Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Zoltor » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:13 pm

Kiske wrote:
Peter wrote: Nah me neither. I hate.... hate to sound like a negative git here, especially after the faith and hope seen over the past year for Shenmue, but because this is Sega, I really have doubts that we will see it. Not because of licencing, but just because of the current climate of the company and the direction they are heading in. Add that to their attitude towards Shenmue over the years, I just can't see them stepping up and putting it into production.

Shenmue 3 is different. Yu was able to use his position with Sega to pull the trigger and get get rights to the franchise. But for Sega themselves to re-enter the market with a Shenmue release, I honestly just can't see it happening. I hope I am wrong though.

Well, we just have to keep up the fight with the #SaveShenmueHD campaign then.

What else can we do?

Oh yes... hope that a Kickstarter Campaign is not off the table (for HD remasters) if eventually SEGA ends up with a NO GO for Shenmue 1&2 HD. (I'm half serious with the Kickstarter thing...)

I've set my personal hopes deadline to E3 2017... if nothing happens by then, I'll assume Shenmue 3 will be on it's own to save the franchise.

There is a big difference between Shenmue 3, and the original games. Shenmue 3 doesn't exist, which is the reason let let Yo have it. Sega has just about always took the stance, that if they are not going to publish one of their games, they damn well not going to allow it to happen, it doesn't matter how much people want it or how much money another company throws at them.

Hell do you guys remember the whole 7th Dragon BS, It's not even Sega's IP, but they had exclusive rights to publishing it, and they took the stance, if they don't want to publish it, they sure as hell aren't going to let anyone else do it, nor do they care about what the gaming scene wants(Sega doesn't care about money, and they are just lazy assholes who don't want to do anything, yet wont even allow someone else to pick up the slack).

Literally every publisher wanted to bring it over, it was so wanted, that even Nintendo took note, and made public announcements saying, "they want to bring such over", in hopes to force Sega's hand or atleast get Sega to let go, but they still didn't budge.

They bought ATLUS of all people, yet wont even have they publish their games outside of Japan, I mean WTF who buys the best localization company in the industry, and does nothing with them.

Yea unless It's called Sonic, good luck trying to get them to release something outside of Japan, nevermind rerelease a IP they probally hate, at all(look at all the rereleases of games over the years, the Shenmue games are what two of only 3 or so games they haven't rereleased at all).
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:37 pm

Hmm... Isn't it the Coca-Cola who should pay sega for advertising?

Releasing HD'remaster (remake, remix, redo, re-whatever-you-call-it) is a matter of will. Sega does not want Shenmue to happen and sees it as a zombie rising up from a grave. Shocked and confused by the success of the kickstarter campaign, they decided to cash from it as much as possible and bury it for good at last.
That statement is BS. Guys! It is! You know it is, you're just too desperate to acknowledge it. I'm desperate too. We all are. But the fact is that sega does not care for it's fans. Not only regarding Shenmue. There's almost the same story with nearly all of sega's franchises. Eather dead silence, or the game is JP-only and if it is not, then the it's crap. Phantasy Star players around? Ask them about "sega listening to fans"!
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Zoltor » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:11 pm

-=SPZ=-47 wrote: Hmm... Isn't it the Coca-Cola who should pay sega for advertising?

Releasing HD'remaster (remake, remix, redo, re-whatever-you-call-it) is a matter of will. Sega does not want Shenmue to happen and sees it as a zombie rising up from a grave. Shocked and confused by the success of the kickstarter campaign, they decided to cash from it as much as possible and bury it for good at last.
That statement is BS. Guys! It is! You know it is, you're just too desperate to acknowledge it. I'm desperate too. We all are. But the fact is that sega does not care for it's fans. Not only regarding Shenmue. There's almost the same story with nearly all of sega's franchises. Eather dead silence, or the game is JP-only and if it is not, then the it's crap. Phantasy Star players around? Ask them about "sega listening to fans"!

Yes, in a world of logic, but American companies are retarded sigh. Lol people don't buy games because a company has product placement, if anything It's the other way around, It's advertising for the product.

Hell, US companies want to pass a law that would make it illegal to show any image of any kind, with their product in it(yea, even taking pictores in you house would be illegal, if there a couch or whatever mass produced product shown in the pic), unless people pay X companies royalties.

Exactly, even after they cried, and begged for forgiveness, plus promised they would start doing right by their fans, they have yet to do anything to show, that they weren't BSing.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:32 am

...You are not going to tell me that the outlook for Shenmue HD looks worse now than before the SEGA statement?

It's not time (yet) to give up the fight... let's #SaveShenmueHD!
Last edited by Kiske on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiske has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:19 am

Kiske wrote: Image

...You are not going to tell me that the outlook for Shenmue HD looks worst now than before the SEGA statement?

Oh, we'll get a Shenmue HD, but it wont be from Sega, that's for damn sure, the fan project will continue after the Shenmue 3 release.

