Voting For Mods

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Re: Voting For Mods

Postby Neo Matrix » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Sailors? wrote:I've been meaning to ask you Neo Matrix but where you previously Twist. Twist05 and ofcourse NeoShredder?

Nope, I've always had this name, just didn't post anywhere anyone cared about. I have about the same number of posts as Yama the last time I looked (although I think this thread alone has taken me past his total again). I do remember the name Twist though, and possibly NeoShredder, was he the one who did a lot of graphic art for his sigs etc?
south carmain wrote:that is where you disregard completely my other point, yama wouldn't touch the site or demote ryudo before because of the backlash of a small amount of the community, he just didn't see it worthy of the stress, while enabling the vot this withdraws complete responsibility from him, and it allows for a more harmonious system between members and mods, members who PAY to keep this site running have a say instead of a select few

I complained directly to Yama and peter didn't pay attention when I voiced it vocally and called others trouble makers, in the end the vocal minority were winning because the majority didn't have any power to change things

I didn't disregard it, I just don't see it as necessary because...

Yama wrote:I have to admit, if I had listened to my gut on more than one occasion none of this would have happened. But the other side of me is happy it did, because it's allowing for a forced change that everyone agrees must take place. In ways, I don't think it could have happened any other way here at the Dojo, haha.

...that. That right there (and his post just now) tells me he's now steeled himself for any backlash for his actions rather than rely solely on the vocal people. I've gone through the exact same thing moderating forums and to be honest, you have to distance yourself in these situations as if you were a manager or the inmates will run the asylum. Plus, with all the talk now about people getting ignored, I'm confident he'd be taking that criticism very seriously.

You've mentioned the paying members again without seemingly reading what I said before... I'd be loathe to approve of a "paying members only" group, as that's just huge potential for elitism (95% of isms are bad, mmmk?). However, if Yama was really, and I mean REALLY stuck on a decision, he could PM those paying members and get their thoughts on things before coming to his final decision.

This suddenly appeared in my quote...
south carmain wrote:and I wasn't saying only the paying members get to vote, i was saying this site is kept alive by contributions of members and it wouldn't exist without that, so the members of the site should have a voice as they are the lifeline of this website

everything you are saying is the system that was put in place before

-strict rules for moderators
happened, nothing changed
-pm a mod about your discontent
happened, nothing changed
-voicing your opinion and hope that action will be taken
happened nothing changed
People who work pay taxes, yet get the same healthcare here as people who don't. When election times comes around do those people who pay the taxes get extra votes in what happens? No, and the same applies here in my opinion.

All for the cause of keeping any drama private...

south carmain wrote:you are defending a system that is already implemented and has proven it's lack of efficiency countless times since years now
I don't know what system was in place, I just posted when I felt I could to enjoy it and didn't look at what was happening behind the scenes. I get enough of that elsewhere. So, you're really saying you don't have any confidence in any of the staff and administrators at all even after their words in the threads over the last few hours?
Last edited by Neo Matrix on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby south carmain » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Neo Matrix wrote:......

first of all the whole point I suggested this system was to adress the problem you "just don't see it as necessary now" though it was necessary for years and this system is to counter it in the future if it does happen again, it's a security measure to avoid this exact situation happening again and would avoid countless days of drama over the same thing

and I wasn't singling out the paying members from the rest I was talking about the members as whole, the members do pay for the website wherever you like it or not so the members do deserve a voice (all members it doesnt matter if your name is orange or not) how the hell could I talk about elitism when i'm talking about non paying members having the same rights as paying members, it's as if you hear what you want to hear and disregard everything else
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Yama » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:20 pm

I already stated this but we've discussed this issue in so many threads now, so allow me to put it out there again.

south carmain, If I had followed my better judgement from the start, none of this would have happened. A lot of members did not give me the chance to do so. With that however, I feel this is the way it needed to happen. We're a cohesive unit after the same cause, not a split community. The only thing that stopped me in the past, personally, was not having served enough time here (as an admin at least). I needed time to understand the way everything worked on the inside and backside. I needed time to both make this site my own, while allowing it to be the way everyone else wanted it. Simply put, I needed to make it ours. That care, that passion, that is what made it so difficult for me to pull certain triggers when receiving backlash. Though through a bevy of e-mails I started to realize many people agreed, but simply didn't want to be heard in public. Blue was actually very supportive at the time, just as I was to him later on. Over time however I probably tied the staff back together over five times, it simply wasn't working. Members started to shift a single way, which was easier to process but again, I wanted to appease the entirety of the community, not just a faction. This is where it was clear as day, a lot of what I wanted early on is what the site needed and what everyone seemed to be looking for: unity. This entire escapade proved it once and for all and suddenly there is an entirely different feel around here. A weight is lifted from a lot of our shoulders, even Blue's I think. With that I realized something, it's on me now. This is why there is one very big difference from before which directly ties into what was apparently worrying you: I will do what is right for the community, period. If it angers two or three people, then so be it. Allow them to whine, cry and throw a hissy fit, at least I'll sleep at night knowing I did the right thing and that they'll inevitably be back and when they are, they'll be on a fair and honest website with a grand and cohesive community. And the best part? The fictional opposition previously mentioned won't exist, because I truly believe we're all on the same page now. Worry not, seriously. :)
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby mue 26 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Yama wrote:The ability to vote keeping members around because they feel they weren't heard prior is not a bad idea, but the necessity of it simply says the staff is broken. We won't have the ability to vote, because we won't need it from here on out. The ability to vote more or less says that the staff is not willing to listen, something I've always been willing to do and will be able to act on more now.

