Don't you think the time of growth for the Dojo has come?

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Re: Don't you think the time of growth for the Dojo has come

Postby ys » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:57 pm

I'm sympathetic towards the idea but am not sure if the subforums would be used a lot? I've been part of the staff for some physics course with its own forum. There, we had a subforum where people could create threads for any language. My general observation was that threads for a few languages were made on the first day. People basically said hi, told where they were from, why they joined the course and after that, not much more. All serious discussion and questions for us about the lesson content eventually moved to the main forum. I've seen a similar pattern in other places.
Another slight disadvantage is that the forums get slightly less cohesive. Maybe cooperating with Shenmue sites dedicated to other languages is preferrable as others suggested?
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:20 am

Come to think of it though is this place really active enough to warrant an expansion? The dojo feels less active than when I joined honestly, maybe because regulars aren't as active anymore.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:23 am

Being completely up front, I've spoken with 2 relatively new members recently who said they were put off being active here. One was put off by its reputation, and the other did join and post, but had a heated debate with a couple of members and basically didn't want to post here anymore.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:34 am

Heated debates are just a part of forum life though. Seems to me he was just being overly sensitive.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Raithos
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:39 am

That's more or less what I thought. I couldn't really offer any advice. Internet forums allow for long posts and multi opinions. People these days seem to like a 1/2 sentence comment, followed by a thumbs up from everyone who agrees with the comment.

This place has always been that way. It's either for you or not for you. But forums in general seem more for an older generation who enjoy a chat and debate, rather than a flash comment or link, which is certainly what's more popular in this day and age. Also more for people out of habit also. On that note, even though it may not be a possibility, id love a "select skin" option, where in a click, you could have the proper old Dojo look back. Just for complete nostalgia purposes.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:55 am

Listening all opinions made... I realized that maybe all this "Shenmue love" shit I said is just in my own head and a bunch of others. Being honest... I wanted a "brazillian space" here to try to gather some more fans in a place without haters, where most non-dedicated forums have a huge amount of them. The dojo is being a place where I shared all my hopes, opinions and passion for Shenmue for more than 10 years I guess... and where I learned so much about Shenmue history. I've never see a brazillian dedicated forum of Shenmue... but with the event of the third installment being a reality, I saw a lot of fans in my country "rising from the ashes", without an appropriate place to talk about and that sittuation started to bother me.

I don't have the knowledge to build my own Shenmue brazillian dedicated site, so an international sub-forum should be perfect, but once again... from what I heard here, that's just an improvement "I" thought should be good.
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:58 pm

The wish for a Brazilian space or let's say a Portuguese language space is totally understandable. There must have been remarkable support from Brazil and Portugal since YS Net have added an extra stretch goal for Portuguese subtitles during the KS campaign, making Portuguese the only language which got added to S3 that was not planned for initially. Also we have a lot of Portuguese native speakers here on the forum, but those guys speak good English, just like you.

So I guess it's fair to assume that there is a Portuguese-speaking fanbase for Shenmue. I'm not doubting that. But with the website being English only it will be kind of hard to attract all those people here, especially those who do not read English.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby IrishNinja » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:11 pm

i know social media/etc ate into forums, a lotta classic gaming ones i patronize have taken hits over the recent years...despite, you know, renewed interest in classic gaming, haha. i'm sure mark from CGR would attribute this to YT & the like, but i'm always happy to see this place grow!
IrishNinja
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: TheIrishNinja
XBL: The NZA 2099
Nintendo FC: IrishNinja
Steam: The NZA
Currently playing: Guardian Heroes

Postby KiBa » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:20 am

south carmain wrote: Come to think of it though is this place really active enough to warrant an expansion? The dojo feels less active than when I joined honestly, maybe because regulars aren't as active anymore.

The Old Ones ascended to a higher level of consciousness long ago and now communicate solely by means of telepathy. Our thoughts are no longer bound by space and time, nor even by individuality. We are One. Though you may see nothing but desolation here, we are always with you. For we are the Dojo itself.

Meditate in total darkness for twenty minutes daily upon the repetition of the sound 'ta-lay-roon' until you feel a cold wave pass down through your head and the inside of your mind will be filled with light. This is the portal to our eternal city. Touch and enter. Yes, join us. Ascend. Ascend. Ascend.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:25 am

Peter wrote: Being completely up front, I've spoken with 2 relatively new members recently who said they were put off being active here. One was put off by its reputation, and the other did join and post, but had a heated debate with a couple of members and basically didn't want to post here anymore.

Unfortunately we have a few argumentative idiots that like to stir the pot around here. One thing that has decreased my personal activity around this place, comments and responses around here often turn into the similarity and intelligence level of a youtube comments section. I feel a complete lack of respect from certain members towards other members, at this point I just pick who I choose to respond to, just the fact that i have to have a few people on ignore around here because they are just legitimately scum bag filth that love to bang on a keyboard to put down people online for kicks while placing themselves on some kind of superior pedestal "im right you're wrong, here is why, now gtfo idiot" kind of attitude could make me see why new members, on top of almost non existant activity, are so put off from sticking around. the negative vibes get a little too real around here some times.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:27 am

Fuck off you little whopper.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Kiske » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:20 am

Despite being relatively new here, I enjoy the discussions and have learned tons of things about Shenmue.

My only gripe would be that surprisingly, although I'm convinced this is the place to be if you are a Shenmue fan, it's pretty quiet.

It's probably meant to change with the growth of Shenmue 3 news and hopefully if and when SEGA will announce Shenmue HD, but anyway, it would not be a bad idea to make the "Dojo" more confy in the meanwhile.
New skins, language subsections, (I would not be against moderation task in a french or italian subforum for example) etc...
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby KiBa » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:02 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I feel a complete lack of respect from certain members towards other members

Love means growing to a complete lack of respect for one another.

KiBa has received a thanks from: Monkei
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:30 pm

The priority should be the site rather the forum.

Shenmuedojo.net is the 4th most referenced site on Google for "Shenmue" keyword and the 7th on duckduckgo.com but the site itself really feels outdated.
Another problem is that the site is not community friendly at all with the news and the real comments section (the forum one, not the news) not being directly related. I think it's a potential slowdown to the community growth.

The other slowdown is Shenmue itself. You cannot do miracles with a non-existing solo game having a such poor actuality.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Monkei
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby KiBa » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:17 pm

The community is the priority.

The real issues with perceived and real non-participation here are two: 1) that forums are no longer the main locus of communication on da interwebz -- social media is. Forums are like BBS to younglings now, and 2) until Shenmue 1 & 2 are remade and released, the Shenmue saga will remain a mystery to casuals, except what they know about Shenmue 3 in the news. Keeping in mind perspective, I can remember the first time I played Shenmue. I can also pretend by means of shifting the timeline in my imagination how much I would have cared in 1999 about the long-awaited third game of a 16 year old series being released to much fanfare; to wit, I wouldn't care at all about a game series that came out in 1983. So, let's get real. Shenmue is nothing more than a myth from the ancient past to the vast majority of modern gamers. When Shenmue HD is released (and it will be because digital remakes are profitable and Shenmue will stay in the news and HD Shenmue saga practically means tripling Shenmue 3 profits), these forums will probably see more regulars and more enthusiasm. I don't expect today's 14 year olds or their millennial parents to buy 16 year old hardware to play one old game. We're all waiting Sega management out. Nothing more to it. There's nothing wrong with
MiTT's personality. He is a pillar of this community, one we should all sit on.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue Dojo