shenmue was a love/hate game.

Let's not create this ecochamber of thinking about shenmue like the most requested game in all history and revered as the best game ever made, it's not. We just yell louder (as a lot of little communities do).

I never said it was even close to being the most requested game of all time, but in my experience online and definitely IRL, i've spoken with many people that have playn the game(s). I've worked in the industry myself in game stores and for a year with Sony in San Diego. The series has a large reach and yes while many were critical of it, ive found alot more of the people that actually played the games to be positive about it and want to see a revival.

But trust me I know its nowhere near the level of popularity like MGS, Mass Effect etc. However, as a huge fan that I am I have tested every competent gamer ive come across in life with Shenmue knowledge and have a pretty good perspective on the situation. Atleast where im from and where ive been, its a pretty popular "throw back" game that gets brought up often enough to warrent my belief something like a kickstarter would be successful.

The proof enough that this is a popular series still can be seen in the monthly tweets. We have a ton of successful outreach in just social networking. Imagine if we had Kotaku, IGN, GS etc running news on a Shenmue kickstarter. I reckon it would be a big deal.

One persons opinions and experience vs anothers but ive been attentive to the series since its conception and not just blowing smoke as im sure you're not either.. but for a kickstarter to be successful we would need a goal to base it off of. So until then this is all conjecture anyways. I'm just more positive about it.

Henry Spencer wrote:Suzuki's development studio is nowhere near big enough for a project like Shenmue 3 (there's only like a few of them there, and their only output has been phone games). He'd have to get SEGA to hire development out to various external studios, no doubt, since it's pretty obvious that SEGA internally don't want to do it or have other projects they are working on. So it's basically the cost of paying whatever external studios would develop the game.

He would definitely need to hire on more people and have it co-developed or have it entirely developed somewhere else with him at the helm. Hopefully not at Sega.
No doubt its an ordeal to get started properly. But also entirely possible and worth it financially imo.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates