New Dojo Forums

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

New Dojo Forums

Postby Hazuki Legend » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:58 am

So what do you guys think? Personally i like it, this place has needed a facelift for a while now and hopefully we can get a few more people posting again not to mention some more new members that might hang about. Dunno who done the re-design but they get a thumbs up from me.
Hazuki Legend
Est. 1989
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: Dan Whale 89

Re: New Dojo Forums

Postby Spokane » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 pm

First post back for me........

And I like it a lot, but will take some time to get used to for sure.

Good to be back, and be back with a fresh coat of paint. \:D/
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Sailors? » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 pm

I've just come back off holiday and have no idea what's going on, unsure whether or not I like it yet.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:40 pm

This is all looking great. I'm liking it! The new site, the forum layout. Everything is quick, clean and very pretty. Just wish SEGA put this much effort into Shenmue. :rotflmao:
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Yama » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:16 pm

Hazuki Legend wrote:So what do you guys think? Personally i like it, this place has needed a facelift for a while now and hopefully we can get a few more people posting again not to mention some more new members that might hang about. Dunno who done the re-design but they get a thumbs up from me.

That would be me, Hellraiser has passed on the site though will continue to contribute to it. Happy you are enjoying it.

Thanks everyone!
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby OL » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:22 pm

Some of the features are improved, but I do have a few criticisms (though they'll likely be ignored; you bastards):

1.) Forums with new posts no longer flash, their icon is just a different color. This makes it a little more difficult to immediately discern which forums to go into (a trifling concern, but it's worth mentioning).

2.) Avatars are on the opposite side of the page than they used to be, and they're too small. One thing I always liked about this place is that we were allowed to make our avatars kind of large and prominent (in contrast to other forums, where it always seemed like they were too small and unnoticeable).
Now it's like member identity is being downplayed. And being that I don't really dabble much in image editing programs, it's more difficult for me to make these tiny little images that we have now, rather than the large ones from before.
Plus, I can't see Rihanna as well in Kenny's avatar. And that's just unacceptable.

3.) It's a little strange that post count is no longer displayed. Not that it was all that important, but it still had its uses. I accepted Oppy, for example, as a valuable member much more quickly because he was a new guy (based on his post count), but he wasn't a moron at all, as newbies so often seem to be.

4.) And I absolutely hate this whole "thanks" system. We may as well have a Gametrailers-style "thumbs up/down" system. Just terrible. I can't imagine many cases where I'll "thank" someone for their post, nor can I figure when anyone would thank me for mine.
The forum is about expression of opinions. If I want to "thank" someone for something, I'll use words.
Having a "thank" system is almost as bad as the numbered ratings reviewers put in their game reviews. A game might be entirely passed off on because someone saw a 6/10, rather than reading the why of it all. Just the same, someone may pass over certain peoples' posts just because they haven't been "thanked" as much, and thus are probably "less important" members.
Doesn't seem right to me.

There might be other stuff, but that's the size of it so far.
I'm mostly just irked about the avatars in particular.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:27 pm

OL wrote:I'm mostly just irked about the avatars in particular.

Nothing to be irked about, this isn't the Shenmue series that takes years to do anything. This is the new Dojo. For the most part, let me know of what you (and obviously the majority of people) feel and you'll see change.

But if all the concerns lie within some phpbb3 code, I'm pretty damn pleased. Haha.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby OL » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Oh, and don't take offense to any criticisms I have (just edited my last post with something that might seem a little mean).
Overall, I really like the look of the revamp. It's just some of the details I'm not keen on.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sailors? » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:34 pm

You've done a great job, I think people just don't like change(me included). I agree with most about the avatars both position and size, also I liked the custom titles Ryudo gave to the Forums.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Spokane » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:36 pm

I thanked you OL, because you brought up some good points I agree with, that's why.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Sailors? wrote:You've done a great job, I think people just don't like change(me included). I agree with most about the avatars both position and size, also I liked the custom titles Ryudo gave to the Forums.

Not just the forums but each member as well.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Yukupo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Looking good. 8)
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Sailors? wrote:You've done a great job, I think people just don't like change(me included). I agree with most about the avatars both position and size, also I liked the custom titles Ryudo gave to the Forums.

Not just the forums but each member as well.

Your default title suits you haha!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:33 pm

Wha, so this is the new dojo? phew I thought it was gone forever there for a while, hmm and its looking rather sexy as well now if I do say so, nice job! Next time just dont play with my emotions and leave me in the dark!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Chaos » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:27 pm

Looks awesome yama. I think I'll start posting here again for the first time in who knows how long.

Edit: Quick question. Do you think you'd be willing to add this to the forum? http://www.tapatalk.com/
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Next

Return to Shenmue Dojo