Raise of file size limit for avatars?

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Raise of file size limit for avatars?

Postby BlueMue » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:08 am

I wanted to ask, if the administrators would be willing to increase the file size limit for avatars on the forums.
I would appreciate if it could be raised a bit. 100kb would be great and even 75kb would be enough for that image size.

You see, 50kb are just way to limited for the image size. I made a nicer version of my avatar just now and I have to go down to quality level 3 of 12 in order to meet the size limit. Naturally the resulting image quality is not pleasant at all anymore.

UDATE: I found that saving the image as a gif allows the file to be much smaller. I saved it as a 256 color gif and it's only 25kb now and it doesn't show any loss in detail and quality. Might be worth trying around with different formats depending on the image you want to use.
Still it would be nice if the limit could be raised so that the users can just use standard JPEGs or even high quality PNGs where it's possible.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: BigTuna
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Raise of file size limit for avatars?

Postby BigTuna » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:58 pm

I'll second this.
I have no plans or any need to upgrade my image size(clearly). But I do remember the required image size being a tad ridiculous.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Master Kyodai » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:51 am

Wow, my avatar is under 3 KB... I must admit i didn't even notice that we allow such big avatars and file sizes.

50 KB is already quite a lot for a stamp sized picture imho. Did you try JPEG format with like 85% quality setting? That still looks damn good and file size is usually reasonable. If you really need gigantic avatars you can upload them to something like your photobucket album (Its free!) and just link to that pic. I think Peter has an avatar that is like a 1 MB animation that he saved to photobucket.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:49 am

Ah, that avatar. Have some fond memories of that avatar back when I was still on dial up a year or so ago. :lol:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Avatars are such a huge past of this place. When I think of a username I can always remember their avatar, and also previous older ones they maybe used to have. SEF used to have a flame with eyes. Teepo used to have that dude from the Patriot at one point. Locke Cole with the anime chick running with a barbell bouncing on her tits. Rhayno G with Alex from Clockwork Orange. Rome and Silas with Shenmues Larry and Cool Z respectively. Hellraiser with Tsang Sung from Mortal Kombat. ChaiOgwa with the monkey. Axm with the Doc and Marty photo from Hill Valley in 1885. Sonniku with the open eye yet winking Sonic. Mike CT with the Hang On .gif. Santino with that Sega Character I think, which I can't remember the name. Pico with the dancing banana. Yama with the Shenhua .gif. Kiyuu with the hand drawn Quizhang. The list goes on and on.

Peter has received a thanks from: Axm
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Locke_cole » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:35 pm

I tried to find a bigger version of my avatar....but I don't even remember what it's from. Ahhhh the good ol days when I watched Anime and Hentai on the regular....
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Return to Shenmue Dojo