[COMPLETE] Thanks System

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

[COMPLETE] Thanks System

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:46 am

Just going over what I said in the other topic that it should be replaced with the post count. The whole karma system turns a forum into a whos the coolist kid in school contest.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Thanks System

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:47 am

Agreed. Not in protest of it, but I will never use it. I frequent a forum which uses it now and have never used it.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:55 am

Was hoping someone would make the topic, wanted to at least give my reasoning. If nobody likes it, we can always change. But try and hear me out please.

Having done this with a few other sites, I'm starting to see how it works. Especially within a tight-knit community, you have a batch of regulars who already know eachother. Within this group there is no popularity. Most of the time new members are put off by seeing huge post counts and feel 'behind.' To make up for this, their going to try and post... a lot. This is not what I want the direction of the site to be in any way. I want it to be Shenmue centered information and discussion, good discussion. While we don't use karma to rank users, the 'thanks' system is just what it is, a level of thanks for good effort. This will encourage new users to post good findings, not spam. It is a discrete way of giving some love back for good work, in no way is it based on popularity (as long as it's not abused, obviously). There are still ranks and they go by post counts and time active, so there is a trade off. They too are very discrete and more for fun, but if you compare the titles there is quite a gap between some ranks, haha. The end point is to make everyone feel equal, comfortable and at home. To encourage participation.

Now, if anyone abuses this or turns it into a popularity contest, they have no place here. I'm an easy going person, very fair (ask any members on my other wbsites), and leave full trust in my moderation team. However if someone wants to tarnish the efforts we've put forth as a community, they simply need not be here. I will enforce that the system is used correctly and doesn't turn into any of your worries.

So with that, I'd appreciate it if you all gave it an honest chance. Nothing is set in stone, but let's play it out for a little while. Thanks!

Agreed. Not in protest of it, but I will never use it. I frequent a forum which uses it now and have never used it.

I ask that you try, this time. When someone like LanDC rips apart the game and finds off the wall findings, I think he deserves a little 'thanks', no? If used correctly, we can make it a cohesive system and part of our community.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:05 pm

Yama wrote:

I ask that you try, this time. When someone like LanDC rips apart the game and finds off the wall findings, I think he deserves a little 'thanks', no? If used correctly, we can make it a cohesive system and part of our community.

Can't answer for LanDC but if it was me, I'd prefer actual 'thanks' from members from posts they make than a small digit on the right of the screen. But I'm sure the two will co-exist just fine..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:16 pm

^Yeah most people say thank anyway. With post counts and the date someone joined I think it just helps people understand how long people have been here and how much of a regular they are.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby LawXiu » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:21 pm

I just think this system is a touch childish to be honest. Not something I'll be using.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:27 pm

LawXiu wrote:I just think this system is a touch childish to be honest. Not something I'll be using.

Pretty much this.
I won't be using it.

All for the non post count though.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm for the post count but only if the joined date is there. It just shows who has been here for a long time and is a regular.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:34 pm

I'm with Riku. If you're someone like Kenny or Ryudo who's been here for years with 3000 posts, why would you not want people to know? I don't understand why they don't like it, personally. I'm quite pleased with my record here.. Clint once said he casually browses the Dojo in his freetime and over the years he's been here he got 5000 posts! What's not to like about it?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:36 pm

It can easily be removed and may be if this is the general response to it. I still say let's just give it a shot and if anything, I remove it. We have a great moderation team, we can definitely keep up if anyone is abusing it. I only want to help improve post quality, for that I'm asking for your support.

As for the post counts, they are in the profile. Join dates and actual post quality will speak for itself. Not having a huge number next to your name will not make new users (some, not all) feel the need to catch up. A join date however is more representative to your time here, or veteran status.

If you notice, I'm trying to make everything more 'new-user' friendly. I want the community to come together. Veterans of the Dojo all know eachother, what we want is more like minded individuals signing up and enjoying their stay. And if we do get some news, within a re-release or sequel, we will have a ton of new members.

Also, I'd like for it to be a mature representation on the Shenmue franchise. One that Sega themselves can look at and feel positive about, not have the typical internet mentality.

Ryudo who's been here for years with 3000 posts

They will still know he's been here for years. And obviously Ryudo doesn't mind, he himself is for 'no counts'. :P

Think not so much about 'how we feel about ourselves' but the actual quality of new members joining and how they see the site from the outside. We all already know eachother and have nothing to prove.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm with Yama on the post count.

Posts counts.......we dun't need no stinkin post count....
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:45 pm

^I see yours went back to 13000.

I think the join date alone doesn't do it. You get lot's of people who have been around since 2004 and only posted 50 times. I wouldn't call them a regular but just looking at the join date would make me think that. The whole catching up thing is a bit pathetic no one needs to catch up with anyone. I for one won't be changing my post quality just to get a thumps up. My posts are usally shit and I'm the first to admit I'm one of the most unintresting members here when it comes to post. I'm never good at getting my point across and sometimes change a whole sentance because of my dyslexia. I always liked the dojo as a place where people say what they liked and not get judged but maybe bring up a good little debate.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:51 pm

You will always be Dickbutt to me Riku.

Now where is that facepalm fucking damnit!?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Yama » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Nobody is judging you. If someone throws you a thanks for something they enjoyed, then they do so. If not, not.

I think the join date alone doesn't do it.

Doesn't do what? Allow new members to "judge" and see who is a veteran? The point is, nobody should care. Prime Shenmue discussion, that is what the site is about. Whoever does it should make this their home.

Don't overthink it. :lol:
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Axm » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Whats a post count though guys? Its just a number. Most of us here are in the thousands. But does that really make us better members?

I think this kind of an incentive to be a good member.
And remember, theirs always lots of members who will go into a thread, see something great and instead of simply posting thanks like the other hundred members before him he simply wont post at all. But in his mind he is deffinitely thankfull. I think this is just a really quick and easy way for people to recognize others.

Sure if it doesnt work out well than we can change it. So for now I think we should give it a shot.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue Dojo