Documentation Center?

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Documentation Center?

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:46 am

I want to propose the idea of a documentation center for everything Shenmue modding/hacking/tutorials related.

It seems that over time, this information gets lost... That is something I really don't want to happen.

For the past couple of years, I have been toying around with Shenmue and always come to an issue that seems to be resolved by someone on the forum but the method they used are never released.

For instance, how do we change someone's fighting style in Shenmue 1? I took a while to figure this out, only to find out that someone posted that they did it, and proved it, on some random page in a thread.

For the sake of us who love modding and hacking, could we centralize all of this documentation into some sort of knowledge-base?

I could provide some documentation to start with as a test.

Not sure which kind of platform though. Maybe just a basic web page with sections (Drupal, Wordpress, Confluence?)

I am already working on a PoC over on my site: www.jamesreiner.net but its not live yet.

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Giorgio
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: Documentation Center?

Postby Giorgio » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:16 am

Just to say this is an idea that is indeed needed for the Shenmue heritage and also a major gap will be filled in the collective knowledge of Shenmue modding. It will also keep the Shenmue modding community livelier / more active and also easier to contribute for those who want to (and not just be a knowledge for some kind of elite team of people). Applaudable endeavour to pursue!

Giorgio has received a thanks from: shengoro86
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:36 pm

Giorgio wrote: Just to say this is an idea that is indeed needed for the Shenmue heritage and also a major gap will be filled in the collective knowledge of Shenmue modding. It will also keep the Shenmue modding community livelier / more active and also easier to contribute for those who want to (and not just be a knowledge for some kind of elite team of people). Applaudable endeavour to pursue!

Exactly, I feel like the community modding presence is big enough to necessitate the need for a knowledge-base. It would totally help me with some of the stuff I work on. *cough* bike mod *cough*.

Well, even if the idea doesn't pass, I'm still going to aggregate notes into a thread just to have it together somewhere.

Right now, I am updating the patch code guide with David's new memory address hacks.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Giorgio » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:26 pm

And silence over the matter, like in a blissful tranquil serene night surrounded by lullaby crickets, while a soft breeze pass through your cheeks and you mildly stargazing with the North Star as the only light.
Xiuying, I am going to sleep. Sleep tight.

phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:29 am

LOL.

Yup I guess Ill build it on my website and just link it here.

Feel free to lock this topic.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Return to Shenmue Dojo