Gaming Thoughts Thread [VOTE and DISCUSS]

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

More threads, more activity. Less lost in clutter. Close Gaming Thoughts? (Total votes: 25)

Yes
76%
No
24%

Gaming Thoughts Thread [VOTE and DISCUSS]

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:10 pm

A lot of news worthy posts have been slipped under the rug due to poor categorizing and being lost in cluttered threads. We're doing away with this idea and moving on to a more active nature that allows users to participate easily.

What I am looking into closing is the Gaming Thoughts thread and would like your feedback. A ton and I mean a ton of news is posted there, unseen by 90% of our members. These news bits deserve threads, plain and simple. If there is anything else left to say in the thread, it can be fit under a series thread, new thread (this pushes for better quality) or the now playing thread.

If this is to be closed, I will leave all of the remaining threads in GG open such as Music, Now Playing, Purchases, etc. They are specific and not detrimental to thread creation or activity. Under Now Playing however, it is for blurbs and such. We feel in depth conversation should be shifted to a series thread and if there isn't one, create it.

[DO NOT BE AFRAID TO CREATE NEW THREADS]

The same procedure is going down in GD here, though admittedly there was more to change in that forum.

Yama has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Gaming Thoughts Thread [VOTE and DISCUSS]

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Don't close that please.

Kill the RPG topic viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42807

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:13 pm

I vote to close it since I never really knew what to post in there anyway. Now more than ever since I have a sinking interest in games in general..

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Yes, absolutely. Same process as with the General Discussion topic. I'd like to also see the "insert gaming company/genre here* topics closed, as well. Like you say, I'd prefer each game to have its own topic. When it comes to each game series though, I dunno, maybe leave those ones alone? Bit unsure about that.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Peter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:17 pm

I dont care if theres a million and one topics made per day, it encourages topic activity since people can contribute thoughts on specific topics they have opinions on.

Also i think topics for stand alone games are better. I mean, i dont wanna search for GTA V news or pics in a 189 page "GTA Topic".

Peter has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, St. Elmo's Fire
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Fair do's. So it's going to be sorta similar to NeoGAF, then? New gaming news, new topic?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:21 pm

RPG one needs to go. Don't mind the Gaming Thoughts but would not lose sleep if it was locked.

Think the game series topics should stay.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Peter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Fair do's. So it's going to be sorta similar to NeoGAF, then? New gaming news, new topic?

Yea, i love NeoGaf. I check it everyday, and love the responses and passion each topic gets. :)
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Yes, absolutely. Same process as with the General Discussion topic. I'd like to also see the "insert gaming company/genre here* topics closed, as well. Like you say, I'd prefer each game to have its own topic.

Agreed.
When it comes to each game series though, I dunno, maybe leave those ones alone? Bit unsure about that.

I feel they can stay, though am willing to listen to any opposing views.

Here is why I am fine with them. Instead of topics based on new and popular releases in a franchise, we have series discussion. Ultimately all of the new info will be posted here without fail, though it also gives us a place to talk about past titles that likely wouldn't be thread worthy.

For instance, Biohazard 7 is announced. Of course we'll talk about it, though I doubt someone playing Biohazard 3 would create a thread. This gives them an outlet to discuss it and find like minded individuals easily.

Peter wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: Fair do's. So it's going to be sorta similar to NeoGAF, then? New gaming news, new topic?

Yea, i love NeoGaf. I check it everyday, and love the responses and passion each topic gets. :)

Stopped posting much there due to the overall post quality and mood. Used to love it, even made some huge OT's. Same thing with the old GameSpot in which I modded, just lost quality after merges, staff changes and an overabundance of mainstream overtaking.

Nonetheless, you are right in terms of structure. And I do agree that NeoGAF is still amazing for news, check it all the time. That luckily has never dwindled, along with some great OT's.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:23 pm

Maybe keep the series topics for when people are talking about the current game they are playing but allow new topics to be made in regards to random bits of news on them?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 pm

Please leave the Ys one alone. Only about 4 Ys and Falcom fans so be silly to have 100 topics with 1 reply or 2 replies
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:28 pm

It get's cluttered if we have a different topic for every trailer that comes out for a game. If you have a topic for a game like GTAV if someone posts a trailer chances are that is all that will be talked about until the next bit of news. I think each game deserves it's own topic simply named after the game and maybe as a series.

As for gaming thoughts it's a very meh topic. Chances are you can make a topic or post in an existing one to get your point across.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Thenni dont have a problem with both a specific game and also a general series topic. Makes sense for gaming franchises that have a large number of games, like FF, GTA, Halo, Fifa etc.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:29 pm

I think we still need the series discussion threads but should make individual game threads when new games are announced. Gaming thoughts, however, I could do without.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Ryudo wrote: Please leave the Ys one alone. Only about 4 Ys and Falcom fans so be silly to have 100 topics with 1 reply or 2 replies

Series topics aren't going anywhere at the moment. That would take a lot of restructuring.

Older threads would need to be titled I-IV for instance, while V gets a new OT, etc. I'm not against it, but it's seemingly not happening at the moment.

There will be a lot more threads in regards to general news, etc. Series news can go in their respective threads, as always. General news will get a new thread.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Next

Return to Shenmue Dojo