Don't you think the time of growth for the Dojo has come?

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Don't you think the time of growth for the Dojo has come?

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:35 pm

I was wondering myself... Shenmue III is a reality, newcomers are arriving more and more each day. Thinking on that, don't you think the dojo should be more embracing, opening space for non-english speakers? Something like creating "international fórum" with languages divisions.

It should bring more Shenmue fans together and spread more information about the game.

it's just an ideia, ok?

The_Fuzileiro has received a thanks from: mceja
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Don't you think the time of growth for the DoJo has come

Postby Peter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:27 pm

Yama is a cool dude and will listen to all and any ideas on how the site could be improved upon. I myself would love to see some modernisation since we now have Shenmue 3, but what exactly to modify or change is where the problem lies.

Any ideas anyone has then by all means, fire away!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Don't you think the time of growth for the Dojo has come

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:00 pm

Maybe another/new board design. The black does't fit to shenmue IMO!
Shenmue_Trilogy
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:59 pm

Unfortunately I only know how to tell you to shut the fuck up in English.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:59 pm

A little bit of 'modernisation' wouldn't hurt; a dedicated board for theories, etc., would be welcome.

Donor groups also need to be given a looking-over; there isn't even a '2016 Donor' group, and I'm still waiting to be accepted as a donor, having donated back in February, I believe.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:27 am

The Forum is fine in my opinion at most it could have some more sections but the website part itself could do with a huge facelift to function more like a normal website.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:06 am

The Dojo's common tongue is English and ultimately you need to have some grasp of the language in order to fully participate. People who can't participate currently because they don't have the standard of English might be better served finding a Shenmue community that caters to their language.

I agree with calls for a visual overhaul of the forum sometime in the future. As more complete, high res modern assets emerge from Shenmue III it might be time to change the forum's look.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:19 am

ShenGCH wrote:and I'm still waiting to be accepted as a donor, having donated back in February, I believe.

That's actually pretty fucked up and not an isolated case...
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:08 am

It was back in the days when there was no news or hope, that the forums were essentially streamlined. But now the franchise is officially alive, there may be cause for some parts of the forum to be expanded.

Personally, id love to see some more attention brought to the social media side of the Shenmue Dojo. It's generally known as a forum, but over the past years it's branched out across all platforms. We have the YouTube Channel, Facebook page, Twitter feed, Instagram page, and in the very near future, the Twitch channel should be going live. Again, not exactly sure how, but I'd like more attention to be drawn to thsee, if even the case that there may be people out there that don't even know they exist.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:23 am

Monkei wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:and I'm still waiting to be accepted as a donor, having donated back in February, I believe.

In the same boat here :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Himuro » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:25 pm

We've had this design for a long time. I agree it's time to update it but not just yet. I think we should wait for Shenmue III's first reveal trailer and new updated models are released so we can have something to work with. Ideally, I think having a new design the day (or week) of III's release would be best because it'd be a large Dojo community thing and would bring us together even more as a way to celebrate what we have achieved as a fanbase and community. Given that we've had this design for so long due to the series being in limbo, it only makes sense that to celebrate a new era of Shenmue with the release of III, the Dojo itself will also get a redesign. This will also allow Yama and co. a lot of time to gather ideas on what they can do.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:39 pm

Monkei wrote:

I'm not too bothered about it, really; I love the Dojo, and I'm happy to support it. I sure do wish I could change the colour of my username, though... :P

I've messaged Yama about it a few times since donating, but never heard anything back.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:02 pm

I think you guys are messing up what I said...

I love the Dojo design! Although some new artwork here and there should bring more beauty to the forum, that's not of most importance in my opinion.

My idea is to make it an open Shenmue space for more Shenmue fans. For those that can't understand a word in english and want to express their passion, love AND support for Shenmue.

Be in mind that every country have their own social limitations and learn another language is not something even reachable, in financial terms I mean...

I'm Brazilian, most of you are watching Rio 2016 Olympics, and if you noticed well through tv news, our country are living in a mess with corruption going on and increasing everyday.

So learn english is not a option for a majority of an illiterate population. And THAT is the point. Open up space for those is the point!

Look... it's not just about Shenmue III being alive... but... the dojo community is now part of all of this! The dojo forum is linked directly from the official shenmue.link site! That's awsome! We together made history already!

Other people should be able to share this love with us... that's crucial for me... that's where I want improvements to be made.
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby south carmain » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:09 pm

^How many people like that can there be when Shenmue was only released in Japanese and English? Apart from japanese section I can't see a foreign section working too well.

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Raithos
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:43 am

The forum could probably use an overhaul, just like the website itself. Content-wise I think we're fine as far as the website is concerned. There's nothing really "missing".

As for the languages, I'm not sure. There is the French only Shenmue Master, which has been delivering fantastic content to Shenmue fans all over the world again and again and there is the German language Shenmue blog Shenmue.de, both of which are referenced on shenmue.link. So French and German are more or less covered by other people already.

The only language I could see making sense is Japanaese. I find it odd Shenmue's official website doesn't even link to a Japanese Shenmue fansite.

Sure there are a lot of languages whith a lot of speakers besides English, but how many people without sufficient command of English could have played Shenmue 1 or 2? Please keep in mind there has never been a Shenmue game in a language other than English and Japanese so far.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue Dojo