Sega doesn't change their minds, they're morons with principle, if they don't want to do something, that's it, and there's nothing you can do, to get them to do such.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Monkei » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:34 am

Riiiight, Zoltan. Letting Yu Suzuki do Shenmue 3, releasing Yakuza 5 outside of Japan.. that's all stuff Sega would never do, because "principles". Nobody could ever convince them to do something like that, no matter what. Too damn bad.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:58 am

Zoltor wrote:

...You are not going to tell me that the outlook for Shenmue HD looks worst now than before the SEGA statement?

Oh, we'll get a Shenmue HD, but it wont be from Sega, that's for damn sure, the fan project will continue after the Shenmue 3 release.

Sega doesn't change their minds, they're morons with principle, if they don't want to do something, that's it, and there's nothing you can do, to get them to do such.

Zoltor wrote:There is a big difference between Shenmue 3, and the original games. Shenmue 3 doesn't exist, which is the reason let let Yo have it. Sega has just about always took the stance, that if they are not going to publish one of their games, they damn well not going to allow it to happen, it doesn't matter how much people want it or how much money another company throws at them.

You've achieved to make two opposite assertions on the same single page of discussion.

Anyway, after their recent statement and October 2015 rumors...

... I think that eventually before Shenmue 3 gets released, SEGA will be forced to make an official statement about whether or not they are going to release Shenmue HD.

By the way, sorry everybody for getting so much OT... #-o
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby oreh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:50 am

Zoltor is just a dumbass. Where is that fight you can find every day in Shenmue 1 huh?
oreh
Banned
Banned

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:36 pm

Kiske wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

Zoltor wrote:There is a big difference between Shenmue 3, and the original games. Shenmue 3 doesn't exist, which is the reason let let Yo have it. Sega has just about always took the stance, that if they are not going to publish one of their games, they damn well not going to allow it to happen, it doesn't matter how much people want it or how much money another company throws at them.

You've achieved to make two opposite assertions on the same single page of discussion.

Anyway, after their recent statement and October 2015 rumors...

... I think that eventually before Shenmue 3 gets released, SEGA will be forced to make an official statement about whether or not they are going to release Shenmue HD.

By the way, sorry everybody for getting so much OT... #-o

No they aren't opposites. They aren't going to allow a official one, due to such, there wont be a rerelease of the Shenmue games, where its really needed(on consoles), it will be PC, and digital only.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ali » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:33 am

My thoughts? I've been waiting for this game for 14 years. My only thoughts are to finish this amazing story that has contributed so much to my life. I remember growing up on these boards back when we would spend everyday wishing for any hint of news regarding S3. I'm just happy we've made it to this point. The happiness is bitter sweet really. Our wait for S3 is a great analogy for life. You may want something so bad and you may get it, just 14 years later :D .
Ali
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Monkei » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:42 am

Peter wrote:Shenmue 3 is different. Yu was able to use his position with Sega to pull the trigger and get get rights to the franchise. But for Sega themselves to re-enter the market with a Shenmue release, I honestly just can't see it happening. I hope I am wrong though.

Yu wasn't able to "pull the trigger" for more than a decade though. Shenmue 3 started to happen after it was #1 on Sony's list, followed by the western release of Yakuza 5. Both happened because Sony's third party relations team talked to Sega and came to an arrangement with them. They might still be able to do the same for Shenmue 1&2 HD, should they be interested in it.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Zoltor » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:28 am

Monkei wrote:
Peter wrote:Shenmue 3 is different. Yu was able to use his position with Sega to pull the trigger and get get rights to the franchise. But for Sega themselves to re-enter the market with a Shenmue release, I honestly just can't see it happening. I hope I am wrong though.

Yu wasn't able to "pull the trigger" for more than a decade though. Shenmue 3 started to happen after it was #1 on Sony's list, followed by the western release of Yakuza 5. Both happened because Sony's third party relations team talked to Sega and came to an arrangement with them. They might still be able to do the same for Shenmue 1&2 HD, should they be interested in it.

No, the Sony publishing was just a + at the end of the day, the real turning poind, was that the extremely isolated from the outside world Japanese, finally started to develop a indie scene(such existed in the US since the early 90s, and EU almost as long, but the Japanese still mostly don't know a PC can be used for more then playing MMOs, and doing online banking, so needless to say, it took much longer for the Japanese to develop a indie scene), and the actual event that triggered the thought of making major games as a indie developer, was Mighty # 9.

In the end, Mighty # 9 may have failed big time, but it sparked a chain reaction, not to mention there are other major crowd funded indie games that have succeeded, so I don't suspect It's going to reverse its self, the change was put in motion, and It's basically a run away train now.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:34 am

I don't think this thread is for you zoltor as "thoughts" implies thinking.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Zoltor » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:46 am

south carmain wrote: I don't think this thread is for you zoltor as "thoughts" implies thinking.

I'm posting facts asshole.

It would've happened even without Sony, maybe it would've ended up as a digital only, or a more strictly story based game(aka like Yu said would happen if the kickstarter just hit the 2m goal), but it would've happened even without Sony.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:54 am

lol
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

PreviousNext