Don't worry so much about how things work behind the scenes, simply continue to be upstanding members and all will be just fine. In the future, if you have any concerns or suggestions in regards to mods, simply slip me a PM.

We will have a familiar yet rethought staff being announced, with a potential second wave of additions (1-2) in the near future. Considering the size of the site, activity and overall quality of members, this will work just fine.

As someone who was previously kicking up a bit of dust over the lack a vote system and everything, I just want to say that I am happy with this.

I can understand the argument for a voting system (considering everything this place has been through). But all of the mod problems we had here recently, did pretty much stem from only one moderator. And it seemed to me that Blue was sort of forced onto Yama in the first place, as opposed to having been a genuine pick of his. Yama has experience with forums, and I trust him to pick the right people. And if we have the right person(s) moderating, a small place like this shouldn't need a voting system. I also think everyone will probably be much more open and response about things, after everything we've been through recently.

So personally, I don't really feel the need for a voting system right now. I never even intended to bring it up in the first place in that thread, it was more out of a feeling of frustration that nothing was been done.
Last edited by mue 26 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Neo Matrix » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:24 pm

south carmain wrote:
Neo Matrix wrote:......

first of all the whole point I suggested this system was to adress the problem you "just don't see it as necessary now" though it was necessary for years and this system is to counter it in the future if it does happen again, it's a security measure to avoid this exact situation happening again and would avoid countless days of drama over the same thing
Apologies, that didn't come out right when I re-read it. Please read it again as I've made some edits which hopefully make more sense, including my stance on your paying members thing.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby south carmain » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Neo Matrix wrote:
south carmain wrote:you are defending a system that is already implemented and has proven it's lack of efficiency countless times since years now
I don't know what system was in place, I just posted when I felt I could to enjoy it and didn't look at what was happening behind the scenes. I get enough of that elsewhere. So, you're really saying you don't have any confidence in any of the staff and administrators at all even after their words in the threads over the last few hours?

yes, I'm saying this situation has happened before and even if staff are motivated it could happen again, promises have been made and broken, no offense to yama or anyone else but if they do happen to disregard responsibilities for whatever reasons or side with the culprit for whatever reasons like with ryudo then this system would allow the community to get rid of the mod anyway, it would be a security measure but would need a strict amount of rules to function fairly without being abused, of course I'm willing to give faith in yama and see how it goes but I really think this system could function if this were to happen again

the point of my argument is that if the staff fail us then the website is fucked
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yama » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Biohaze.com - zero problems since 2005, staff that I hand picked from the get go and a TOS that was hand written.

Every forum has issues, problems, trouble makers, etc. It's how you deal with them.

We're fine, trust me. Less worry about the back end and more quality posting does wonders. Also I replied to you above, personally.

Off topic: I love that avatar.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby south carmain » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Yama wrote:Biohaze.com - zero problems since 2005, staff that I hand picked from the get go and a TOS that was hand written.

Every forum has issues, problems, trouble makers, etc. It's how you deal with them.

We're fine, trust me. Less worry about the back end and more quality posting does wonders. Also I replied to you above, personally.

oh don't worry I stated twice that I'm willing to trust you on this, the whole system I was suggesting was hypothetical in case this situation was to happen again, as I said before I understand fully the situation you were in and this was to lift weight off your shoulders but once you stated you were going to run the website it became hypothetical if this situation were to happen in the future

:lol: thanks yours ain't that bad either, glad someone finally said something :roll:
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Yama wrote:Biohaze.com - zero problems since 2005, staff that I hand picked from the get go and a TOS that was hand written.

cough*Stu*cough
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Yama » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:cough*Stu*cough

As Jacko stated, don't feed the trolls.

He is one of those members that is forever in limbo of being a troll or quality, though personally he adds far more than he subtracts, imho. The only member that ever actually went through great lengths due to his presence was Ikari, who wasn't exactly a fair person on all ends through out the years.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:45 pm

A few people seem to be talking like this will come into effect but I just want to see if people think it will work.

Honestly I wouldn't vote for my favorite members but more people who I think would be good at the job. Just looking at the Dojo awards we seem to all be of a similar mindset on what we think about people.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Yama wrote:

He is one of those members that is forever in limbo of being a troll or quality, though personally he adds far more than he subtracts, imho. The only member that ever actually went through great lengths due to his presence was Ikari, who wasn't exactly a fair person on all ends through out the years.

Biohaze?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yama » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Peter wrote:
Yama wrote:

Biohaze?

Yeah. Try joining some time. [-(
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Peter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:48 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Talk about going from sky high, to feeling like an utter cock in less than a second flat.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Must be nice to be a part of a forum with an active game franchise..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue Dojo