Realistically, do you think Shenmue 3 will happen?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Realistically, do you think Shenmue 3 will happen?

Postby BlueMue » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Unfortunately there're seemingly no officially correct sales figures for any of the Shenmue games.
I have looked around on vgchartz and the numbers there are really low but I don't think they are correct.
They are definately incomplete as they don't list anything for Shenmue II PAL.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:30 am

mue 26 wrote: A million? Err, that's like really a lot, isn't it? It surely didn't sell that much over here, right?

Not really a lot considering it's budget and extensive marketing, in fact pretty low considering it was the game that was supposed to sell the dreamcast
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:43 am

From the trailers I've seen they did a pretty shocking job of marketing the game as anything but a cinematic experience, which was as appealing to the mass market then as Quantic Dream's latest games are now. As a project that required millions of dollars to redefine a genre, Shenmue required greater explanation to the public, and that simply wasn't provided in a system-selling way by Sega.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby mue 26 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:29 am

south carmain wrote:
mue 26 wrote: A million? Err, that's like really a lot, isn't it? It surely didn't sell that much over here, right?

Not really a lot considering it's budget and extensive marketing, in fact pretty low considering it was the game that was supposed to sell the dreamcast

That might be so, but I mean, if that figure is correct then it would suggest it sold just as well- if not better- in Japan as it did in the US or UK. Which should surely cause us to question the notion that Shenmue wasn't as appealing to the Japanese as it was to us. But then it also raises the question of why the Japanese Shenmue fan community faded away much faster than we did. Maybe the initial sales in Japan were due to the hype, but it didn't resonate with them as much as it did with those in the west who played it?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:57 am

^considering the sales of Shenmue 2 in Japan were 4-5 times lower than for Shenmue 1 I can just assume that people bought it on hype but didn't like it enough to continue with the series

south carmain has received a thanks from: mue 26
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:26 am

So S2 sold nearly a million in the UK? No way?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:44 am

^lol I didn't say that
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:45 am

Oh sorry man, misread that shit :(
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:24 pm

GKDAIR wrote: I'm about to experience Shenmue 1 for the first time ever, and later on in a few months, Shemue 2.

I know every now and then we get rumors or speculation, or even teased by Sega. But in all honesty, do you ever think we will see Shenmue 3.

I've got a recent theory on Shenmue III.

If the Twitter campaign succeeds and Sega sell the license to Yu Suzuki, he and his company, YS Net, will make a mobile game.

If Sega decide to pursue it themselves, given their new strategy and direction, they will make a mobile game.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby gregiorp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:39 pm

I believe it will be made. My only question is who will end up making it in the end?

I just hope its made by the right person/team and not turned into something like Duke Nukem was.
gregiorp
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby gabril » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:28 pm

well... i'm a dreamer for sure, but watching on about shenmue as mobile game is simply a shit... an horrible future for me....

I simply hope that a day Yu Suzuki will re-enter into SEGA and then, again, as director he will led this magnificent project to bring another time, his masterpieces like SHENMUE I and II, and obviously his Shenmue III, the already designed last episode for this Stunning and irripetible series :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
gabril
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Europa Universalis4

Postby white lotus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:31 pm

There will always be a little bit of me that never gives up hope for the series' continuation, but realistically...it's been years. I do have hope in this coming generation, especially with Suzuki-san talking to Mark Cerny from Sony. Shenmue and Shenmue 2 will always be my favorite games. I don't have an Xbox or 360 anymore, but I still kept Shenmue 2X (and the JSRF and Sega GT combo). Shenmue changed the way I looked at video games and it will always be near and dear to my heart. So will the Dojo.
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby SledgeNE » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:50 am

I think it will come - once beautiful day. But we must have patience. Half-Life is a bigger trademark and you can see, a new chapter of Valve's Series will be missed by now.

I LOVE the first two games. They are gems in Videogame-History and i will hope Yu Suzuki will continue his fantastic Games. If not, then i will hope they bringing out a book with the final story.
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Mr. Frozen » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:44 pm

I do not think Shenmue 3 will happen. It has been too long since Shenmue 2, and all of the old fans are either too old to have the time to invest in the game or just don't care about Shenmue anymore. I would love to be proven wrong but honestly if Shenmue 3 was released tomorrow I don't think I will play it right away because I don't have the same amount of free time as I did back when I was 13. That doesn't mean I will not play it, though...

If they do release Shenmue 3 it will be to a new audience and the game will probably be something that we do not recognize.

Mr. Frozen has received a thanks from: Perfect_Chaos
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:29 am

I agree with Mr. Frozen thats its just not gonna happen BUT if it did it would be something we wouldnt recognize. im at the point where i just dont give a fuck if Shenmue 3 comes out because ide rather appreciate the 2 games we did get. those 2 games are why we want shenmue 3 in the first place.
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Previous

Return to Shenmue III