Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Postby bikingjehuty » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:45 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:
spinksy wrote: Let's all be honest even with all our big donations if they release a physical copy in future we'll all buy it again anyway lol

once the kick-starter is finished they need to keep a donation button up somewhere, look at how much Star Citizen raked in afterwards.

They should also plan some additional merchandise separate from the game itself which they could make a profit on, I went all in on the $500 so there isn't much I could do further to donate towards the game, but if they announce some Shenmue related merch separate from the kickstarter pledges, I'll probably dive in and spend more.. as would others... more profit, more funding.. more Shenmue 3 :D

i am also really hoping that sometime during the campaign they add more funding tiers between $500 and $10k. I can throw as much as $1000 at this project (have already thrown $520 at it), and might end up doing that anyways, but it would be nice to have an incentive at $1000 as well. I'm sure there are hundreds of backers that would increase their pledges if they created more tiers. Also, they should add at least 3 or 4 more 10k Yu Suzuki dinner tiers. I'm sure those would be bought up fairly quickly.
bikingjehuty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby InsanityIsCrazy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:47 am

Gen wrote: I'm actually very happy that we will get japanese voices and Masaya Matsukaze, the original voice of Ryo. To be honest the english dub for Shenmue and Shenmue II was absolutely terrible even for the standards of the time and frankly I think the voice-acting wasn't worthy of a game of Shenmue's caliber. Sure, Corey marshall as Ryo is nostalgic and has a certain humorous charm but most of the time he sounded like an emotionless robot. I would rather see they used the money on other content in the game, but if they chose to include english voices I hope they get a whole new cast, with good voice-actors that can also be appreciated by a modern audience and not just nostalgic fans.

I hope they get Corey back if they do English VAs. Not really for Nostalgia, but because nobody can quite say "I see..." like Corey.
InsanityIsCrazy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: InsanityIsCrazy
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some Gizmo

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:49 am

The option to have either or would definitely be a nice touch. But damn, that ultra-campy, robotic rhetoric, just offered so much fun, for me personally. I loved it. Thought then, and continue to think now, that it gave the game an extra layer of charm. Not unlike terrible B, C, and D Horror movies. :lol: But I'm just one of those people, I suppose. Give me some Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. . . anything from Troma Entertainment. :rotflmao:
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:53 am

Part of the bad voice acting in Shenmue has to do with japanese guys directing it, not the actors.

I would not mind a japanese only va.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:58 am

InsanityIsCrazy wrote:I hope they get Corey back if they do English VAs. Not really for Nostalgia, but because nobody can quite say "I see..." like Corey.

Um....excuse me...

A black car...?

Where's Terry!?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby InsanityIsCrazy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:06 am

Ahh, good.
InsanityIsCrazy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:12 am

let's get sweaty
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby JohnBlack » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:43 am

Campaigin goes pretty well now.
JohnBlack
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Deta » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:01 am

You cant emphasize the need of excellent promotion enough on this project. Promotion is in key role to make this project succeed. How will they promote and manage to capture new players to play the game without playing the first two. Even if there will be a short movie. Will that be enough and how else they would sell the game for the newcomers. The promotion team is getting huge opportunity to show what they are capable to do. This was one of the biggest reasons along the ps2 why Shenmue started to stumble so early on the road.
Deta

Postby Gen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:03 am

Deta wrote: You cant emphasize the need of excellent promotion enough on this project. Promotion is in key role to make this project succeed. How will they promote and manage to capture new players to play the game without playing the first two. Even if there will be a short movie. Will that be enough and how else they would sell the game for the newcomers. The promotion team is getting huge opportunity to show what they are capable to do. This was one of the biggest reasons along the ps2 why Shenmue started to stumble so early on the road.

I agree. I think Sony is also a key to this and I hope they'll help alot with the marketing.
Gen

Postby InsanityIsCrazy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:05 am

Deta wrote: You cant emphasize the need of excellent promotion enough on this project. Promotion is in key role to make this project succeed. How will they promote and manage to capture new players to play the game without playing the first two. Even if there will be a short movie. Will that be enough and how else they would sell the game for the newcomers. The promotion team is getting huge opportunity to show what they are capable to do. This was one of the biggest reasons along the ps2 why Shenmue started to stumble so early on the road.

If that video in the kickstarter is their only advertising, they're gonna have some trouble. They need new content. Maybe take the assets in that vid and show more of the environment
InsanityIsCrazy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby elmatto » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:39 am

InsanityIsCrazy wrote:
Gen wrote: I'm actually very happy that we will get japanese voices and Masaya Matsukaze, the original voice of Ryo. To be honest the english dub for Shenmue and Shenmue II was absolutely terrible even for the standards of the time and frankly I think the voice-acting wasn't worthy of a game of Shenmue's caliber. Sure, Corey marshall as Ryo is nostalgic and has a certain humorous charm but most of the time he sounded like an emotionless robot. I would rather see they used the money on other content in the game, but if they chose to include english voices I hope they get a whole new cast, with good voice-actors that can also be appreciated by a modern audience and not just nostalgic fans.

I hope they get Corey back if they do English VAs. Not really for Nostalgia, but because nobody can quite say "I see..." like Corey.

I was always partial to him throwing stuff down during checkout and saying 'THIS'.
elmatto

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:08 pm

4k from the Rapport System goal. So that's great news. In fact it appears to have spiked around the 185k mark. I havent been able to follow closely today but I think it pulled 10k in 30 minutes from 185k to 195k =D>

All-in-all, trolls aside, this is an extremely strong showing. Making the rounds, spreading the word. Shenmue is on a lot of peoples lips. And considering Fallout 4, Halo, Gears, FFVII, Horizon, and all those other hugely popular AAA titles were announced, that's very impressive.
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Chaikilla » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:25 pm

I had a dream that the kickstarter was at 7 million with 30 seconds left and Sony donated 33 mil to make it a square 40.

Then I woke up. :/

Chaikilla has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
Chaikilla

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:31 pm

last hour was good :) 14k :) thanks whoever that was! :D should hit 3.2 million milestone in the next 10 minutes.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates